Join Early Retirement Today

Krugman on Bitcoin
Old 08-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Krugman on Bitcoin

A NYT link to Paul Krugman discussion on cryyptocurrencies..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/o...o-skeptic.html

Not particularly encouraging, and probably not a lot of interest here on ER, but certainly a lot of $$$ to be considered as part of the total economy... and what might happen in a worst case scenario. FWIW
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Krugman has been so wrong so often, this makes me want to jump into crypto!
rwdflynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
... Not particularly encouraging ...
Encouraging to whom? About what?

I have never though cryptocurrencies were anything but the current "madness of crowds." ("Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" by Charles McKay, published 1841.) The reason is what Krugman calls "tethering." With a tulip bulb, when the market collapsed,you could still grow a tulip. With bitcoin you won't even have something you can use on the bottom of a bird cage. A bitcoin has zero intrinsic value.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The only people that see value in bitcoin are the ones charging real money to handle the transactions.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
A bitcoin has zero intrinsic value.
And a piece of paper with a green-ink IOU ...... does?
Old 08-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Well, I guess we could quibble about the meaning of the word "intrinsic" but the value of the bills in my wallet is established by the words "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." printed on each one. Krugman addresses this in his piece.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Well, I guess we could quibble about the meaning of the word "intrinsic" but the value of the bills in my wallet is established by the words "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." printed on each one. Krugman addresses this in his piece.
I see. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdflynavy View Post
A better barometer would be DW's BIL. He's into Bitcoin and that alone is enough to make me run in the other direction.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #9

I wouldn't believe Krugman if he told me the sky was blue and water was wet. He may be right about Bitcoin.

From what I heard lately it's Litecoin, man! Litecoin is the best, Bitcoin is so yesterday!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #10

Wasn't it Krugman, upon Trump winning the election, say something like we'll never see stock valuations go any higher, or something to that effect?
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Krugman on Bitcoin
Old 08-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #11

Krugman on Bitcoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post

Yes. It is backed by the power of taxation. Which is most certainly not the case with bitcoin.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
“There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #12

Paul Krugman the night of the election: "It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover? A first-pass answer is never… So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight."

Here's my take: Anyone who would make this kind of statement should not be listened to for any investment advice. Why? It's not because he didn't support or like Trump...it is because he is letting his political bias pollute economic and investment decisions.

Early in the Clinton administration, I thought he would be bad for my investments (after so many good Reagan years and after a decent H.W. Bush run). So, I was very conservative in my asset allocation. But I realized sometime in 93 that my dislike for him didn't mean there weren't fundamental technological changes that were going to drive the market higher. Fortunately for me, I started to pile into equities with each paycheck and rode the 90's wave.

ETA: The most amusing thing about Krugman's quote that night is that he didn't even realize WHY the futures market was tanking. I believe they were tanking the night of the election when it became clear that Clinton had not conceded, and there was fear of a contested election. When she later (finally) conceded, futures started to rally....and never look back.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad I don't know who he is. Really I've never heard of him.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My son got us into mining Bitcoin and other coins about 5 years ago. He knows what he is doing. With a small investment of 2 k we have cashed out 40k and them 100k. We each still have some coins left.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #15

Krugman in 1998, internet will be the age of disapointment and no more important than the fax machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/19980610...economics.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Krugman in 1998, internet will be the age of disapointment and no more important than the fax machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/19980610...economics.html
I liken it more to the CB radio craze of the late 70s.
Just another fad.
NOW GETOFFMYLAWN!

I still see no need for bitcoin. I've only known one person that used it for a completly legal, not non quasi legal if not completely illegal purchase.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I still see no need for bitcoin.
I see no need for Euros or Swiss francs, either.

Crypto currencies have desirable properties of hard currencies (backed by something of both finite quantity and perpetual endurance) with desirable properties of soft currencies (fast electronic transactions.)

That said, I do not own any cryptocurrency yet.
Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:24 AM   #18

Ask Venezuela what they think of their fiat currency. Bitcoin for them is remarkably stable.

It's a complex domain, and we're slowly entering the disappointment phase. Once regulation kicks in in addition we'll see what the staying power is.

My current guess is that we'll end up with bits and pieces of the technology, and maybe one or two coin(types), everything else will disappear in a puff of logic.

Cryptokitties for example, the biggest application for ETH and a sort of Pokemon collectible card game, has collapsed in recent months. Bitcoin itself is sort of holding up, to my own surprise.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:22 AM   #19

They lost me at "Krugman."
Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdflynavy View Post

+1

This guy lost his mojo 15years ago and has spiraled downhill. Discredits his Nobel every year.
bgyt is offline   Reply With Quote