Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,417
My pretty...
__________________

__________________
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 3,055
Buying physical gold is not worth it. You have a very high transaction cost, and then storage fees. When you sell, another high transaction cost.

We are headed for deflation, not inflation. The entire world cannot be in deflation, and the USA in inflation. Regardless of the money printed, top line revenue growth of most companies is slowing. Commodities are some of the lowest prices ever. Wages are falling.

If you really want gold, buy GLD as an ETF as a hedge, not an investment. Limit your exposure.
__________________

__________________
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
40 Bucks to $10 Million: What Warren Buffett Can Teach You - DailyFinance

She should had bought 40 Bucks of KO in 1919 and she would end up with 11 Million today .

I wonder what is value of 40 dollars of Gold from 1919. Is it 5000 bucks or 3000? Looking at some charts on internet looks to me like about 3000 bucks. And if you look at inflation from 1919 till today it very well may be that 40 bucks of gold from 1919 is worth just about 40 bucks in 1919 dollars today So one earned no real money in it.

But lets say we are not that smart. So we put money into S&P 500 Index. Well feed this into historical returns calculator and get ready for pleasant surprises.

S&P 500 Return Calculator - Don't Quit Your Day Job...
40 bucks in 1919 is 2 ounces of gold worth about $2,300 There was no way to invest in the S&P500 back in 1919. There was no index funds in 1919 and most investment funds went belly up in 1929. This invest in KO is not what people were investing in, it is what Warren Buffet states to make himself look good because he has held it for a long long time, however he has not done people any favors in getting them to buy KO as he continually touts it from 1999, the stock has paid dividends and that is about it. Since it was a new unknown issue in 1919 is Warren actually advocating today people should put $3,000 (6% of annual income) into every new issue on the NYSE in hopes by 2199 will have equivalent of 10 million for heirs? How many new issues should be invested in 273 came out in 2014 to invest the equivalent of $40 in 1919 in every new issue would require $673,00 should I plan on that each year as an investment plan? Or just pick one and hope it's a winner? Popular in 1919 was General Motors, Pierce Arrow, Stutz, Texaco, Pennsylvania Railroad and Central Leather. Stutz and Pierce being two new stocks in the upcoming auto industry (didn't quite make it). Some stocks would have gotten you rich many went belly up.

It is always nice to be able to pick your investments 90 years after the fact as Warren does. Charlie Munger does a nice job selecting stocks on an ongoing basis and has an eye for long term potential.

Gold is really just cash hedge that holds it's value against inflation long term with major fluctuations. It has a real purpose in a portfolio, but yes owning it probably lessens the chance of maximum wealth as it is a defensive asset not an offensive one.
__________________
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
40 bucks in 1919 is 2 ounces of gold worth about $2,300 There was no way to invest in the S&P500 back in 1919. There was no index funds in 1919 and most investment funds went belly up in 1929. This invest in KO is not what people were investing in, it is what Warren Buffet states to make himself look good because he has held it for a long long time, however he has not done people any favors in getting them to buy KO as he continually touts it from 1999, the stock has paid dividends and that is about it. Since it was a new unknown issue in 1919 is Warren actually advocating today people should put $3,000 (6% of annual income) into every new issue on the NYSE in hopes by 2199 will have equivalent of 10 million for heirs? How many new issues should be invested in 273 came out in 2014 to invest the equivalent of $40 in 1919 in every new issue would require $673,00 should I plan on that each year as an investment plan? Or just pick one and hope it's a winner? Popular in 1919 was General Motors, Pierce Arrow, Stutz, Texaco, Pennsylvania Railroad and Central Leather. Stutz and Pierce being two new stocks in the upcoming auto industry (didn't quite make it). Some stocks would have gotten you rich many went belly up.

It is always nice to be able to pick your investments 90 years after the fact as Warren does. Charlie Munger does a nice job selecting stocks on an ongoing basis and has an eye for long term potential.

