Join Early Retirement Today

IRA Rollover and picking funds - Sanity check
Old 04-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IRA Rollover and picking funds - Sanity check

I am moving money out of my old 401K finally. (I am leaving some there until 59.5 yrs old just in case, but slowly getting most of my money out.) I say "finally" because my 401K provider only allows me to take money out from all funds proportionately (you cannot pick which fund to take the money out of), so I waited until DJIA came back up to ~18000 and all my funds were going better.

Anyway, my old 401K is filled with some strange/obscure mutual funds, and they don't have broader/diversified funds so I ended up having a dozen funds to make it work for me. Now that I can have my money in the rollover IRA at Fidelity, the list below is what I am thinking of doing (kind of a lazy/passive investing...)

VTI (Total Stock) 36%
VXUS (Total Int'l) 6%
BND (Total bond) 18%
VCIT(intermediate corp bond) 18%
VWINX (Wellesley) 19%
VNQ (REIT) 3%

This is about 50/50 asset allocation which the Fidelity advisor said would give me almost as good a result as having it at 65/35 when I had the free consultation last spring. (I did move over to 50/50 after the consultation, which I thought was a good idea also especially because I was also going to start the draw-down phase...)

Does this look OK? I am thinking of going in after the market settles *down*....
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

If it were me and I was looking to get to 50/50 then I would go either 1) 35% VTI, 15% VXUS and 50% VCIT or 2) 50% Wellesley and 50% Wellington (these are 35/65 and 65/35 respectively as I recall so the net would be 50/50)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If it were me and I was looking to get to 50/50 then I would go either 1) 35% VTI, 15% VXUS and 50% VCIT or 2) 50% Wellesley and 50% Wellington (these are 35/65 and 65/35 respectively as I recall so the net would be 50/50)
Thank you very much for your post! Can I ask you a couple of questions?

Q1: You would do either 1) or 2) to simply? (I am asking just to clarify.)
Q2: I like that you removed BND and kept VCIT. I don't really like BND (lower yield), but here is the question. I am supposed to have funds that negatively correlate (or have no correlation) with equity. For this hedging purpose, I was assuming BND is better, only because VCIT contain corp bonds and they may move in the similar direction as equity? That was just my guess and that was the only reason I added BND to VCIT on the list. I would love to hear your opinion.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are at Fidelity, look for commission free ETFs and funds. IVV is the S&P Ishares fund. DVY is the dividend aristocrats.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thank you very much for your post! Can I ask you a couple of questions?

Q1: You would do either 1) or 2) to simply? (I am asking just to clarify.)
Q2: I like that you removed BND and kept VCIT. I don't really like BND (lower yield), but here is the question. I am supposed to have funds that negatively correlate (or have no correlation) with equity. For this hedging purpose, I was assuming BND is better, only because VCIT contain corp bonds and they may move in the similar direction as equity? That was just my guess and that was the only reason I added BND to VCIT on the list. I would love to hear your opinion.
Q1: To me, six of one or a half dozen of the other. Both are pretty simple, but 1 probably has a lower ER but 2 has the advantage of active management.

Q2: I'm not keen on BND because it has so many Treasuries which has low returns.... Warren Buffett characterized Treasuries as "return-free risk" a couple years ago and I agree... I like corporates better.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
If you are at Fidelity, look for commission free ETFs and funds. IVV is the S&P Ishares fund. DVY is the dividend aristocrats.
Thank you for your comment, Senator. I do have DVY in my taxable - I have had it for several years and I love it. I am planning to keep my tax-deferred as broad as possible, however.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Q1: To me, six of one or a half dozen of the other. Both are pretty simple, but 1 probably has a lower ER but 2 has the advantage of active management.

Q2: I'm not keen on BND because it has so many Treasuries which has low returns.... Warren Buffett characterized Treasuries as "return-free risk" a couple years ago and I agree... I like corporates better.
Thank you, pb4uski. I can relate - I like corporate bonds better also, but I am not sure if they act like a hedge for stocks (maybe no bonds act as a protection against possible stock declines anymore anyway...)
Old 04-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am with Fidelity (now thanks to great advice from this board) IVV & DVY are core holdings as are IWV & FUSEX. On the Bond side I am split between FUBFX & FLBAX.

The Spartan funds hold up well to other low expense funds. All my finds are no transaction fee funds and my overall Expense rate is 0.157%. (DVY is the highest at 0.39%)
PapaBear67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear67 View Post
I am with Fidelity (now thanks to great advice from this board) IVV & DVY are core holdings as are IWV & FUSEX. On the Bond side I am split between FUBFX & FLBAX.

The Spartan funds hold up well to other low expense funds. All my finds are no transaction fee funds and my overall Expense rate is 0.157%. (DVY is the highest at 0.39%)
Thank you PapaBear. Yeah, I do like DVY too. What kind of ratio do you have DVY, S&P and Russell in? I am thinking of getting VTI and maybe I could add DVY, but my stock part of the portfolio would get more convervative as I increase DVY (VTI is a blend while DVY is a value as far as I can tell, but maybe that is a good thing, plus the dividends on DVY compared to VTI is definitely appealing..)
Old 04-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thank you PapaBear. Yeah, I do like DVY too. What kind of ratio do you have DVY, S&P and Russell in? I am thinking of getting VTI and maybe I could add DVY, but my stock part of the portfolio would get more convervative as I increase DVY (VTI is a blend while DVY is a value as far as I can tell, but maybe that is a good thing, plus the dividends on DVY compared to VTI is definitely appealing..)
Overall I am ~ 65-35. My split between IVV, IWV, and DVY is even. It's about 60% of the 65%...about $125k each. For now I'll rebalance once a quarter or so, and keep them even.
PapaBear67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear67 View Post
Overall I am ~ 65-35. My split between IVV, IWV, and DVY is even. It's about 60% of the 65%...about $125k each. For now I'll rebalance once a quarter or so, and keep them even.
Thank you for sharing. Wow, you have huge holdings of those funds including DVY. Like I said, I have DVY, but a fraction of what you have. I got most of the shares in 2009 and 2010, and I haven't bought many since then because prices were so much higher but I am thinking of starting again because of the high dividends.