Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #1041
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is my taxable account. I'm not sure my Ira is set up to trade like this for a reason. I don't need to worry about my retirement. This is my Las Vegas money. I enjoy being right sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #1042
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
This is my taxable account. I'm not sure my Ira is set up to trade like this for a reason. I don't need to worry about my retirement. This is my Las Vegas money. I enjoy being right sometimes.

Yesterday was an example of a perfect day for this retiree... Selling a stock for a small profit (not even worth mentioning, its about being right as you say) and snaking a 30 foot putt in for eagle 3 on a par 5.... That could be my permanent "Ground Hog Day".

Old 03-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #1043
Give me a forum ...

That putt is a great story! Good luck trying to repeat that.

I think investors traders will want this first quarter of 2016 to finish at a year-to-date market high. With two more trading days to go, I think that will be the impetus to push things higher for the next two days. After that, who knows? Anyways, I made the prediction, so let's see how it turns out.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #1044
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
That putt is a great story! Good luck trying to repeat that.

I think investors traders will want this first quarter of 2016 to finish at a year-to-date market high. With two more trading days to go, I think that will be the impetus to push things higher for the next two days. After that, who knows? Anyways, I made the prediction, so let's see how it turns out.

Based on the frequency I do this, around 2026 I should get one again. Except by then it will have to be an 80 yard hole out as the "heavy artillery" wont get me there in 2 by then.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:19 AM   #1045
gone traveling

Was thinking about selling a bunch into this rally. Then I remembered that I need the steady dividend, that annuities and bond interest pay is very low (-and some taxed at ordinary income rates) and that this is a long marathon not a sprint.

I tend to trade when there is lots of red on the screen. That's when there is crisis and opportunity. I look for value trades.

Never been a momentum or growth investor so when everything is going up I just watch main portfolio of core holdings rise and don't worry about the little Vegas account.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #1046

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter

All the references to golf terminologies went over my head, you can tell I'm not a golfer. I sold some bio techs mutual fund that I bought a while ago for some small gain. Going forward, I think I might buy ETF instead of. Price fluctuates too much doing the day.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #1047
Give me a forum ...

It is the last day of the first quarter of year 2016 and trading seems to be pretty anemic to me. Yes, the S&P is up slightly as I type this, but my bond ETFs are up even more. It is certainly not an exciting day to sell anything.

Nevertheless, I have put in a limit order to sell some shares of IVV (S&P500 index ETF) at a price it has not reached yet today. I kinda do not expect it to get up that high, but if it does, then I will be happy to unload those shares. Maybe you all can bid up the price and make me happy?

I have to go run some errands this afternoon, so I'll post an update later.

Update: Hmmm, mostly downhill since I posted the words above. Unless there is a big end-of-day rally, my sell limit will not be reached. But look at those bond ETFs, up 0.3% which is remarkable for bond funds.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #1048
Give me a forum ...

Bummer, I should've sold yesterday with a market order and not tried to get too fancy.

But what I was going to sell is down the least this morning, so it wouldn't have done me much good anyways.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #1049

I got into more short term bond , my money has been sitting in money market.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #1050
Give me a forum ...

A few hours can make a difference: My limit price for IVV was reached, so I'm selling. First tranche sold.

Let's see if the price goes up more and a 2nd order gets filled. And it does.

Update: And look at that, still going up! I intend to sell a 3rd tranche later today if I can get an even higher price.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #1051
Give me a forum ...

Sold a 3rd tranche and will go for a 4th if the S&P500 keeps climbing. I find it unusual because oil is down 4% and large-cap international stocks are still down 1% while small-cap foreign are even. This probably means some currency plays.

I used some of the cash from selling to buy VEA (large-cap foreign) and some to buy AGG (US bond index). I'll hold the rest of the cash over the weekend.

Update after market close: No 4th sale today, but I did sell shares higher than the closing price, but not at the high for the day.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #1052
Give me a forum ...

Instead of IVV, I have been using SPY to trade the S&P 500. The two track very well, but SPY is older and has a lot higher volume (112 million shares today vs. 4 million).

Instead of selling outright, I sold covered calls on some stocks at slightly out-of-money strike prices, expiring in May. If the market slumps and the stock prices drop, I pocket the premium and still have my stocks to write calls on again. If the stocks go up and the option holder gets my stocks, it's fine too, as I make 10% or more in 50 days compared to selling right now. And these are the positions I want to trim some off the portfolio anyway.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #1053

What are the differences between VOO, SPY and IVV?

Old 04-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
What are the differences between VOO, SPY and IVV?

They are all S&P 500 index ETF's. VOO is offered by Vanguard, IVV is offered by IShares, and SPY is offered by ProShares. SPY is the highest trading volume of the three, which may offer lower spreads. I believe that IVV trades without comission at Fidelity.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
They are all S&P 500 index ETF's. VOO is offered by Vanguard, IVV is offered by IShares, and SPY is offered by ProShares. SPY is the highest trading volume of the three, which may offer lower spreads. I believe that IVV trades without comission at Fidelity.

Thank you for your explanation. I thought most people have an account with Vanguard, therefore VOO makes the most sense, to me anyway.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #1056
Give me a forum ...

There are subtle differences between VOO, IVV, and SPY.

The main difference for me is that IVV is a no-commission trade at TDAmeritrade, but VOO and SPY are not.

Another difference has to do with their dividend payouts: http://sixfigureinvesting.com/2010/0...19-march-2010/

Liquidity is OK for all three, but VOO seems to have an average bid/ask of 0.03 while IVV and SPY are usually 0.01.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #1057
Give me a forum ...

When I first ventured from mutual fund investing, SPY and DIA ("Diamond") were among the first equities I bought. These SPDRs (Standard & Poor Depository Receipts) or "Spiders" are the granddaddies of the modern ETFs, and were around in 1990's.

Back in the early 2000s, the word ETF has not been coined, and there were also HOLDRs ("Holders") for Holding Company Depository Receipts for sector plays in utilities (XLU, UTH), pharmaceuticals (PPH), energy (XLE), consumer staples (XLP), semiconductors (SMH), etc... These have been reorg'ed , and operate more like ETFs now. I still have quite a few of these.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #1058
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I used some of the cash from selling to buy VEA (large-cap foreign) and some to buy AGG (US bond index). I'll hold the rest of the cash over the weekend.
I sold the VEA I bought for a small profit this morning. So now I have even more cash to put to work. Strangely though, cash looks to be the best deal right now.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #1059

I sold some of my health care fund at a small gain. Probably about 1-1.5% for less than a month. I will buy ETF from now on if I want to trade.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:14 AM   #1060
gone traveling

Late yesterday began accumulating ERX. Will buy more from 22 or less and goal is to get the cost basis to approx 20 so any good dips below 20 will drive fast accumulation .

target long position over next few days is 1000 shares..

Long 100 shares to open.

My thesis : we're gonna retrace some of the last few weeks oil gains. Hence the position.