Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
Time for those of us who didn't panic-sell ISM/OSM back when the price was down in the single-digits (in late-2008 and early 2009) to give ourselves a big pat on the back ?

Or a kick in the rear if we didn't buy more ?

(Prices for both are around 21 today).
I'm feeling pretty good. I think I got in for a bit more than $20/sh on 5/6 of my holdings, and I bought another 1/6 of what I own at $13/sh IIRC. Too bad I didn't get a ton more at $8-9 - then again the world was falling apart at the time and who knew if students would ever be able to repay their loans??

I have arbitraged ISM/OSM many many times and made some decent change each time. Now that I have a big ST cap gain if I sell, I may just hold on to it for a while.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #422
Give me a forum ...

My ISM/OSM has been in my IRA. 3/5 I got at $21 and the remainder at $11, I've sold some along the way. I sold TIPs bonds to buy the darn thing, and since I am still worried about inflation I am planning on holding until maturity. As I know I've said before who knew bonds could be so exciting.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #423
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep, I hold these in my Rollover IRA, so no tax liability is incurred when "arbing" them. Even at a price of 21, the real YTM is about 5% if inflation averages 2%, and I am fearful that inflation could be considerably higher, so I'm holding on to these with both hands (with fingers still crossed).
Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #424

Anybody still long these puppies?

The year-over-year change in CPI-U for May (released today) was 3.57%. The current yields (on par) for ISM for the next three months are:

July 4.73%
Aug 5.21%
Sep 5.62%
Old 09-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #425

For anyone who still holds these, today I was able to sell OSM at the bid and buy ISM at the offer and take out 0.60 per share plus pick up about 20 basis points in YTM.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #426
Give me a forum ...

I am planning on holding to maturity, just like any other bond. The good and bad news is that OSM/ISM are listed like stocks so it is tempting to trade them like stocks.

So far been a good investment especially with fairly generous interest rate payments. Now if the idiot management at Sallie Mae doesn't do anything incredibly stupid in the next 6 or 7 years it will be a great investment.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am planning on holding to maturity, just like any other bond. The good and bad news is that OSM/ISM are listed like stocks so it is tempting to trade them like stocks.
So am I, but I look at it as giving the little guy a chance to swap essentially perfectly-correlated bonds (without changing exposure) for a yield pickup, for a commission of $2 per side.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #428
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

So far been a good investment especially with fairly generous interest rate payments. Now if the idiot management at Sallie Mae doesn't do anything incredibly stupid in the next 6 or 7 years it will be a great investment.

What are your thoughts on the risks of Sallie Mae? I am kind of tempted to pick up some, but it's hard to find any kind of reasoned dialog on the risks of the parent company.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #429
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
What are your thoughts on the risks of Sallie Mae? I am kind of tempted to pick up some, but it's hard to find any kind of reasoned dialog on the risks of the parent company.
I studied the company prior buying the bonds, and the collapse of OSM/ISM from $20 to $10 had me look at again, but I haven't looked at it all in the last couple of years.

Five years ago Sallie Mae had a very sweet business model where it loan money to students, the loans weren't discharged under bankruptcy, and the government repayed 95% of the principal if they defaulted. It was such a nice model that any idiot could run it, which is fortunate because CEO Lords is in the running for the title. It is worth looking at the thread to see the very unfavorable comments that were made about the guy a few years ago. First the company made a disastrous attempt to loan money to students without government backing a lost their shirt. Next the financial crisis hit. Then finally in an attempt to pay for Obamacare, Congress wiped out all of subsidize for Sallie Mae and the Federal government started making student loans directly to students.

Beside the obvious risks of having a CEO who curses at analysts pissing off Wall St, the biggest risk I see to Sallie Mae, is increasing pressure for student loan modification, like we see for mortgages. This could easily wipe out the company. So to be honest, SLM falls into the too hard category as a stock investment. FWIW, Morningstar rates SLM at 3 stars with fair value of $14.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #430

The year-over-year CPI-U for August (released today) was 3.77%, the highest it's been in three years.

For the next three months the current yields on par for ISM are:

Oct 5.61%
Nov 5.68%
Dec 5.82%

OSM is 5 bp less.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #431
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
The year-over-year CPI-U for August (released today) was 3.77%, the highest it's been in three years.

For the next three months the current yields on par for ISM are:

Oct 5.61%
Nov 5.68%
Dec 5.82%

OSM is 5 bp less.
Thanks for cranking the numbers FIRE'd. I did that pencil pushing faithfully for a couple of years but finally tired of it.

In the five or so years I've owned ISM and OSM, it's been both a roller coaster and a learning experience. Now that I'm back in the black vs my acquisition price, and with moderate inflation (IMHO) likely to be present going forward, I'm planning on holding to maturity. I think there is some risk (there's a reason they are rated BBB-) but alternative interest bearing investments don't seem all that attractive.

