Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #421
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I just sold off a few stocks, raising some cash to wait for market bottom.

let me know when it arrives

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #422
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Watch here when I make some buys.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #423
Give me a forum ...

I could not resist buying something, so the looking at what I had and what I neeed to rebalance into, I bought some VEU (large-cap international) because it was the least stinky of my choices.

I had sold some VEU on 7/1, so this new purchase is just a short-term play and I intend to sell fairly quickly rain or shine.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #424
Give me a forum ...

OK, sold a moment ago the same number shares of VEU purchased yesterday. Once again, I used another account, so no taxes nor commissions, and the money is available to purchase something else right away. The result was about 1.7% gain in a few hours.

This sale will probably make things go up from here at least the rest of the day.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
OK, sold a moment ago the same number shares of VEU purchased yesterday. Once again, I used another account, so no taxes nor commissions, and the money is available to purchase something else right away.

This sale will probably make things go up from here at least the rest of the day.
How does using a separate account eliminate tax liability?
Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #426
Give me a forum ...

If it is a Roth IRA or even a traditional IRA, I don't have to worry about taxes. Even in my taxable account I have a few hundred thousand of carryover losses, so I won't be paying capital gains taxes for years and years.

The main issue is that yesterday, I used a taxable account to buy shares. If I sold those exact shares today, then I could not use the money right away because of free-riding issues. However, by selling equivalent shares in an IRA, that money is available right away for another purchase.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #427
gone traveling

Sold part of my YINN position yesterday for a modest gain. Will sell remainder of YINN after the open today for a larger gain. Being a 3x leveraged ETF it's not for faint of heart or long term holding and on days that the broader market moves 4 or 5 percent, this thing pops and drops BIG !

I found this web site and it notes the various country exposure of large ETFs like VXUS...

. Less than 5 percent in china for example .. http://etfdb.com/etf/VXUS/
Old 07-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #428
Give me a forum ...

Excellent move on the YINN. I assume that you bought it just two days ago. In contrast, I earned an F for selling my leveraged EM shares. Good thing I only played with a smallish dollar amount of a low 5-figure.

Anyway it seems strange to me that they chose YINN for a bull ETF, and YANG for the bearish counterpart. Yin as we know is negative or feminine, while Yang is positive or masculine, so I think it should be the other way around.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #429
gone traveling

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter

Quote:
Excellent move on the YINN. I assume that you bought it just two days ago. In contrast, I earned an F for selling my leveraged EM shares. Good thing I only played with a smallish dollar amount of a low 5-figure.

Anyway it seems strange to me that they chose YINN for a bull ETF, and YANG for the bearish counterpart. Yin as we know is negative or feminine, while Yang is positive or masculine, so I think it should be the other way around.

I have been in and out at various points. My average cost was 29 and got out at 30.74 yesterday and the rest at 33.80 today so it worked out.

In Chinese there is very little masculine or feminine gender other than first name, and few go by first name all.

very different from certain latin languages.

In fact, it's quite common for non native English speakers to use he and she interchangeably and incorrectly. In Chinese, his/hers he/she don't exist. They use "ta" ... Regardless of gender.

When you see the china bourse, the red days are good up days and the green days are bad down days so one must do some mental gymnastics going between the USA and china at times.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #430
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I recall now that the Chinese regard the color red as being lucky, though I did not know that green is bad.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #431
Give me a forum ...

Well I'm feeling bad that I sold a day too soon and missed out on a 3% run-up for those shares. But even with this run-up things will not be back to where they were earlier in June before the Greek referendum. At least I didn't buy anything new before June 30th.

And here comes the fade in the last half-hour of trading this week.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #432
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I'm feeling bad that I sold a day too soon and missed out on a 3% run-up for those shares...
Heck, I sold some at the absolute bottom. Why is it that every time I posted about my trades, they stinked? I'd better keep it to myself if I want to make some money.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #433

Quote:
Heck, I sold some at the absolute bottom. Why is it that every time I posted about my trades, they stinked? I'd better keep it to myself if I want to make some money.
We also want to make money and urge you to continue posting about your trades.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #434
Give me a forum ...

OK. Next time, I will post the reverse of what I do. That way, we will be in the same boat, whether it floats or sinks.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #435
Give me a forum ...

So, today I bought back a stock that I sold 2 months ago. This premier semiconductor equipment maker is a decent long-term holding, so I bought it back at a price 9% lower than what I sold it at.

Let's see if this posting will ruin it for me, and this stock turns around and continues its slide on Monday.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:31 AM   #436
gone traveling

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter

NWB - PC market reports from Gartner and IDC looking quite bearish and revised annual forecast downward for 2015 .

That doesn't bode well for companies like micron, Amd, Intel, Texas Instruments, who build factories reliant on AMAT equipment.

I think we are early innings of a downward secular cycle on chips and would be a seller of that sector. The whole sector has got a lot more room to decline in my opinion.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1436776251.243916.jpg
Old 07-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #437
Give me a forum ...

The PC market has not been doing well, hence the decline of the industry this year. But it is not the only electronic product. Earning of AMAT was projected to increase early next year, hence my buying it back.

But your post prompted me to look further, and despite the recent pullback AMAT is not yet a bargain relative to S&P, so I am looking to sell it soon to pocket some minuscule gain.

By the way, at the same time I sold some equities at the most unfortunate moment, I also bought some others, but forgot to post about it here. Guess what has done well.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #438
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So I purchased a moment ago some shares of VEA (developed markets index). It had dropped 3% yesterday, was up 1% this morning, but has settled negative so far today. This is definitely a short-term trade, so if it goes up by a percent or so, then I intend to sell it or in another account its equivalent.
I am starting to unwind this trade by selling VEA. I have sold half in the past 5 minutes

Rationale: I made the expected return and the news on Greece is out now, so I do not expect any reason the pop higher (although it could grind higher). Furthermore, I am not underweighted in this asset class anymore.

(Hmmm, in the few moments it took to type this, VEA has already gone down a few cents.) (And then back up ….)
Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #439
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I bought some leaps on BRK.B as it has come down 10% from its 2015 high.

Otherwise no other purchases/sales.... not enough movement either way.
I sold my leaps as everything went up, had invested roughly 9.5K and made 1.4K profit in 2 weeks.

I'm betting we still get a correction someday.... or.... other.........
Old 07-16-2015, 06:27 AM   #440
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought shares of EMR Emerson electric. The dividend hit 3.5% yesterday, which was our next mark. Previously I had bought 1/2 position at 3.25%. So we are fully in on this one, for the long run...