Join Early Retirement Today

John Hancock Closed End Funds
Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

John Hancock Closed End Funds

Moved per Martha's recommendation.

Not a recommendation but wondered if anyone is invested in any of these funds? Some are selling at a discount with respectable yields.

John Hancock Funds - Closed-End Funds - Daily Prices
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I looked at some of those dividend/income ones last year. I still have HTD in one of my tracking lists.

CEFs often look attractive because of the discounts, but unless they are dissolved/distributed the chances are they will continue to trade at a discount and not close the gap between price and NAV. It's nice to pay less for the assets and get an enhanced yield . . . but then again you're paying management fees to managers who don't have a lot of incentive to minimize those fees. HTD for instance has a .75% management fee and other costs that bring it up to about 1%. I think HTD was trading at 16 or 17 last year with a yield more like 7% or 8%, but the reduction in yield is just the result of increasing stock prices.

I don't think they are bad investments. Just not for me as I don't like to transfer 1% of my assets annually to anyone whether it is a CEF or ETF or regular old mutual fund . . .
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the reminder on these, dog. PDT, PGD, PDF and DIV are virtual clones of each other. They are leveraged baskets of moderately credit-risky preferreds and high div paying equities with an expense ratio of ~1.7% and have a heavy weighting to the utilities industry. At a 12% or better discount to NAV, they look attractive in a taxable account. I especially like PDT and PGD because there is an insurance company the owns a big wad of these things (46% and 25% respectively). The insurer tends to buy when the discount is attractive, providing a floor. They also have a history a few years back of forcing liquidation if the discount gets too wide.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought UTF - a utilities closed end fund by Cohen Steers. Leveraged a bit, pays a nice dividend. Selling at 12-15% discount to NAV.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I own several CEFs including HTD, all of which have done consistently well in the last year or two. I plan on keeping my position there, but I have to admit that HTD has probably been the worst performer amoung the few CEFs I own.
Anansi is offline   Reply With Quote