ISM/OSM is about 2.5% of my FIRE portfolio.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #432
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
For anyone who still holds these, today I was able to sell OSM at the bid and buy ISM at the offer and take out 0.60 per share plus pick up about 20 basis points in YTM.
I did the same thing just now today. But is the YTM of ISM really higher ? I can't reproduce the numbers now, but someone cranked out (early in this massive thread, post #185), that OSM is worth about 40 cents more per share - the fact that it matures almost a year earlier more than makes up for the difference in coupon (2.05% vs. 2% IIRC). That was 3 yrs ago and the price was quite a bit lower so dunno if that's quite true today.

Quote:
Thanks for cranking the numbers FIRE'd. I did that pencil pushing faithfully for a couple of years but finally tired of it.
I made a pretty cool spreadsheet to verify my ISM/OSM dividend payments and the payments on my TIPs. You just have to update the CPI-U column every so often. If anyone's interested ...
Old 10-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #433

Quote:
I did the same thing just now today. But is the YTM of ISM really higher ? I can't reproduce the numbers now, but someone cranked out (early in this massive thread, post #185), that OSM is worth about 40 cents more per share - the fact that it matures almost a year earlier more than makes up for the difference in coupon (2.05% vs. 2% IIRC). That was 3 yrs ago and the price was quite a bit lower so dunno if that's quite true today.
According to my spreadsheet, it's still about 40 cents if you assume an annual inflation rate of 3% going forward. At 0% inflation I compute the fair value of the spread to be about 45 cents. The higher the assumed inflation rate, the smaller the fair value of the spread.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #434
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
According to my spreadsheet, it's still about 40 cents if you assume an annual inflation rate of 3% going forward. At 0% inflation I compute the fair value of the spread to be about 45 cents. The higher the assumed inflation rate, the smaller the fair value of the spread.
I think I came up with the 40 cents spread from that post #185 (haha's post, but referring to my post). Now I am getting roughly 55 cents for a spread. What I am looking at is when OSM costs $20.90 (current quote), what would ISM have to cost to enjoy the same yield to maturity? I get ISM = ~$20.35. Assuming 3% inflation.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I think I came up with the 40 cents spread from that post #185 (haha's post, but referring to my post). Now I am getting roughly 55 cents for a spread. What I am looking at is when OSM costs $20.90 (current quote), what would ISM have to cost to enjoy the same yield to maturity? I get ISM = ~$20.35. Assuming 3% inflation.
Interesting. What are your YTM numbers?

For OSM = 20.90, I get 8.82% nominal and 5.65% real

For ISM = 20.35, I get 8.94% nominal and 5.77% real
Old 10-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #436
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting. What are your YTM numbers?

For OSM = 20.90, I get 8.82% nominal and 5.65% real

For ISM = 20.35, I get 8.94% nominal and 5.77% real
I was using a calculator that rounds the number of years to maturity to a whole number - that is probably why I was getting an inaccurate spread greater than 40 cents. Looks like it is 35-40 cents from using a calculator here: Bond Yield to Maturity Calculator

Although I get YTMs closer to 8.3% nominal with OSM at 20.9 and ISM at 20.55 (setting the price to "clean" since it just went ex-div a couple days ago). Using the "dirty" setting, it gives me YTMs closer to what you are getting.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #437
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
An
The year-over-year change in CPI-U for May (released today) was 3.57%. The current yields (on par) for ISM for the next three months are:

July 4.73%
Aug 5.21%
Sep 5.62%
I suppose an "adventurous" investor could put a PILE of money into these and then pull out when the payments shrink back. Betting any default won't happen in the next few months; of course, perhaps that's a bad bet, if default were triggered by inability to make the big coupon payment.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #438
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I suppose an "adventurous" investor could put a PILE of money into these and then pull out when the payments shrink back. Betting any default won't happen in the next few months; of course, perhaps that's a bad bet, if default were triggered by inability to make the big coupon payment.
Wow, not sure what I was smoking when I wrote this; thanks all, for being gentle and not pointing out what a moron I am.

Ergo, the large dividend payments of the next few months might amount to a percent or two of the investment, and the price could easily go down by that much by the time one is ready to pull out.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #439
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, not sure what I was smoking when I wrote this; thanks all, for being gentle and not pointing out what a moron I am.
Congratulations on sobering up recognizing reality.

As to being gentle, I'm afraid my thinking was something along the lines of, "If he doesn't understand how painfully wrong that statement is, I'm not sure there is anything I can do to help him."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #440
Recycles dryer sheets

DAMN you, efficient markets. I want to go back to OSM, from my recent cash-generating move to ISM. But the price of OSM faithfully stays 60 cents or more higher. Oh well, I know they'll get very close at some point soon.