Old 03-18-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Investing in biotech

From @StockTwits: Biotech is the best performing sector of the decade:

2015 (so far) +17%
2014 +34%
2013 +67%
2012 +29%

Huge breakthrough in oncology area. People will live longer because of these progresses and you will need more treatment and more $$$. Recalibrate your er model and invest in this business to fund your medical expense down the road. I remember one member said here using your AT&T dividend to pay your monthly phone bills. Same idea here.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
i7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can someone explain what a bubble is? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Can someone explain what a bubble is? :-)
No idea, but I'm going to get some biotek stuff right away, so I'll have some if I get sick
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Looking at Biotech ETFs.. any recommendations, particularly BIB?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

I started investing a little into a Biotech fund in my Fidelity IRA. I started back in November, and have been putting in a little each month. Total return as of last night is about 29.5%.

Kinda makes me wish I'd put in a bit more.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

I have owned Fidelity Select Biotech, FBIOX, for over a year and a half. Very volatile but very rewarding.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have owned Fidelity Select Biotech, FBIOX, for over a year and a half. Very volatile but very rewarding.
Same for me, it has been a fun ride for my approx 9 mos in the same fund. I plan to keep it, I see biotech as one area with good potential. Volatility is not a concern if you hold for longer term.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I shorted biotech recently, just hoping for a quick few bucks. Lost a bit of money.

I then remember that people lost their shirt shorting internet and tech stocks in 1999. To short something, better wait until it has fallen off its horse.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Same for me, it has been a fun ride for my approx 9 mos in the same fund. I plan to keep it, I see biotech as one area with good potential. Volatility is not a concern if you hold for longer term.
I figure that if FBIOX goes up too much, I'll simply stop dollar-cost averaging into it. And if it goes up so much that it throws off my portfolio, sell off a bit.

Being a rollover IRA, this isn't money I plan on touching until sometime after 59 1/2, so a good 15 years or more away for me.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
++

3 years here. I sold it once, swore it was too hot and I'd never touch it again. I couldn't resist came back, I'm feeling it's too bubbly up here, but I haven't walked away.

@Brat are you watching BIB for trade or investment? Whenever I buy in the future will just be IBB. I worry this thing is "long in the tooth", but IDK.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I should opt for a cooler health care investment such as VHT. Wondering around still, considered IBB but FBT is concentrated on big pharma. I think the larger pharma firms buy out the successful smaller ones to reduce risk.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #12

IBB is the best ETF if you want to play in this space. For individual ones, I'll suggest large caps, e.g. AMGN, BIIB, CELG, GILD. 2 of them also pay dividends as well. Large pharma company will have issues moving forward with lower r&d productivity (reason why you er'ed from megacorp) and pricing pressure from ACA. They will buy smaller ones and will pay huge premium. If you have connections with some big name doctors in your area, they will tell you what's going to be hot in next few years. You can put small amount of gambling money on them. Can be a wild ride, for example, PCYC, JUNO, BLUE, KITE.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #13

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1427060647.312255.jpg

Old 03-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are interested in individual stocks take a look at EXAS.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

All I can say is....

WHEEEEEE!!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Did any of you watch the 60 Minutes package on the use of a virus to kill a deadly brain tumor. They did a brief interview of the scientist to proposed the approach as well as patients in the initial testing. I found it fascinating.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Did any of you watch the 60 Minutes package on the use of a virus to kill a deadly brain tumor. They did a brief interview of the scientist to proposed the approach as well as patients in the initial testing. I found it fascinating.
Yes they were using a modified polio virus. Treating Glioblastoma tumors which I thought were 100% fatal.

Whatever it is, a good friend of mine is in a different clinical trial for that same terrible disease. He was told to get his affairs in order as he had 4-6 months to live. Its been close to 3 years and he's doing well.

The polio treatment sounds very promising, better than what my friend went through.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I want into IBB. I actually bought 300 shares when it was $200 something last year but then quickly sold them after thinking on it and deciding it was too high and bubbly. Now if I want back into IBB it is $366

I suck so bad.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Proud owner of FBIOX and IBB. I hang onto FBIOX waiting for post retirement when I can go for 0% capital gains rate. I buy and sell IBB often, the volatility gives opportunity of 1-2% short term gains. Whenever it dives I buy and set auto sell level for gain. I do this with the gambling money portion of my portfolio.

Rothman is offline   Reply With Quote