Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Where? Is it a public post, or by PM?
Public post. This thread. "Downturn will continue for the next 4 weeks." I'm assuming after the downturn is done continuing it means that we will be flat or positive? So I went all in. Hey, maybe that's what I get for trusting anonymous internet strangers. My other methods of predicting the future don't seem to be working any better anyways.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How long will the downturn last?
Until it stops...?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetLife View Post
It's the lady with the crystal ball. Looks like my timing was a month off. Here comes the downward trend.
50/50 odds here. Either you're right or you're a bit early (again). Nah, this is too easy. Add some dimension to this call to make it legit. Say, a range. Between 1-5%, 6-10%, 11-15%, more than 15%.

So, what's your call?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

I was just wondering, what are you guys doing with your money? MMF paying nothing. Interest rates set to rise someday so no to bonds. I heard a analysis say the market could move sideways for the next few years. Of course, if you bought at under 7000 you have done well, yet, the market does appear to be headed lower for a time.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #105
Administrator

James, I am no investment guru but here's what I am doing. My asset allocation is 55% bonds and fixed, 45% stocks. Of the former, I have 11% in MM and 44% in bond funds (including the bond portion of Wellesley). That is probably a bit heavy on the MM but until I retire and my life settles down a bit I feel more comfortable with the liquidity. I am 61 and will retire in November.

I am not changing anything, nor did I during the market decline (except for a little rebalancing).

Maybe some day I will move 5% from bonds or MM into REIT's, but I am still too timid about real estate to do that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

No rocket science here.
50/50 AA in summer 2007 as a "wait and see" for first year of FIRE.
2008 market behavior delivered a loss outside my perceived risk comfort zone.
Plan B - reset my AA to 40/60 in January 2009.
No drastic changes planned for 2010. 40/60 AA seems to be a good comfort zone.
Today - I'm still DCAing into stock MFs and a little bit into muni bond MFs. I bought a few shares of a "just for fun" stock on the side. I started DCA into a small TE MMF in accordance with my long term plan.
Just riding the tide.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by James5v View Post
I was just wondering, what are you guys doing with your money? MMF paying nothing. Interest rates set to rise someday so no to bonds. I heard a analysis say the market could move sideways for the next few years. Of course, if you bought at under 7000 you have done well, yet, the market does appear to be headed lower for a time.
New money is going into short term bonds. Simply because our AA is too far towards stocks. Of course that could be remedied fairly quickly
Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

I appreciate the responses. I am semi-retired, age 58, and considering moving some money back into stocks particularly in my IRA. Most of my funds are in short term funds.

If the market moves below 8000 I think I might begin DCAing into "quality" stocks, if there is such a thing. I'm thinking of moving some funds into Vanguard Dividend Growth Fund (VDIGX). And maybe buying some individual stocks paying a good dividend.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I appreciate the responses. I am semi-retired, age 58, and considering moving some money back into stocks particularly in my IRA. Most of my funds are in short term funds.

If the market moves below 8000 I think I might begin DCAing into "quality" stocks, if there is such a thing. I'm thinking of moving some funds into Vanguard Dividend Growth Fund (VDIGX). And maybe buying some individual stocks paying a good dividend.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm roughly 45/55 which includes several nice dividend plays. But long term, when/if I recoup more of my losses......I plan to trim equities way back to a 20/80 AA. Getting too old for the roller coaster.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

James, the same question has been in my mind and I've been asking a few colleagues. Australians said they have been saving australian dollars which give good savings rate and they need the currency anyways. The chinese are buying property in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong locals are buying property and stocks. The stock market and property market here are performing not in line with global movements - is really wierd and not for the faint-hearted. I was thinking of index funds or index stocks but it is still overpriced in Hong Kong unless I look at international ones. I may pick up some dividend paying blue chips (bought some recently) and maybe another annuity. Otherwise shopping around for better rates offered for new funds in different banks. I's not much but better than nothing or even worse - spending it!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Everything in this market is a guess. It is amusing to see the "experts" on CNBC talk as if they know what is going to happen.

If the market continues its move down I may be buying some dividend plays but I would agree the market is now a roller coaster more akin to a dice table than to investments. I did not see the optimism that resulted in the market moving to near 8800. But what do I know? It would nice making 3 or 4% rather than next to nothing but at least at present I am not loosing anything.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #112

Quote:
I did not see the optimism that resulted in the market moving to near 8800. But what do I know?
Markets frequently overshoot, down AND up. The market probably way oversold into early March and shot up too quickly without supporting fundamentals.

If the market remains extremely volatile, it could be a period of time when more frequent rebalancing than usual could be profitable. But my Magic 8-Ball isn't working well enough to know. Anyway, it seems pretty clear that the last bullish uptrend is toast, and the sellers and profit-takers are back for some unknown amount of time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

One thing's for real and it's my dwindling passive income...

The first round of quarterly dividends on my Vanguard funds was declared yesterday and it looked dismal. Second round is tomorrow and I am preparing myself for more bad news... How am I supposed to keep my SEC yield up, hum?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
The first round of quarterly dividends on my Vanguard funds was declared yesterday and it looked dismal. Second round is tomorrow and I am preparing myself for more bad news... How am I supposed to keep my SEC yield up, hum?
You could do a dance to honor the market gods and hope for a huge drop in market value. That would keep your SEC yield way up.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
You could do a dance to honor the market gods and hope for a huge drop in market value. That would keep your SEC yield way up.
Nay, while it might boost my portfolio's SEC yield in the short term, it probably would make things worse in the long term.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Nay, while it might boost my portfolio's SEC yield in the short term, it probably would make things worse in the long term.
It's just as well. My previous attempts at honor dances to the market gods have proven ineffective.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Another 300 points on the Dow and I will be looking again. The VDIGX fund is now paying 2.53% up from 2.33% Div. I would like to see it up to at least 3% Div. Of course, as someone said my crystal ball is not working very well now as I sit and while not making much, I am not loosing anything.

I wonder when the inflation will begin? One year? Two years? More?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Yikes! A few days ago, the Consumer Sentiment came in below expectations. Today, the job loss was also worse than expectations, and trumped the good news on factory orders for May.

My stock portion is down 2.3%, beating the S&P at -2.8%, the Nasdaq at -2.7%, and the Dow at -2.5%. Small consolation!

Buy, buy, buy? Stock allocation at 62%, and the darn thing keeps trying to reallocate itself back down.

Last night, while reading the thread on cross-country driving (in the Travel section), I followed a link on people living in vans and truck campers, not relatively luxurious RVs. From there, just clicking around, I stumbled on a forum of doomsday SHTF posters. Never been on this kind of forum before, so I read with some interest. Wow... It appears many of those are facing financial hardship, and indeed quite a few have lost their job. It would surely change your perspective of the world.

PS. I am holding, not selling nor buying more.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #119

It's starting to look like "cash is king" again for a while...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Here's what I am doing:

Keeping 10% in natural resource and commodity ETFs
Another 15% in a broad mix of equities
75% in cash, MM, CD's, and short term Treasuries.

The market is ripe for a correction, and we will not hit bottom until early 2011........

Just mt 2 cents, YMMV..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote