Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Well, then maybe I'm wrong! I don't have a link saying how long most Americans own their homes - - was just looking for one but haven't found it yet.
Actually you are close. According to a yahoo answer Nar study says its 6 years. Surprising to me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I just read in a Money magazine that around a third of all homes with mortgages are worth less than the mortgage, according to First American CoreLogic (whoever they are). That seems nearly impossible to me. Did 1/3 of the nation move in the last five or six years?
I believe it is also true that about 1/3 of all homes are owned outright.
Bubble Meter: Ask Yahoo: How many "homeowners" own their homes outright?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #323

Although I think the 33% rate is high, however, that probably includes both home buyers and people who refinanced.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #324
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where is W2R? I felt sure she would have to something to say about the last two days in the market.

Audrey
Old 09-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #325
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Where is W2R? I felt sure she would have to something to say about the last two days in the market.

Audrey
Too busy counting my money! $$$$

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #326
Give me a forum ...

I am absolutely blown away by the gains in the market over the last few months. I know the market is irrational short term, but I can't imagine how people are assuming things are back on track. Insider selling, high unemployment, an incredibly weak dollar, and I even saw that there has been a drop in the personal saving rate! I try not to be a DMT, but it's awfully hard to be heading to the next DCA date while suspecting we're in for a significant drop. Damn TV anyway!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #327

We don't want to be DMTer's either, but we want to invest in a fund that has a $10K min investment. We've been sitting with it, ready to buy, for several weeks now. I'm torn between enjoying seeing our investments go up vs. wanting the market to dip (I know, hush) so we feel better about dropping in our $10K.

Typical investor I guess <sigh>. Shouldn't try to time the market!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #328
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't worry Mr. Market likes to inflict maximum pain.
It will suck in all who will go, then at some point the boy's will drop it like a rock.

Old Mike
Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #329
Give me a forum ...

Well as of today my retirement portfolio is only down 13.7% from its peak value in Oct 2007, whereas in March it was down 40% from peak. That seems like a pretty amazing recovery!

I was just thinking today that when I get to being only 10% down, I'm going to really celebrate, because that peak value was really a peak!

There!!! I just jinxed the rally for whoever is trying to get back in on a pull-back!

Audrey
Old 09-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #330
Administrator

In early 2008, I made a retirement plan based on what I thought would be the value of my portfolio. In late 2008, I revised that downwards as it looked like I would have no more than half. Now, it is back to essentially what I had originally planned. What a roller coaster we have been on!

I am glad (now) that we have experienced the recession, because I saw what it did to my portfolio and what my reactions were. I was able to hang tight and knowing that about myself is a huge relief.

If it happens again, I will just hang on for dear life like last time and hopefully make it through.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #331
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

There!!! I just jinxed the rally for whoever is trying to get back in on a pull-back!

Audrey
Thank goodness, I rebalanced this afternoon... (It's true...)

As for my own portfolio, my XIRR for the period spanning 10/9/2007-09/16/2009 is now positive (+2.3%) and my long term portfolio return has crept back up to an average of 5.5% annual since 01/2000 (when we started investing). It's still under the 8% average I used in my planning, but it sure beats the negative average annual return I had just a few months ago.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:14 AM   #332
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Thank goodness, I rebalanced this afternoon... (It's true...)

As for my own portfolio, my XIRR for the period spanning 10/9/2007-09/16/2009 is now positive (+2.3%) and my long term portfolio return has crept back up to an average of 5.5% annual since 01/2000 (when we started investing). It's still under the 8% average I used in my planning, but it sure beats the negative average annual return I had just a few months ago.
FIREdreamer, How do you calculated XIRR for such odd dates (fractional years)? Vanguard does not allow me to do it. Is there an easier method than plugging all cash flows into Excel and than using XIRR function? There are far too many transactions for me to do that.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #333
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Sparrow View Post
FIREdreamer, How do you calculated XIRR for such odd dates (fractional years)? Vanguard does not allow me to do it. Is there an easier method than plugging all cash flows into Excel and than using XIRR function? There are far too many transactions for me to do that.
Unfortunately, XIRR computation requires plugging in all cash flow transactions either in Excel or in a piece of software like Quicken. I am not aware of any alternative. When computing XIRR, it does not matter whether you are using whole years or fractional years, as long as you are looking at a period longer than one year. The XIRR function returns an average annual return. There is a simple formula that can help you convert the average annual return into a cumulative return which comes in handy when using fractional years.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #334

While W2R has just been counting the $$$, I will say in her place: Wheeee!!!