Gold is really just cash hedge that holds it's value against inflation long term with major fluctuations. It has a real purpose in a portfolio, but yes owning it probably lessens the chance of maximum wealth as it is a defensive asset not an offensive one.
I think your points are well taken, Running_Man. It's easy to go back and cherry pick a winner or two - hindsight is 20-20 and we all can point to one of our "winners" (but somehow we forget our losers.) One of the "selling points" for gold is that it simply retains its "value" (long-term, of course.) Perhaps a better reason to hold Au is that small amounts tend to smooth a portfolio when everything else seems correlated nearly 1:1. As always, investing is a very personal decision for all of us so YMMV.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,414
If you bought gold the first year you could legally own it in 1975 at 175.00 an ounce the same money in just a 1 month t-bill rolled over is worth more today 40 years later.equitys beat it by about 15x
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:20 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,414
here are the results of owning that 1 ounce of gold since 1975 , the first year to legally buy and trade it short of collectible's which by the way turned out to be the worst place to put money so far .

gold 175.00 an ounce in 1975 is today worth 1130.00

t-bills rolled over 1206.00

short term bonds 2175.00

60/40 18,600.oo

global stocks 63,995.00


so even trying to protect against inflation it has failed to do better than what it claims to protect against .
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Another form of diversification that I see as a hedge against fear, inflation not so much. Some people also opt for art and coins for similar diversification reasons.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,611
I think one of the ways gold got its reputation as an inflation hedge is the common (and largely true) saying that an ounce of gold has always been worth the price of a good men's suit.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,414
If you bought the t-bills instead you would have gotten the suit and shoes
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,906
In 1919 if you had dropped the O and just bought K (Kodak) with your $40 instead of gold, today you would have inflation adjusted $0
__________________
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 2,718
If your buying gold as a hedge against the fall of society, I would suggest silver instead. Gold is to high priced to use as replacement currency after the crash back to the stone age. Silver coins such as silver dollars are better as they are more within the range of what goods might be available at the time.
__________________
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
here are the results of owning that 1 ounce of gold since 1975 , the first year to legally buy and trade it short of collectible's which by the way turned out to be the worst place to put money so far .

gold 175.00 an ounce in 1975 is today worth 1130.00

t-bills rolled over 1206.00

short term bonds 2175.00

60/40 18,600.oo

global stocks 63,995.00


so even trying to protect against inflation it has failed to do better than what it claims to protect against .
Price of gold in 1975 $175 Price adjusted for inflation to 12/31/14 $770.18 Premium to inflation earned: 47%
Taxes paid on gain: 0

Gold is a non interest bearing holder of value, to expect to outperform stocks in long term is not it's purpose.

According to your chart if long term goal is maximizing portfolio value at all costs then 100% global stocks is the way to go and any other investments are foolhardy
__________________
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
here are the results of owning that 1 ounce of gold since 1975 , the first year to legally buy and trade it short of collectible's which by the way turned out to be the worst place to put money so far .

gold 175.00 an ounce in 1975 is today worth 1130.00

t-bills rolled over 1206.00

short term bonds 2175.00

60/40 18,600.oo

global stocks 63,995.00


so even trying to protect against inflation it has failed to do better than what it claims to protect against .
Does the t-bills rollover & short-term bonds include the income taxes on it at some rate? Thanks.
__________________
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,414
no taxes , but gold is taxed as well at full income rates too
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #95
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,558
Au isn't taxed till you sell vs. interest being taxed ongoing & its LTCG are taxed at the collectibles rate of 28%.
__________________
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Au isn't taxed till you sell vs. interest being taxed ongoing & its LTCG are taxed at the collectibles rate of 28%.
GOLD is taxed at a maximum 28% not a required 28%, if you are in the 15% bracket the tax will be 15 percent. It is also very possible to specifically identify the gold you buy so that you could pick and choose if the portfolio needed rebalancing which gold to sell to bring the best advantage for tax purposes.

With some tax planning, if gold is required to be sold for rebalancing within a portfolio, such as in 2008 or 2009, the capital gain on gold can be offset with capital losses taken on stocks, resulting in essence of a transfer to a more favorable tax treatment of future gains on your equity holdings. If there are a lot of losses that could be harvested then you would sell your gold which had the largest gains.
__________________
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:49 AM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,414
if a tax deferred retirement plan was used and the next 40 years were the same taxes wouldn't matter much .

even so, the t-bill and gold may have been close figuring taxes but nothing else would have been . gold still holds the distinction of the worst place historically to put money .
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
GOLD is taxed at a maximum 28% not a required 28%, if you are in the 15% bracket the tax will be 15 percent. It is also very possible to specifically identify the gold you buy so that you could pick and choose if the portfolio needed rebalancing which gold to sell to bring the best advantage for tax purposes.

