Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I sure as heck don't see the S&P getting as high as 1350 any time soon.
Me neither. However, the market is more likely to go up than down from here. For a CMT like myself, it is good enough reason to buy. No?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah, you are talking about me!

But I always consider myself a CMT.

PS. Portfolio 22% below Oct 07 personal high watermark. Still only 57% in equities. Buy, buy, buy.
I'm now down 'only' 16.5%. A couple of high octane stocks have come back pretty well. So I'm cautiously optimistic with emphasis on 'cautious'. Tough dealing with the target pasted on back.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I'm now down 'only' 16.5%. A couple of high octane stocks have come back pretty well. So I'm cautiously optimistic with emphasis on 'cautious'. Tough dealing with the target pasted on back.
Nice to see that dent on your forehead is starting to heal.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
However, the market is more likely to go up than down from here. For a CMT like myself, it is good enough reason to buy. No?
Maybe yes, maybe, as these posters point out, no:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmup View Post
In this scenario stocks lose, bonds lose, commodities lose and cash wins simply because everything else loses its value relative to cash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetLife View Post
There are so many economic factors causing the market down swings that it is ridiculous. I believe the worst is yet to come....just my opinion. No, I'm not a pessimist, just a realist.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm now down 'only' 16.5%.
That's it? Gee, it's only a finger cut, and you made it sound like dismemberment.

Perhaps it's time to start another thread to see who has been down how much.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Nice to see that dent on your forehead is starting to heal.
Med's baby.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe yes, maybe, as these posters point out, no:

I saw their posts, but I have my own SWAG.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A couple of high octane stocks have come back pretty well. So I'm cautiously optimistic with emphasis on 'cautious'.
Watch those high-octane stocks. They make your life exciting, yes?

Having some of the high-octane stocks (materials stocks like metal mining, fertilizer, energy, drybulk shipper and solar energy, etc...) was what allowed me to triple my portfolio from 2003 to 2007, despite being only 70-80% invested. These stocks are very sensitive to the world economy. No, I was not solely invested in them, only a good concentration, else would be a multi-millionaire.

There was no way I could have known to get out at the top, but if I didn't get out in early 2008, would have gotten hurt bad. No finger cut! You are talking dismemberment or disembowelment here, trust me.

You can tell that I like to live dangerously. After surviving a couple of hi-tech startup failures and the tech stock melt-down in 2000, this current downdraft didn't scare me that much.

As Soros (not a hero of mine, but an interesting man) said, your investment decisions reflect your understanding of the real world. My understanding of the world is a bit fuzzy, but sometimes I can see some shadows or shapes through my cataracts.

Sorry for the metaphors, but that has always been my nature.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #69

Always interesting to follow up on market prognostications...

5/9:
Quote:
I think the bear market rally is over. I think next week will be the beginning of a downturn.
5/10:
Quote:
The rally is over. The downturn will start this week.
5/16:
Quote:
...Downturn will continue for the next 4 weeks.
5/16:
Quote:
Yeah, my crystal ball is great....downturn to continue for about a month.
Four and half weeks later, S&P 500:
Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

OH NO! Please, not another "Wheee" post!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #71

Quote:
OH NO! Please, not another "Wheee" post!
No, nothing of the sort. Merely a follow up on market predictions. I'm looking at yours at the moment.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, nothing of the sort. Merely a follow up on market predictions. I'm looking at yours at the moment.
Well?

My disclaimer is that I could follow the news around the world -- not just in the US -- to see if the fundamentals were improving, but I could not predict the next "Wheee" outburst.

PS. Portfolio is 21% below high water mark in Oct 07. Could have been a couple of percents better if I did not have to dip into it to pay for college tuitions and for food.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #73

Quote:
Well?
Never mind.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

(Wheee!!!?!)

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood... Just another 500 points or so for the Dow and I will be feeling really great about things.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

What!??

That's it! I will sell everything at market open tomorrow, then go short.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a chunk of S&P index on 6/9. Past performance indicates there will be an immediate dip, a nice buying opportunity, then there will be fluctuations.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Always interesting to follow up on market prognostications...

5/9: I think the bear market rally is over. I think next week will be the beginning of a downturn
5/10: The rally is over. The downturn will start this week.
5/16: Downturn will continue for the next 4 weeks
5/16: Yeah, my crystal ball is great....downturn to continue for about a month

Four and half weeks later, S&P 500:
Hey! Keeping track and actually paying attention takes all the fun out of always being right - and also makes it hard to be smug and always know more than everyone else. Gee whiz. You're no fun to play with. When you were a kid and all your friends were out playing and stuff, I bet you were always the scorekeeper ...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Budget woes have Oakland mulling bankruptcy

While I am not as sure that the market will go down now as I was in early March that it would go up, and do think it quite possible this rally has run out of steam. In any case yesterday I reduced my equity to 15 percent from 30 percent after a nice 27 percent run up for the equity portion.

State and city budget preparations for 2010 are going to be reflecting some very painful choices, tax increases, layoffs and service cutbacks all of which will tend to drag the economy and with it the stock market down for another leg. On top of that the continued need to fund the "stimulus plan" will be resulting in some interesting financing needs.

With good fortune I will be totally mistaken but that is not the risk I want to take at this time.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - Target Retirement 2015 on full auto - those Vanguard computers don't talk much - they just rebalance away.

I think the Norwegian widow may wait til fooball season before shifting deck chairs on the Titanic - I mean selling a few fallen angels and buying a few more good dividend stocks.

Soooo - where does one buy those plastic D-fense signs fans wave in the stadiums on tv?

heh heh heh - Ballpark back to within -12% of peak 2007 but I plan to spend another 3% (to make it -15%) cause I'm not getting any younger. .

Stay the course. Press on regardless. Hurry up, just stand there. A little Bogle to buck ya up. Anywise hormones require that I dink with a few Norwegian widow stocks - especially if the Saints look a little punky at the start of the season.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hey, it's the lady with the crystal ball. I realize the downturn has been an upturn; however, my last post said downturn to continue for about a month. The month ends on 16 June. Can you at least give me until then to see where we're at? Anything's possible in this market!
TheSweetLife is offline   Reply With Quote