My investments are now worth more than I paid for them. It's taken an entire year, but I look very much like I did last September, before the big 'trip.'

-- Rita
Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #335
Give me a forum ...

Based on the euphoria index of the last page or so, the market will probably crash again next week. Keep a lid on it, everybody!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #336
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
While W2R has just been counting the $$$, I will say in her place: Wheeee!!!

My investments are now worth more than I paid for them. It's taken an entire year, but I look very much like I did last September, before the big 'trip.'

-- Rita
100.3% here, not counting my contributions.

It is not Dow 14,000+ again, but still my soon-to-be ER has been snatched from the jaws of the bear, it seems. (Well, I thought that sounded good but really I would have retired anyway.)

My planned SWR comes to a much higher amount than it would have in March, but that is just an artifact of the recovery. Not too worried about it, though. It was kind of "by guess and by golly" in the first place.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #337
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
100.3% here, not counting my contributions.

It is not Dow 14,000+ again, but still my soon-to-be ER has been snatched from the jaws of the bear, it seems. (Well, I thought that sounded good but really I would have retired anyway.)

My planned SWR comes to a much higher amount than it would have in March, but that is just an artifact of the recovery. Not too worried about it, though. It was kind of "by guess and by golly" in the first place.
Would you actually increase the amount of $$ you withdraw each year, or is your planned SWR going to be the same amount and hence a smaller percentage number? I'm laughing thinking of W2R trying to spend extra $$ to stay at the same SWR percentage number--new Wii games, perhaps landscaping, 14,400 count designer bed linens, refinishing the basement of that house in Mo. you're dreaming of, or just a Starbucks latte three times a day!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #338
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Would you actually increase the amount of $$ you withdraw each year, or is your planned SWR going to be the same amount and hence a smaller percentage number? I'm laughing thinking of W2R trying to spend extra $$ to stay at the same SWR percentage number--new Wii games, perhaps landscaping, 14,400 count designer bed linens, refinishing the basement of that house in Mo. you're dreaming of, or just a Starbucks latte three times a day!
That is exactly what I was thinking/wondering about! I'm not sure I can spend more. I had planned an SWR around 3.5% when the market was down. That would be more like 2.5% now, which is so low as to be ridiculous IMO. So, I am looking at 3% which would still give me a whole lot more than I am spending right now.

I already buy any Wii game that appeals to me. I just got My Sims Kingdom for $20 and it is fun. Still, I think that is the only Wii game I have bought this year, since I like the ones I have.

You know - - I have ONE set of bed linens that was the cheapest Wally World could provide. You know the type - - it takes Arnold Schwarzeneggar to pull that last corner of the bottom sheet on. I could at least upgrade them and buy two sets of high end sheets.

No Starbucks latte for me, though! I was really disappointed last Christmas when I got a "Secret Santa" starbucks card and tried one for the first time in 5-10 years. I think their Vente has shrunk, and I think I can make better coffee at home. Hey there's an idea! I could buy an expresso machine. Oh but wait - - I am already drinking half decaf and expresso would send me through the roof.

I don't have a basement yet, but I'm sure there will be some renovating and landscape work going on once we get there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Based on the euphoria index of the last page or so, the market will probably crash again next week. Keep a lid on it, everybody!
I would be surprised if we don't see a pull back soon.
However, as far as predictions of a crash, I think we need to wait for the S&P 740 prediction before we can make any more crash predictions.
As I recall, that one was a prediction of 740 sometime before the end of October
Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #340
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I would be surprised if we don't see a pull back soon.
However, as far as predictions of a crash, I think we need to wait for the S&P 740 prediction before we can make any more crash predictions.
As I recall, that one was a prediction of 740 sometime before the end of October
I'm eagerly awaiting that individual's fourth prediction. Maybe it will be more accurate than the last three. Or maybe we will still see 740 by October's end. Who knows?

As far as gut instincts, I would figure we could see a correction at some point since we have been on an upward tear for a while. This thing can't go to the sky forever.