Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I checked KMI today and it was $13.40, so really still holding up pretty well comparatively.

FCX is $3.60 today!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

if i still owned it that would not be my view that's for sure

Old 01-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #63
gone traveling

KMI - On the road to disaster?

Bought more KMI just now and another traunch of March 2016 15 strike call options just as a gamble that a relief rally will happen between now and March 15th.

I do think the oil patch is finally starting to capitulate. OPEC counties are looking for any way to raise prices. It may take months to bottom but we are overdue for a bear market rally now.

I predict some strong gains short term for those with balls-o-steel.*

(Or the gender correct equivalent)
Old 01-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #64

You need balls of tungsten. I had balls of steel but they were melted when oil passed through $32.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #65
gone traveling

Ya. I hear you, boss. It's ugly. But there's a market here somewhere. We're just still hunting for bottom.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

kmi just took another hit . 13.02 . irt was 60 bucks 1 year ago .

it may close in the 12 dollar range today at this rate .
Old 01-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #67
gone traveling

The dvyield is currently 3.9% so unless somebody isn't able to pay their cost to move oil , it seems like there's an upside or at least a 50 cent dividend.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Also bought more KMI below 13. Since their business is mostly transporting nat gas with rates not greatly dependent on commodity price (rates are set by FERC), seems like an opportunity if one is willing to hold for a while.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
The dvyield is currently 3.9% so unless somebody isn't able to pay their cost to move oil , it seems like there's an upside or at least a 50 cent dividend.
If you want a good divy yield, Seadrill Partners cut their dividend down to $1 per share. Today the price of SDLP is $2.85, meaning new yield AFTER the cut is 35%!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

without the share price going up each dividend payment just reduces the price by the same amount . we need a better total return not just dividends with a further drop in price
Old 01-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
without the share price going up each dividend payment just reduces the price by the same amount . we need a better total return not just dividends with a further drop in price

Price movement in and of itself is not a major concern for me (of course I can say that because mine do not move much) but I sure as heck am not the least bit interested in a company eating its own seed or worse yet, borrowing, just to issue a dividend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

tell me about it . i once owned a reit paying great dividends. until i had an accountant look at the quarterly .

the dividends were worded in such a way if you didn't understand the terminology you didn't know it was not coming from operating profits but from the money ear marked for other property's and borrowed money .
Old 01-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
tell me about it . i once owned a reit paying great dividends. until i had an accountant look at the quarterly .

the dividends were worded in such a way if you didn't understand the terminology you didn't know it was not coming from operating profits but from the money ear marked for other property's and borrowed money .

I am a preferred stock "dividend collector", but your example is exactly why I stay so conservative. I am not smart enough to figure out the "accounting gimmicks" companies use. I am very skeptical of Reits by nature, and have an even stronger distrust for shippers, Mreits, BDC's, and energy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #74

This is why I am becoming a fan of junk bonds over junk stock.

Junk stock, they can always cut the dividend, like Seadrill, RIG, FCX, KMI did.

They can't cut the bond payment without defaulting. They will throw the stockholders under the bus and back over them a few times before they will default on the bondholders.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #75
gone traveling

Buffet apparently is nibbling on oil now.... Buffett finds value as oil sinks http://www.cnbc.com/id/103299253
Old 01-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Mathjac107 wrote kmi just took another hit . 13.02 . irt was 60 bucks 1 year ago

I pretty sure it top out at about 44 bucks.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=KMI+Interactive#{"range":"2y","allowChar tStacking":true}
Old 01-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Buffet apparently is nibbling on oil now.... Buffett finds value as oil sinks Buffett finds value in oil wreckage
I like how CNBC calls it picking from the wreckage when Philips 66 would actually be a beneficiary of continued low oil prices, not a play on recovering oil prices. Though most likely it is the natural gas that he equally is liking as coal is falling out of favor for natural gas amongst the crowd he runs with that create laws. But it sounds a lot better to say he is picking a winner amongst the carnage for a stock that is up 16 % over the last year outperforming the S&P500 (why didn't he buy a year ago_ versus the average decline for the XLE of 28 percent.

What I don't like about the article is it leaves the impression that Buffet thinks oil is at a bottom which this purchase does not really indicate, it is rather lazy reporting.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:44 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
Mathjac107 wrote kmi just took another hit . 13.02 . irt was 60 bucks 1 year ago

I pretty sure it top out at about 44 bucks.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=KMI+Interactive#{"range":"2y","allowChar tStacking":true}
my memory is failing ha ha ha .

but even so 44 to 13.00 is a pretty nasty fall considering this was high on almost every stocks you must own list . it is starting to fall in to real trouble .
Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any others here that took part in that $27.5M award to investors from the KMP Capex litigation suit? I sent in my paperwork before the deadline in December, and it was rather onerous to pull together all the K1's from previous years. On December 22, 2015, the Court entered a Final Order and Judgment approving the Settlement and a new plan of allocation for the distribution of the Settlement proceeds. The new plan now says that claim forms are no longer required for the calculation of payments! Payments were to be made to eligible Class Members based on the number of KMP common units that they held as of the Merger between KMI and KMP. I've had a few thousand shares over various periods during those years, so it seemed to be worth the trouble, but we'll see.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

i wouldn't be surprised to see kmi a 10 buck stock before things end .