Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dash man presented a fine blueprint for success.

Something else to consider is where your new contributions come from. If 15k is going to your 401k next year, it would be best to hold a broad category or two there. It is simpler to rebalance with new contributions.

If you design a revamped portfolio with this in mind, you can go for very long periods without thinking through complicated moves.

target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I don't have a problem with so many accounts, but you could have some cost savings by consolidating.

Also, those percentages are going to vary every day with price changes, additions and deductions. I'd certainly recommend a meta service that will watch over all the accounts and give an instant view of allocations. Two (free) services I've tried for this: and

43 and FIREd.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
I was finally able to get my data input into Morningstar for a quick X-ray which I attached to this post for your viewing. It looks fairly solid but I would love your opinions.

According to there analysis, I need to expose myself more to Health-Care, Energy and Industrials. I am all for exposing myself to Healthcare in 2014.

They also recommend I expose myself more to "Classic Growth" and Cylical which I am a bit unsure of.

I would like to follow Animorph's philisphy of targeting asset allocation with the $14361.66 I have to invest before years end.

Since Morningstar recommends healthcare, and JPatrick recommends comparing ETF's I will most-likely dump a chunk into a Healthcare ETF, I also would like more exposure to SmallCaps value and growth as I think it would also help diversify.

What are your thoughts on my rambling.

kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
So I ran some quick numbers and the cash that I will be putting into retirement will be 27% of my overall investment portfolio.

By having a 27% influx of cash in 2013, I feel it is critical I understand my AA so I can properly target that.

I completely understand the idea of picking funds for active 401k(s) that agree with the AA I have chosen. In understanding this, I have chose to allocate into MAEQX Large Blend (influx will comprise 10% of existing portfolio assets) and SASMX Small Growth(influx will comprise 21% of existing portfolio).

Knowing the weight that I should end up with in 2014 I can work backwards to achieve a desired AA. This all makes sense to me.

So I am at that point and based on the feedback and my research I feel that putting the end of year influx of 11198.88 or this additional 27% of cash into potentially:

PSCH - HealthCare SmallGrowth ETF
VHT - HealthCare Large Growth ETF
IBB - HealthCare BioTech Large Growth ETF

I am leaning towards ruling out IBB unless anyone violently objects on the basiss that it barely kept pace with the DOW and VHT is a similar performing ETF with a lower expense ratio.

So I think I found 2 winners, and I want to expose myself to more index/equities so I will be splitting 1/3 PSCH, 1/3 VHT and the remaining 1/3 will be put into VTI to get me some ETF Index / Equities exposure. I love diversification...probably too much.

What are your thoughts?

kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote