Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Trades completed. I made the trades in 2 separate tax-advantaged accounts. In an IRA I sold VCSH and bought VSS with the money. So I was doubled-up in VSS+VEA while I took a shower. After the shower, I saw that VEA had continued to go up and VSS was about the same as purchase price. Then I sold VEA. I intend to buy VCSH with the cash.

I did it this way to be doubled up for a little while just in case something went up unexpectedly. (Yes, it could've gone down unexpectedly, too.) And so that I can still buy more VSS with the money from the VEA sale instead of VCSH. This will help avoid some free-riding and not having to wait T+3 for trades to settle. Whether I stay in cash or VCSH for a short time should not matter.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #282
Give me a forum ...

So, with yesterday and today's gain, I have recovered more than 6 months of living expenses. It's still a long way till I can set a new personal high, with international and energy stocks being down so much. I read that the stock decline world-wide YTD, meaning just over 5 trading days, has wiped out $1.7 trillion USD.

I have not done any trading since buying EDC (3X leveraged EM) at $19.95 on 12/16. It closed at 23.10 today. If the market keeps climbing, I want to raise some cash to prepare for the next dip. The problem is always deciding what to sell.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #283
Give me a forum ...

It has been an interesting week for me... a roller coaster dip and recovery.

2-Jan100.0%
5-Jan98.9%
6-Jan98.3%
7-Jan99.0%
8-Jan100.1%

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It has been an interesting week for me... a roller coaster dip and recovery.

2-Jan 100.0%
5-Jan 98.9%
6-Jan 98.3%
7-Jan 99.0%
8-Jan 100.1%
I think that roller coaster depends on your x axis. At 0 - 100(.1) I doubt you'd even notice.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #285
Give me a forum ...

The dip in the developed large-cap international markets of about -5% since recent highs around December 29 equaled their entire loss for the year in 2014.

That is, folks who rebalanced between 12/29 and 01/04 didn't do themselves any favors.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #286
Give me a forum ...

I'm continuing on a roll with my poor market timing skills. So far, the things I sold are all trading higher than when I sold them and the things I bought are all trading lower than when I bought them.

I shouldn't even be in cash since bond funds have gone up nicely in the past week, too.

But I did do some day trading and made $62.15, so I feel good. Maybe that's what I should be doing: more day trading.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #287
Give me a forum ...

More day trading today. Bought some VTI earlier in the day, but submitted order to exchange same amount out of US equities in 401(k) to go into a bond fund. I scalped about a half-percent gain if the market holds up while not changing my asset allocation at all.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #288
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, I am not a good market timer either.

The lot of EDC that I bought at 26.50 3 months ago is still underwater. It closed at 28.12 a month ago, but I did not sell. It is now at 21.80. Two days ago, I added a bit at 19.95. Will see if the whole thing makes me any money.

On the other hand, the semiconductor ETF I bought at $84.34 on Oct 17, then sold options to effectively sell it at $103 in Feb 2015, went as high as $146!

So, I sold the good one way too soon, while keeping the bad one too long. So far, loss cancels out gain, leaving me not too happy.
OK, some of my EDC shares start to get in the green at $24.48 as I write this. Hey, even a blind squirrel would find a nut sometimes by his nose. In any case, with only 1% of portfolio on this position, the gain hardly makes a dent in the bottom line. It will be a while before I set a new personal high watermark, because of other long-term positions that I have that got hurt bad such as energy stocks.

I am looking to unwind this short-term play. I probably will sell too soon and end up kicking myself, but that's nothing new.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't bring myself to look at our portfolio because of all the bad stock reports until today. Much to my amazement we are up for the year. Thank you Wellington Income and O. Wellesley isn't doing well, I assume Wellington is up because of its bonds. Our other holdings are need air freshener.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #290
Give me a forum ...

Wellesley is doing great so far this year, much better than a 60/40 portfolio and better than Wellington.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #291
Give me a forum ...

Several big news events are now past history: State of the Union, ECB QE, and the vote in Greece. The FOMC is still to play this week.

But the thought in the back of my mind that European stocks would go down was clearly wrong. Selling VEA and SCZ to buy VSS and VTI was a bust.

From my selling point VEA is up 3.8% and SCZ is up 2.9% while VSS is up only 1.5% and VTI is up only 2.5%.

Now it is not all bad news, however, as I rebalanced into equities on 1/14 and 1/15 and did some day-trading to pick up 0.5% a couple of times.

I am now overweight in equities by 2% of total portfloio value before the FOMC meeting and cannot decide to cut back before or after. I also have some cash that needs to go back into bond funds.

After the FOMC meeting: If bonds would drop, I would buy some. If equities dropped, I would buy some. If everything goes up, I would probably sell some equities and buy bond funds.

As far as market timing goes, this is all with about 2% of my portfolio.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #292
gone traveling

To keep us honest, I've had a pretty rough go with USO of late...

In November I tried to catch the falling knife and logged a 2K loss

In December, thinking i was going to harvest a few ST losses to offset ST gains before year end, I sold a position in USO for an 8K loss and then forgot the wash sale impact.... crap. So no write off... damn that hurt.

I re-opened the position in end of December....but then yesterday I sold some more USO...again, for a loss...and again wash sale impact will not allow me to take the entire loss now.

Still holding approx 50 percent of my december position but sitting on a chunk of short term losses.

I totally played this one wrong. I think we're not going to see oil pop any time soon and so going to exit the remainder of the position on any upward momentum as I believe it will be temporary and maybe, just maybe, i;ll get out OK.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #293
Give me a forum ...

Bought some US small-cap value in the form of IJS today.

I can't tell where the market is going though, so I'll guess that we'll tread water here for awhile. I'll probably be wrong about that.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #294
Give me a forum ...

My stock allocation moved up to 61% over the past few days which is too high for me, so I sold the IJS bought in the previous post.
LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter
Old 02-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #295
Give me a forum ...

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter

I finally finished the periodic investing program I've been doing for the past two years. This is for an inherited taxable IRA; my "personal" investments are separate. I am updating with the final allocations because I've been posting things all along here to this thread and no one has arrested me yet!

Here is the summary (all Fidelity funds, so I didn't bother with "Spartan", "Advantage", etc) after closing prices 2/3/2015.

This is formatted as a table, which doesn't seem to show up on my mobile device, only the full desktop site or if you specify "Web View" from the post in the app.

FUNDNAMEPERCENT
STOCKS  
FSTVXTotal Market Index7.38
FSEVXExtended Market Index19.57
FCNTXContrafund18.42
FSIVXInternational Index13.12
FEMKXEmerging Markets6.69
BONDS  
FSITXUS Bond Index14.73
FINPXInflation-Protected Bond4.9
FAGIXCapital & Income2.48
FNMIXNew Markets Income2.53
REAL ESTATE  
FRESXReal Estate Investment10.18

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #296
Give me a forum ...

Well, another time I could've timed it better. I'm trying to decide if I should sell more equities in the next 10 minutes. I guess not, even though I still have about 2%-of-portfolio more in equities than I should AND bond funds will not drop much today based on what bond ETFs are doing.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #297
Gone but not forgotten

Exciting times.
DJIA up 850 points in 3 days.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #298
Give me a forum ...

Easy come, easy go.

Today VNQ (REIT index) is down 3%. Should I chance a buy and hold over the weekend? Hmmm. Do I have the guts to do it? Not right now.

Edit at 3:55 EST: OK, a few minutes before market close I submitted a limit order to buy VNQ, but below current trading price. Let's see if we have one of those last-minute drops on the last trading day of the week.
Edit: Did not execute.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #299
Give me a forum ...

I decided to make my 2014 Roth IRA contribution today, so that --along with the money from selling IJS noted above-- was used to buy the REIT index fund VNQ earlier today.

Things have progressed nicely this year with bond funds dropping about 1.5% since the beginning of February. Those bond funds had been up 2% in January which is kind too much too soon.

The drop in bond funds has helped me finally get ahead of the mutual fund I use for a benchmark since it uses the total bond market index fund for bonds while I use the total bond index plus some shorter duration bond funds. I was behind the benchmark since it was doing so well, but now I am ahead. That's just a little schadenfreude to help you laugh at me because I know you all are thinking the VNQ will drop like a stone after I bought several hundred shares.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #300
Give me a forum ...

This is my secret formula. I have VTRIX Int'l Value and VGSLX Admiral REIT in ROTH.

When I'm paying attention, I throw $1000 or $1500 at the fund which has suffered the most. For a long time it was REIT. The last couple of years Int'l Value has been stumbling. I also take a look at my asset allocation spreadsheet, and confirm that one of these needs attention.

Whether or not this works better than funding everything at the beginning of the year I do not know.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote