Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Earlier today when SPY spiked to 199.50, I doubled down on SDS as 21.40. I sold it about 30 mins later for 21.70. It lowered my cost basis on the SDS position Im still holding. I still believe the market is going to pull back soon.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are still net long the market, then if the market surges against your expectation, your total portfolio still goes up, just not as much.

I use these short-term bets as a way to implement "Tactical AA", to reduce or increase my stock percentage temporarily if the market is crazier than what I think it should be. And I am not right all the time, but these short-term bets can reduce portfolio volatility despite what some people may think.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If you are still net long the market, then if the market surges against your expectation, your total portfolio still goes up, just not as much.

I use these short-term bets as a way to implement "Tactical AA", to reduce or increase my stock percentage temporarily if the market is crazier than what I think it should be. And I am not right all the time, but these short-term bets can reduce portfolio volatility despite what some people may think.
I agree but I also speak from experience when I say that when you're wrong, it sucks big time. I'm a bull and look for trades that take advantage of upswings in the market or a specific stock. Ive recently turned very bearish and have several bearish trades on. When Im wrong and the market spikes up which I love to see, but Im losing money on my trades, I want to punch someone in the throat. But you are correct, it does lower your overall volatility when you have some trades that are opposite of your over all AA.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #744
Give me a forum ...

I am unsure of the direction of biotech. I traded in and out of Gilead the past few days, and also Amgen (although my last sale for a profit was at $140 which was evidently $5 or $6 too early).

I currently have some Gilead $95 Jan 2016 calls but am very uneasy. I would feel a lot better if everything just lifted off and Gilead went back to $110.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #745
Give me a forum ...

Overall portfolio is UP for the year! I love it when everything turns from red to black. So what could go wrong now?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #746
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! I am still down about -2.7%.

Things can always go wrong with the market of course, but with a lead on me, you most likely will stay ahead.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #747

I bought back my weekly SPY 195.5 calls this morning at a loss. My weekly SPY 186 puts will expire worthless for a nice profit. For the second time in the last 2 days I made a quick day trade of SDS. SPY has serious resistance at 200. When it hit 200, I bought SDS at 21.30 and sold it at 21.42 about 3 mins later. At the end of the week I will total up my SP500 related trades for the week. I dont normally trade this much but it was a strange week and Im trying to recover the loss on the weekly calls that looked very safe when I sold them.

Still holding one batch of SDS shares.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #748
Give me a forum ...

I accumulated $21.5K worth of SPXL (3X leveraged S&P) more than a week ago. My timing was not great, so the cost basis was around $72 although it dropped as low as $65. It closes at $79.77 today. To hedge, I already wrote calls on it earlier, which were out-of-the-money then, but are in the money now.

If the market holds up until the options get exercised, I will make $3200 profit or 15%. If the market drops more than 5% from the current level, I will start to lose money on this bet.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #749
Give me a forum ...

I do feel a bit like we are tilting at windmills here.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #750
Give me a forum ...

Well, the day is still young. When investors feel frustrated is when there's money to be made.

Biotech does not seem to go anywhere the last few days, but I have made a bit of money going short, then long it. Too early to know for sure what my profit will be, but my covered calls on both long and short ETFs are still outstanding, and both are now in-the-money. It's a weird situation how I got there.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #751
Give me a forum ...

I am back to even on the Gilead calls, maybe slightly ahead. I definitely sold my Amgen stock too early.

I like to feel as if I can pretend to know which direction the market and biotech is going to go, but I have no clue.

I think I will sell out of Gilead at $105. It is almost $101 now.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #752
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
C'mon folks, tell us about your AMGN and GILD plays.

Closing prices 9/28:

132.24 AMGN
94.80 GILD
104.79 CELG
Closing prices 10/8

149.90 AMGN
100.81 GILD
117.97 CELG

What a difference a week makes in this market.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:54 AM   #753

So this week didnt go that well for my trading. I really thought the market would pull back but obviously it didnt.

I sold 10 SPY 186 puts that expired worthless for $1350 profit
Sold 10 SPY 195.5 calls for $1.10 that I bought back for $3.50 for a $2400 loss
Made several trades of SDS (Sp500 2x short ETF). Im still holding the position as I still think the market moves down from here. Right now I have an unrealized loss of $1600 which would be a lot more if I hadnt day traded SDS a few times during the week for a profit.

So a total loss of $2650 this week. Not great at all but that's what happens when you turn bearish for the first time in years and the market immediately shoots up 7% in a week.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #754

Sitting on the sidelines until next week, when we test the 2020 level in the S&P.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #755
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
So a total loss of $2650 this week. Not great at all but that's what happens when you turn bearish for the first time in years and the market immediately shoots up 7% in a week.
I did not do any trade last week, as I already wrote covered calls on all my short-term trades and as they all got to be in-the-money, I am just waiting for option assignment to book the profits. That is unless the market tanks again, taking away that profits.

One thing peculiar about last week: the stocks that got beaten down really bad, not just recently but for an entire last 12 or 18 months, rallied strongly. This includes mining, metal, and other natural resource stocks. The outlook for these sectors has not brightened up any. So, what was the reason?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #756
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
One thing peculiar about last week: the stocks that got beaten down really bad, not just recently but for an entire last 12 or 18 months, rallied strongly. This includes mining, metal, and other natural resource stocks. The outlook for these sectors has not brightened up any. So, what was the reason?
You beat a dog enough eventually he bites back?

Some of the mines have decided to severely cut back on production. Probably people think we are getting near the bottom of the bear cycle in metals. Molybdenum, used in high strength steels, is trading at $4 to $5 a pound, or pretty much where it traded in 1999 (not even adjusted for inflation!). This would be ok if we still paid people 1999 wages.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #757
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's not like the world no longer needs any metal. But the rally of 20% or more in a week comes very quickly and hard to anticipate, in my view. I was watching the sector on and off, but it caught me by surprise.

But while I missed that nice gain, the stock prices remain very depressed. Look at an old-time ETF I traded in the past called XME, for example. It peaked at 95 in 2008, crashed hard to the 20s in 2009. It then rebounded to the 70s in 2011, then kept fizzle out over the next 4 years until it bottomed out at 16.50. Then last week, it jumped up to 20.

Trailing P/E of XME is 15, and the dividend yield is 3%. For bottom-fishing, it may be worth placing a small bet. A pull-back is likely, at which point I may dip my toes. Perhaps 5 years from now, I will wish I had gone "all in".

Old 10-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #758
Give me a forum ...

I didn't do any trading this past week and my portfolio went up by a 6-figure amount. Maybe I should stop market timing?

Some benchmark 1-week returns:
3.4% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund
5.0% Vanguard Total International Stock Market index fund
-.4% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index fund
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #759
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I didn't do any trading this past week and my portfolio went up by a 6-figure amount. Maybe I should stop market timing?
Is this a new form of "Wh***"?

Quote:
Some benchmark 1-week returns:
3.4% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund
5.0% Vanguard Total International Stock Market index fund
-.4% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index fund
EM Index went up more than 6%, while some beaten down sectors did even much better as I noted earlier.

But you made me look, and I did well, but not by a 6-figure. Obviously, you had more of the winning stocks, or a bigger portfolio. Or both.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #760
Give me a forum ...

Cramer seems to think that the market has established a floor.