Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
VNQ has gone up today while everything else has gone down. It has reached a reasonable point to sell it, so I sold it with a 3.7% gain.
And VNQ is up another 2% since I sold it. I sure feel like I "capitulated" back there on the 12th.

I need bond funds to drop a little bit more here before I buy back those shares.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #962
Give me a forum ...

Used cash from the 2/17 sale of IVV to buy AGG (bonds) just after the open the morning, so got a little 0.3% boost so far. (Anybody who is keeping track should note that I should've just bought right away on 2/17 for a lower price than I paid today.)

Also bought some VV on its dip this morning. It had traded down from there, so I am in the hole. My intention is to sell IVV before the end of the day if it trades relatively higher than my VV purchase price. This moves some large-cap in the 401(k) (IVV) into a taxable account (VV).

If IVV does not trade higher, then I will have to decide what to do.

Update: With 40 minutes to go, a valiant effort to go up in price has been dashed. I will delay selling for today.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #963
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Market is getting choppy again. I bought a little back on Endocyte (ECYT) but probably will watch it fall another 10% and buy the entire amount back I sold. Hard to call that one because of the low volume. It is still trading far below cash value. $20 bills for $17.

Gilead got attractive again so I bought in 500 shares at $87 today. Target sell price is $91 which I hope to meet by the end of Feb. edit (March)
Old 02-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #964
Give me a forum ...

It appears I missed an opportunity this morning to take advantage of the afternoon upward move in the stock markets. Oh, well, [successful] market timing is hard.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #965
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Gilead got attractive again so I bought in 500 shares at $87 today. Target sell price is $91 which I hope to meet by the end of Feb. edit (March)
Edit: Maybe Feb after all.

Gotta love this market. One day moves greater than our yearly SWR.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #966
Give me a forum ...

I was able to sell the IVV that I wanted to sell yesterday at above the price that I was aiming for.

I must say that I did not feel good about this morning's drop though, so I consider that I got lucky this afternoon.

I also want to mention that I have been setting price alerts at my brokers, so when something goes up or down to a level that I want to take a look at things, I get a message on my smartphone. I like this because I can be completely oblivious doing other things and don't have to pay attention. Even if I get an alert, it does not mean that I have to take action. It might mean that I walk the dog faster though.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #967
Give me a forum ...

My stocks were up 0.75% in mid-morning, beating the S&P at 0.3% then.

Went out on a grocery run with my wife.

Came back, and my stocks are now down -0.06%, still beating the S&P at -0.81%. Berkshire Hathaway helps today, after the good earning release.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #968
Full time employment: Posting here.

I missed the opportunity to short VRX this morning. It was -$5 when I was thinking of buying puts and then chickened out, it closed down -$14 at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #969
Give me a forum ...

The overall portfolio performance has been above my benchmarks for the past few days and if foreign funds outperform US funds today, then the lead over benchmarks will increase. If it gets too far above the benchmarks, that means I should be selling equities. I haven't decided a number yet, but I don't want to be too greedy.

I'm thinking that the uncertainties in the presidential election are going away and this is helpful to the stock market.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #970

I still can't decide if this is a spoof thread or not...

Am I missing something?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #971
Give me a forum ...

My posts are real. Not all of us are Bogleheads. I am not one. I am not a day trader though (would not mind being one if I know how to make money doing that!)

Anyway, on last Thursday 2/25, I bought a small amount (4 figure) of a Chinese ETF as a lark. Up 9% as I post this. I have not bought Chinese ETF directly for short-term trading in a while, though I always have quite a bit of more diversified EM ETFs.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #972

These are trades in our trading account. The real account like IRA and 401K are following boggle forum.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #973
Give me a forum ...

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My posts are real. Not all of us are Bogleheads. I am not one. I am not a day trader though (would not mind being one if I know how to make money doing that!)

Anyway, on last Thursday 2/25, I bought a small amount (4 figure) of a Chinese ETF as a lark. Up 9% as I post this. I have not bought Chinese ETF directly for short-term trading in a while, though I always have quite a bit of more diversified EM ETFs.

I would so much love to be a day trader also. It would be fun! The closest I have ever did it was past 3 weeks flipping in and out of Bunge 500 shares at a time, selling above $51 and buying in $40s. Have my trade basis down to around $42. Just re bought the other day around $49. Have patted myself on my back for my "day trading" acumen and have called the media to formally announce my retirement. I going out on top a winner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #974
Give me a forum ...

Anybody can be a day trader, as it takes only a few grand. Being a successful one is tougher.

So, I do "month" trades or "year" trades. My portfolio turnover is way lower than Wellesley 59%/year.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #975
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Anybody can be a day trader, as it takes only a few grand. Being a successful one is tougher.

So, I do "month" trades or "year" trades. My portfolio turnover is way lower than Wellesley 59%/year.

I know, that is why I have sworn it off.... I got bored and tried it once thinking it would bounce around after a poor earnings announcement. I have no temperament for such endeavors. I eventually would become a serial buy high sell lower day trader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I still can't decide if this is a spoof thread or not...

Am I missing something?
What makes you think this is a spoof thread?
Old 03-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #977
Give me a forum ...

Dixonge spent too much time on the Bogleheads forum?
Old 03-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #978

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter

In 2014, I was a multiple day trader. I was right on 98% of my trade. But I was getting distracting at work so I stopped. It was up almost 100% on a very small account. The best part was shorting a stock and the following day it went into bankruptcy, GTAT, IIRC. But the hellish part is to input thousands of trades into a Turbo Tax so I stopped. But doing very randomly now.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #979
Give me a forum ...

The tax computation burden is indeed awful. So, if I daytrade, would use a tax-deferred account. Even now, when I want to make a short-term trade, I would reach for one of my IRA accounts. No worry about wash sales either.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #980

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
What makes you think this is a spoof thread?
Because there's not a newsletter?