Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They're expected to increase the dividend some time this month.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the heads up. I don't own enough to really make the DIV worth holding onto for the short term. Kind of put ourselves in a bind being out of employment for 4months. Unfortunately now I need to dip into the taxable account to right our ship here momentarily.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I do hold *some* AAPL, but I have unloaded quite a bit in recent months as well. I would like to see them introduce something that is THE next best things, but I don't see this on the horizon. They are making $ with the iPhone and the market share (world wide) that they have is not great (in my opinion). I don't see that they are going to very well on the iWatch, but who knows. The sheeple out there sure like their Apple products so they will sell a bunch.

Nonetheless, I personally wouldn't get in right now. Of course, all the "experts" are saying, "BUY! BUY! BUY!", so what do I know.
Is it too late to buy AAPL?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #44

Apple has done a remarkable job at introducing innovative products. What is worth considering:
The watch is a dud. There is ever increasing competition on the phones...although they do enjoy new markets..China big time.

I'd rather not pretend I can predict technology ...just too fickle and rich for my blood.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Apple never goes for market share. As long as they get the profitable slice of China, things will go well.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #46

The watch doesnt impress me, apple payments does. Buying into the payment chip maker seems a smart play to me. That will succeed in phones even if watch fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:50 AM   #47
Confused about dryer sheets

The only individual stock I own is Apple, (about 8.5% of my portfolio, I know .......it's too much) the remainder of my investments are Index ETFs. According to Morningstar Apple trades at 12.9 times forward earnings, while the total market ( Vanguard VTI etf) trades at 18.8 times. Based on this and a dividend of about 1.5%, I feel that Apple still a reasonably priced stock with future growth opportunities
Djtjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djtjak View Post
The only individual stock I own is Apple, (about 8.5% of my portfolio, I know .......it's too much)...
Me too. Every year I have a goal of bringing down my exposure to AAPL. I sell some - not too much because of the huge gains built into my shares - but at the end of the year it's usually an even larger percentage of my assets. I know, a terrible problem to have.

I'll keep chipping away at it...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

When it hit a presplit $75, we sold it all and then repurchased half at $52. We took the gains hit (ACB=$8) and decided to let the rest ride. 2100 shares
Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #50

Most definitely not too late to buy it. Their future still looks bright to me.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #51

Too late today. Wait until market opens tomorrow.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #52

To me the question is do i want to buy apple without Jobs. Do i want brkshre without Buffet. What's making the margin? The system or the man?

dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I think everyone watched to see what would happen after Jobs. It appears to be nothing.

Next generation products may tell the story. And whether they can retain Jonathan Ive.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Market cap has increased a lot since Jobs left.

They haven't had a blockbuster product category. It's just that iPhone keeps bringing the profits while iPad sales have flattened.

Maybe the Watch will be a hit but it remains to be seen if it will reach the success iPad has had.

Whether iPhone performance is sustainable is also in question.
Reload this Page Is it too late to buy AAPL?
Old 06-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Reload this Page Is it too late to buy AAPL?

Of course it is. Unless it isn't.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

With AAPL up almost 60% from a year ago, I enjoy revisiting this thread.

Tim Cook has said the revenue from the Apple watch alone would be “well into” the Fortune 500, so …*not a dud.

I purchased my stake in early 2001 and have held onto it ever since. I've never been tempted to rebalance —*I agree with Warren Buffett's thinking:

"To suggest that this investor should sell off portions of his most successful investments simply because they have come to dominate his portfolio is akin to suggesting that the Bulls trade Michael Jordan because he has become so important to the team."

Glad I kept Michael on my team, to say the least!

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Did he say that about the Watch or about the service revenues (Apple Music, iCloud)?

The latter is the fastest growing part of the company I believe.

I thought about adding shares, since I am getting decent dividends. But too late now. They raised the dividend, making them the biggest dividend payer, but the yield is still poor.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I thought it would be too late when I bought it at $75.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm no longer accumulating AAPL except for rolling dividends back into shares. It's amazing how much money it keep raking in for incremental phone updates, a watch, and selling music/videos. Stockholders are getting restless that they are sitting on over a quarter trillion dollars in cash and don't seem interested in doing anything with it.

That being said, . I see AMZN having a better upside in the future. They are actually innovating (AWS, cloud home devices, AI, etc) and are also a retail juggernaut that, IMO, is still a bit in its infancy. AAPL's future seems cloudy to me, even though they keep inconceivably raking in cash from iPhones.
Hexanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

The stock of a good company is often not a good stock to buy because all of the upside is already reflected in the price of the stock. Hence, more downside than upside.

This is why market statistics show consistently that value beats growth over the long term. Growth stocks can be great for traders operating with a "greater fool" strategy except, of course, for the last guy in.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote