Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
What is everybody else doing?
Replanning their European vacation? Pondering OMY?

I have not been buying or selling anything, nor contemplating any move. The dip is not bad enough for me to buy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #402
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've been in a trading range for so long Ive recently started selling strangles. Right now Im short some AAPL 122/133 strangles that expire on July 10th and some GOOG 490/570 strangles with normal July expiry.

I have a TWTR option trade with Dec expiry. I bought some 37/43 calls spreads and paid for them by selling some 30 puts. The trade cost nothing to put on. 30 is below the all time low for TWTR. Between 30 and 37 everything expires worthless. Above 37 in Dec and I start making money. Its at 35.95 right now. It was at 35.45 when I opened the trade a few days ago.

I bought July 100 puts on AMBA when it went parabolic up to 119.60. Its at 102.50 right now for current 140% profit.

Lastly I sold some SPY 105.50 weekly puts yesterday after the big drop.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #403
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been picking up some shares in sectors that I need to shore up my AA anyway - financials and international equity. The dip from the greek problem provided a nice segway to do this. And financials are already at a low forward PE to begin with.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #404
Give me a forum ...

Wow, utrecht has got all kinds of options plays going. I used to do options, but found I couldn't pay attention enough and the best trades were fleeting.

Today I sold in another account* some of the equivalent shares bought yesterday for a 1% gain. In addition to that 1%, the initial money came from selling VCSH which has gone ex-dividend today so has dropped in price, so I used the proceeds from today's sale to buy back VCSH.

*Once again, no commissions and no taxes with these two accounts … and no waiting for trades to settle so no free-riding.

I may do more trades today depending on how the prices for VEA / VEU / VCSH trend.

I do have some dividends appearing tomorrow which will swell the cash position that will need to be deployed into either equity or bond ETFs.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #405

I bought some leaps on BRK.B as it has come down 10% from its 2015 high.

Otherwise no other purchases/sales.... not enough movement either way.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #406
gone traveling

A very sideways US market.

I have been playing the PRC based equity ETFs a little bit to take advantage of the bull and then the sell off in that market...

KRB
ASHR
FXI
YINN
YANG. (Inverse ETF)
BABA (not an ETF)

Was long through end of last year and got out, and now reopening some long positions.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #407
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
A very sideways US market.

I have been playing the PRC based equity ETFs a little bit to take advantage of the bull and then the sell off in that market...
How much capital do you risk in the PRC market? One million dollars? Two million? ….?

Here is a very nice video report from the BBC on the China stock market from yesterday:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33389577
Old 07-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #408
Recycles dryer sheets

Added to EMR position early in the week.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:43 AM   #409
gone traveling

Quote:
How much capital do you risk in the PRC market? One million dollars? Two million? .?

Here is a very nice video report from the BBC on the China stock market from yesterday:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33389577

Many articles on china equities market. All written by journalists either not in China or generic business reporters not experienced on china matters. Pretty much worthless white noise / commentary.

Like others here , I play the china market in my mad money account. Discipline mandates no more than a 2-3 percent of total portfolio. The rest remains in boring and recently sideways ETFs like VTI and VXUS... Boring is ok too !

As for china entered last January 2014 at around the 2200 level, in and out up to 3100... Paused and Watched it zoom to 5100 in disbelief and fall back to 3600 over the past 3 months and now ready to go back in.

Reminds me a bit of the 2007 China rally. These bull boom and bust cycles are entirely consumer driven ( with some margin hot sauce added by the government there) and so don't and won't end with one single whimper...there are retail consumer stages to any inflating and deflating bubble that can be traded.

The biggest issue is the volatility and not specifically being able to trade real time - time zone, market access, especially with ETF's.

One had to be ahead of the daily moves on a 12 hour lead time. Always risky.

But the daily limit is 10 percent so that's a little downside insurance when trading this way. Of course the ETF s don't have those limits but in theory they mimic the underlying market.

This is all mad money. Don't try this at home.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #410
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Like others here , I play the china market in my mad money account. Discipline mandates no more than a 2-3 percent of total portfolio.
[]
This is all mad money. Don't try this at home.
Thanks for the explanation.

Today I see that a small-cap emerging markets ETF called EWX is now down 3.9%. I have had a small position in it for a few years now. I want to do some rebalancing into it, but I don't understand right now why it is not tracking other emerging markets ETFs like VWO, DGS, and EEMS which have lower losses.

EWX has 30% in Taiwan and 19% in China, but no Korea. 20% Financials.
EEMS has 17% in Taiwan, 17% in China, and 19% in S. Korea. 4% Financials.

Hmmm, I think I might wait a little bit, unless someone can convince me otherwise. This could be a short-term trade, too.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #411
Give me a forum ...

I see now that some of the EWX and EM drop is because oil prices have dropped quite a bit today. So I have submitted a limit order to pick up some more shares of EWX, but maybe the order won't get executed.

Update: Order did not execute. I'm a little annoyed because it does look like the ETF traded at a low enough price after order submission to have executed the order.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #412
gone traveling

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter

Order execution depends on number of shares available at that price. 1 share trading at that price does not fulfill all the order demand.

I continue to add to international as the markets beyond USA ratchet lower. Primarily a buyer of VXUS here. Now approx 18 percent of portfolio and desire is 20 percent international non-USA so - the other 2 percent is in China ETFs as noted above. 3700-3800 my entry point on the Shanghai composite again. The central government has now stepped in and will defend the market via PBOC if needed. Hard not to jump aboard that freight train.

I bought a bunch more YINN today at approx 30.00/share. It was down 20 percent today. Let's see .. 3x leverage should be interesting to watch. ...
Old 07-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #413
Give me a forum ...

I am thankful my order was not filled with EWX down a further 3% this morning.

And yes, I am aware about the volume story, especially with low-volume ETFs.

I think I am going to step back and wait a while until some capitulation shows up. With down days of 1% to 2%, that's just a slow dribble downwards to me.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #414

I sold some weekly SPY 203.50 puts a short time ago for 1.15 ea. when SPY dipped to 204.80. So far so good.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #415
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
*Once again, no commissions and no taxes with these two accounts and no waiting for trades to settle so no free-riding.
Could you explain what 'free-riding' is ?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #416
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Could you explain what 'free-riding' is ?

Thanks
An internet search engine finds better explanations of free-riding than I could ever give. I used google and found this:
SEC.gov | Freeriding
and this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_riding
Old 07-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #417

I have been toying with Gilead. Mostly option plays when it dips below $112 and selling when it goes over $116. Today it got near $113 but ended above $115. Not quite cheap enough to rebuy.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #418
Give me a forum ...

I sold at a loss the leveraged EM ETF I bought a month ago. Still have the bearish Biotech ETF, which has not made me any money. Biotech is just so damn strong.

I just sold off a few stocks, raising some cash to wait for market bottom. Cash AA is now 27%, up from the previous 25%. Drop in the bucket, but I feel like I am doing something.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #419

Don't bet against biotech. It is the only industry where inflation is the norm. Profits through the roof.

Gilead's PE is around 12.5 while the S&P500 PE is what, 19?
Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #420

Trading halted on the NYSE (not sure why)

I just filled an order for 2000 shares of Corning (GLW) while simultaneously selling 20 August $20 calls. The buy-write cost me $18.73 per share and would yield ~one month return of 6.7% if called away.

I am *ok* with holding Corning for awhile at $18.73 cost though. The payout ratio on the dividend is 22% so ultra safe, and the dividend yield is a respectable 2.56%