Join Early Retirement Today

iShares Dow Jones Select Dividend Index (DVY)
Old 03-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

iShares Dow Jones Select Dividend Index (DVY)

Hope this is the proper place to ask about the subject ETF. If not, sorry Martha, my bad.

I am much interested from those that own DVY, the following:

1. Why to you have it? For the dividends? CG? Both? What influenced you most to purchase it?
2. What are your (return,risk, income) expectations? per year?
3. It seems to be about 50% financials & 15% utilities sector wise invested per MS. How does this effect, if any, the way you invest outside this ETF?
4. What % of your overall port. is invested in DVY?
5. When was your first purchase? How often do you add money, if any?
6. Do you consider this ETF a core holding and plan to hold over 10 years?
7. At what performance level would you sell? (Ex. 3 years lagging S&P 500?)
8. What do you do with the dividends?

Thanks for the input. Hillbilly
Hillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hold Vanguards Equity Income fund (VEIPX) which is similar to DVY but not quite as highly concentrated in financials. That's why I decided on it over DVY.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Agreed about the financials, though I think now isn't a terrible time to get into some of them -- they've already been whacked 50% and if you could stomach volatility in the meantime, I think for the bigger names in the space patience will be rewarded.

PEY is even more concentrated in financials than DVY, I believe.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
they've already been whacked 50%
Not really seeing the value. DVY is back to roughly where it was 2 years ago before a bunch of false profits (heh) from bad mortgage loans on behalf of the financials drove up the price.

So I'm not seeing it as a bargain, just maybe fairly priced (again).

But if you want to stick some money in something, get a predictable income stream, and promise to not look at the NAV...its a good choice. A better one now than 2 years ago.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
1. Why to you have it? For the dividends? CG? Both? What influenced you most to purchase it?
Dividends and a decent screening process, plus a lot lower ER than we'd seen in other choices (up until we bought it). A big influence on our thinking was favorable dividend taxes and Siegel's "The Future For Investors".

Quote:
2. What are your (return,risk, income) expectations? per year?
~3% steady dividends without much price fluctuation. Decent large-cap value investments. Long-term growth (decades). Of course our initial purchase was at $55/share and I don't think we'll see that price again-- this year anyway. I'd expect it to be a lot less volatile than an international index or a small-cap value ETF.

Quote:
3. It seems to be about 50% financials & 15% utilities sector wise invested per MS. How does this effect, if any, the way you invest outside this ETF?
Today we have 23% in Berkshire Hathaway, 23% in small-cap value (mostly IJS), and 23% in international dividends (mostly PID). We're in the middle of rebalancing and just sold about a third of our Berkshire shares. When we're done rebalancing, the last 8% of our portfolio will be in cash and a big chunk of our expenses are paid by my govt pension. We're more focused on DVY's large-cap allocation and its dividends than on the sectors.

Quote:
4. What % of your overall port. is invested in DVY?
14% now and ramping up to 23% over the next few weeks. It'll be interesting to see how low they can go!

Quote:
5. When was your first purchase? How often do you add money, if any?
Four years ago. From here out we only expect to add shares during rebalancing.

Quote:
6. Do you consider this ETF a core holding and plan to hold over 10 years?
Yup.

Quote:
7. At what performance level would you sell? (Ex. 3 years lagging S&P 500?)
Nope. The idea of the ETF is that it's already picked the winners according to dividend longevity & increases. I'd only compare it to a similar index (certainly not the S&P500) and even then I wouldn't get my knickers in a knot unless something came out with a lot less than a 0.40% ER.

Well, actually I'd sell if I was rebalancing because it had grown to over 28% of the ER portfolio. But it'd have to be on a real tear (or the rest of the portfolio would have to take a catastrophic hit) for that to happen.

Quote:
8. What do you do with the dividends?
Reinvest. We turned that off for a bit last year to replenish our cash stash but I suspect the market will make reinvestment seem compelling for at least the next couple of years.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

During the period ~Oct 05 thru ~Jul 06 I used DVY as a buy the stock write the near term OOTM call. This produced some pretty good income from call premiums, a couple of dividends, and short term cap gains. I gave it up when the stock made its' move to the 70's.
I don't find this ETF real appealing at present, but should we see the light at the end of the financial tunnel someday I might be tempted.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm making my first purchase of DVY on Monday (3/17). The current yield of around 4.25% sure helps with my decision along with the past income growth. DVY will most likely over time (few years) become the core of my holdings for retirement. Thanks to all that replied!!

Hillbilly
Hillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If the financials in DVY don't erode significantly from here, and a large portion of dividends aren't slashed, the current yield on DVY would make it a good equity/income play.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote