Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2016, 03:18 AM   #1061
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I first ventured from mutual fund investing, SPY and DIA ("Diamond") were among the first equities I bought. These SPDRs (Standard & Poor Depository Receipts) or "Spiders" are the granddaddies of the modern ETFs, and were around in 1990's.

Back in the early 2000s, the word ETF has not been coined, and there were also HOLDRs ("Holders") for Holding Company Depository Receipts for sector plays in utilities (XLU, UTH), pharmaceuticals (PPH), energy (XLE), consumer staples (XLP), semiconductors (SMH), etc... These have been reorg'ed , and operate more like ETFs now. I still have quite a few of these.

Me too. Back then it was diamonds. Spiders and the Q's...QQQQ for Nasdaq. And the holders were sector plays.

I recall a few Forex funds were interesting sector back then - trading like ETFs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter
Old 04-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #1062
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sold just in time, vht went down. Talk about timing. I didn't know AGN would drop $40 plus.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 04-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #1063
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today is the kind of day that I was hoping VEA would have had on Monday. That's why I bought it on Friday. Although today's gain was nice, it did not get back up to where I sold VEA on Monday.

I made no transactions yesterday and today.

I guess the news is that sometimes nice things happen when you cannot pay attention and take advantage of them. You just have let them go and look forward to the next time when you can do something.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #1064

I picked up crumbs again. I won't mention the stock.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #1065
Give me a forum ...

Not buying nor selling anything. Just waiting for my April put options to expire worthless, and my cash is freed up so I can do some more puts. Or not.

All this option writing, covered by the cash I have in a tax-deferred account, has returned more than 10% YTD on that cash. It's not a bad return on something with a higher risk than CDs, but lower than owning stocks outright.

Is it crumb? Yes, but crumbs are useful as a filler or binder in some dishes, like meatloaf or meatballs for example. You can eat it.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #1066
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NW, didn't you mention you had some IBB? It was up 6% today...wow!
Old 04-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #1067
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I surely do. Of course, now I wish I had more. Fear turns to greed in the blink of an eye.

My cash-covered put option on Gilead is also going to expire worthless, but that is going to give me just a bitty crumb. I should have bought it outright. Oh well...
Old 04-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #1068

I still have some health care funds, but they are not for trading. I still have a lot of cash. But I only trade on small portion of the cash. I have to be disciplined. I promise myself, I won't be greedy. The bulk of the money is in something sensible or boring.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #1069

Quote:
Yes, I surely do. Of course, now I wish I had more. Fear turns to greed in the blink of an eye.

My cash-covered put option on Gilead is also going to expire worthless, but that is going to give me just a bitty crumb. I should have bought it outright. Oh well...
I have made a bit over $19,000 this year alone trading Gilead and IBB (sometimes only holding it for a day or two). I am actually well on my way to reaching our ACA minimum income goal with just this one little $100,000 account.

Who needs a million to retire? Retire on $100k (and TUMS)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #1070

Quote:
When I first ventured from mutual fund investing, SPY and DIA ("Diamond") were among the first equities I bought. These SPDRs (Standard & Poor Depository Receipts) or "Spiders" are the granddaddies of the modern ETFs, and were around in 1990's.....
Yes, my DW was a bit surprised years ago when I told her I bought her a bunch of DIAMONDs (DIA)
Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #1071
gone traveling

Was thinking about IBB a few weeks ago. Shucks. Missed it

Am Buying ERX in the market today. Eventual goal is a $25k position below 22...
Old 04-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #1072

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Was thinking about IBB a few weeks ago. Shucks. Missed it

Am Buying ERX in the market today. Eventual goal is a $25k position below 22...
IBB is headed down today a little bit...might be able to buy tomorrow if it is down some more.

I am looking at it now, flipping a coin to see if I want buy in and ride it back up.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #1073

I'm not buying ibb yet. But I was thinking of shorting tsla but had to run some errands and now it's down. I'm not shorting on a down day.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #1074
Give me a forum ...

Just to keep myself honest, I have to report that I bought some VTI (total US stock market index) a moment ago with the money that I raised by selling VEA the other day. I guess the main reason is that US stocks basically are even today while foreign stocks are up.

If VTI goes up a little bit next week, then I intend to sell some IVV (S&P500) to get my US equities percentage back to where I like it.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #1075
Give me a forum ...

I did not make any trade this week. The market is stirring crazy again. On Tuesday, I "lost" the same amount as I have spent YTD. On Wednesday, I made it back plus a bit more. On Thursday, I lost it again.

Today is an OK day; my stocks are up 0.71% vs. 0.28% for the S&P. Some of the beaten down stocks are gaining, such as EM, in fact overall foreign stocks, energy and metal sectors, etc...

Next Friday, my April put options will expire, freeing up some more of my cash. But I will be traveling, and so may not have time to follow the market and may miss some opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I have made a bit over $19,000 this year alone trading Gilead and IBB (sometimes only holding it for a day or two). I am actually well on my way to reaching our ACA minimum income goal with just this one little $100,000 account.

Who needs a million to retire? Retire on $100k (and TUMS)
That's not shabby, and about 2x the return the cash I set aside to trade. Again, I use most of that cash to cover my put options, so do not make as much as buying the stocks outright. Still, that gain covers a bit more than 50% of my expenses YTD.

Overall, my trading activities did not return enough to really impact the entire portfolio return. But as a lark, any gain on that cash beyond CD or I-bond rates is a plus, particularly as I try to do what I consider lower risks than buying stocks outright with that cash.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #1076

I sit for long periods with pure cash in my brokerage account. For example, today I sold out of Gilead in the morning when it was $97.xx and only bought back a few thousand $$ at $95.xx right before the market closed. $95,000 will likely sit in the account in cash for a few weeks as we are busy and I won't be trading.

I kind of want to do the cash secured put thing on some weeklies but really have to wonder if $300 or so I would make net of commissions would be worth tying up the $95k if I do get a chance to trade.

First world problems.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #1077
Give me a forum ...

Going on margin if you need more to put on the table?

Speaking of the $300 to make on $95K using "weeklies", you were talking about very soon-to-expired options. I prefer options 1 to 2 months out. They also pay a few hundred bucks, on a smaller cash amount to back them up, but over a longer period. And then, I tend to layer them (like people layering their CDs) using smaller bets, so that I will not exhaust my ammo in just one volley. My winnings are smaller that way, but I want some steady income, and I always have cash rotating back in.

I have more cash stashed in I-bonds and 401k stable value fund. Last recession, I did not touch them, and only used the cash I raised by cutting stock AA before the bottom. Of course I have been kicking myself for not going "all in".
Old 04-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #1078
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Just to keep myself honest, I have to report that I bought some VTI (total US stock market index) a moment ago with the money that I raised by selling VEA the other day. I guess the main reason is that US stocks basically are even today while foreign stocks are up.

If VTI goes up a little bit next week, then I intend to sell some IVV (S&P500) to get my US equities percentage back to where I like it.
Things were looking good in the first hour of trading, then stabilized at a lower level until the last hour when things dropped.

I asked myself, would I have been better off not selling VEA which closed slightly up and not buying VTI which closed slightly down? The answer turns out to be No with the reason that VEA closed more lower than I sold it at than VTI closed lower than I bought it at. I'm ahead a few bucks over doing nothing. And my portfolio went up today even though my benchmark was flat today.

That probably means big losses tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #1079

Goodness these ETFs are like yoyo, yesterday I bought some vti and vbr, just so that I have them in my account, before I forget these names. It went down immediately. Today they went up and I sold them for 1% gain. But I only bought a small amount. I picked up crumbs again. Immediately after I sold it went down from the high.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #1080
Give me a forum ...

Some nice action today with a continual up move into the last hour of trading.

Clearly, I should've kept the VEA and not the VTI, but no matter. I submitted a limit order to sell some IVV (S&P500) at about 0.5% higher than it is trading now. I may modify the order before the close, but I will be working outside for awhile and may not get back to check on it.

Update after market close: Limit order did not execute.