With some tax planning, if gold is required to be sold for rebalancing within a portfolio, such as in 2008 or 2009, the capital gain on gold can be offset with capital losses taken on stocks, resulting in essence of a transfer to a more favorable tax treatment of future gains on your equity holdings. If there are a lot of losses that could be harvested then you would sell your gold which had the largest gains.
Thanks on the 15% thing.

It's not a good thing to have losses to offset gains. I'd much rather it all be gains.
__________________
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,414
there is no question to date gold has been the worst investment in history .
many do not call it an investment , they call it insurance but for what it has insured against to date has made it the costliest insurance to have .

every scenario pretty much has had another asset class run with the ball and surpass it .

i would go so far as to say even drop the words protects against uncertainty because as you saw it can't get anymore uncertain than the last few months .

you would have to add all kinds of dis qualifiers to that statement , like when the dollar is strong or when we are in a recession , or during a depression , or if the moon and stars are off.

the truth is we do not know what gold is supposed to respond to anymore .
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is no question to date gold has been the worst investment in history .
many do not call it an investment , they call it insurance but for what it has insured against to date has made it the costliest insurance to have .

every scenario pretty much has had another asset class run with the ball and surpass it .

i would go so far as to say even drop the words protects against uncertainty because as you saw it can't get anymore uncertain than the last few months .

you would have to add all kinds of dis qualifiers to that statement , like when the dollar is strong or when we are in a recession , or during a depression , or if the moon and stars are off.

the truth is we do not know what gold is supposed to respond to anymore .
Imagine it is 1975 and you could go back in time to advise a wealthy and respected doctor in what to invest, your answer would be global stocks I would presume. Now unfortunately for this doctor who worked in a hospital treating Americans, he lives in Vietnam and the Americans have just left and communists have taken over his country. His bank accounts and all his investments are confiscated and he is given a new job in a new rural city as a bus driver making subsistent wages. Enough for food to support his family but that is about it. All his investments have been taken from him by the new government.

Unknown to the government he had a supply of gold which he uses to bribe officials to get his son on a boat and out of Vietnam. His son 14, never forgets his family and works for years to save enough money to pay the exit fees for his family, whose father is still working as that bus driver at poverty wages to leave Vietnam and establish them in Montreal.

His son moves to America and does well working and investing and always living beneath his means. A percentage of his investments always goes into gold, a much larger portion into equities. He has done extraordinarly well for himself considering almost all his savings from his early life went to getting his family out of Vietnam. Now his former country is used as a hotbed of cheap labor for companies like Nike to make products in sprawling factories. Anyone who managed to stay invested in stocks and hold onto their stocks is doing extraordinarliy well. Unfortunately many tens of thousand were killed and hundreds of thousands had everything taken from them and they and their families, like my friends family were moved to the country.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to be born in the United States in the height of it's freedom and wealth. To take the United States history of the past 250 years and propel it as if it is the guiding principal on investing for all times is foolhardy and shortsighted, the the extent that 250 years of America is shortsighted in the history of the world. To read Harry Browne's book and to understand his theory of investing, the actual results an actual proposed portfolio over a very long time period can actually achieve is highly impressive.

But I am repeating myself here so I will end my participation in this thread with this note. More likely than not 100% stocks invested in global markets will be the surest way to vast wealth. I myself do not need vast wealth, I need to be able to take the wealth I have and earn between 2-3 percent over inflation for the long run and have confidence that I will do that. If the indexes over the remainder of my life return 10-15 percent over inflation I will be happy as this will mean great wealth for many more people and most likely peace in our time that is enduring, but I will not be downcast because I underperformed, I will be living a great life free from financial worry.

RM
__________________

__________________
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
And gold, gold!, GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!! yakers FIRE and Money 1 05-17-2006 11:03 AM
implications of owning a GM car limey Other topics 15 04-10-2006 12:09 PM
REIT vs Owning your rental units mickeyd FIRE and Money 3 03-05-2006 07:13 PM
Owning vs renting XXVII cute fuzzy bunny FIRE and Money 3 03-03-2006 09:40 AM
Owning vs Renting? Tommy_Dolitte Young Dreamers 34 08-13-2004 11:03 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.