Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #1081
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice move on vwo, I sold some, I wouldn't have thought about it until reading ER.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter
Old 04-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #1082

Sold EEM, I bought the wrong ETF and soon after purchasing I realized it was wrong. This is not free trade for vanguard so I loaded up on VWO after purchasing it. Glad to make 1%.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #1083
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think EM follows oil prices somewhat, so with oil & gas in the news (who bought CHK last week? ) we can expect some relatively large moves.

Short-term momentum seems to be up now through this earnings season, but I need to keep selling which is so hard to do when things keep going up and more importantly when things look like they are going to keep going up.

I guess my strategy is to set a limit price to sell that is probably out of reach for the day, so that if it is executed I think to myself "That's ridiculous, so I will take it."

I need to sell US equities, foreign developed equities, and emerging market equities to get back to my desired asset allocations in them. While 2016 didn't start out great, it has turned out just fine so far.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #1084
Give me a forum ...

The market did a great job today and essentially rose all the way to the end.

So I did set some limit prices to sell. Some orders were executed and others were not. The ones which were not, I changed my orders to market orders here in the last 15 minutes and they were executed.

I sold some IVV (US large cap), VBR (US small cap value), VEA (developed foreign), and DGS (emerging small). All were held in IRAs, so no tax consequences and no commissions.

The theme of selling was mostly reduce equity exposure and clean-up small lots purchased manually by dividend reinvesting. In these accounts were quite a few lots of 1, 4, 13 shares ...., so even though these were sold in IRAs, I still specified the shares to sell in order to make my set of lots simple. For example, instead of 13 separate lots of DGS in one account, there are now about 4.

Gains for 2016 have now exceeded 6-figures. Let's hope they keep piling on!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #1085
Give me a forum ...

I continue to sell equities, but I am getting close to the end of the sales.

I sold more VEA (large-cap developed) this morning.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #1086

The headline is Doha Brouhaha. Oil tumbling down 5%. It's going to be a wild ride Monday. Hang on to your seat.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #1087
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
The headline is Doha Brouhaha. Oil tumbling down 5%. It's going to be a wild ride Monday. Hang on to your seat.
Well look at that!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Well look at that!

So far it doesn't seem to affect stocks except Nikkei. No wild ride yet.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #1089
Give me a forum ...

I bought a couple of ETFs, then immediately wrote covered calls on them with May expiry and strike prices around the current values. If they get exercised, I will make less than $1K on this play.

It's not a lot of money for a lark, but the annualized return would be excellent for committing the money for just 30 days.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #1090
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think EM follows oil prices somewhat, so with oil & gas in the news (who bought CHK last week? ) we can expect some relatively large moves.

Short-term momentum seems to be up now through this earnings season, but I need to keep selling which is so hard to do when things keep going up and more importantly when things look like they are going to keep going up.

I guess my strategy is to set a limit price to sell that is probably out of reach for the day, so that if it is executed I think to myself "That's ridiculous, so I will take it."
Clearly, I started selling too soon and missed out on some gains in the past couple of days with international equities doing better than US equities.

Nevertheless, I have submitted another limit order to sell some small-cap emerging markets: EWX. It is troubling though quotes on some web sites for EWX are wrong, but this is a low-volume ETF so maybe that is to be expected.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #1091
Give me a forum ...

My EWX limit order did not execute yesterday. I had set the limit price just a tad too high.

Today EWX has traded lower than what I could have sold it for yesterday. It might even look like there is decent volume today, but that's a fake-out. The last trade I see was a block trade at 11:38:57 for 80,100 shares or about 86% of the total volume so far today.

I am still trying to sell some EWX. It looks like a trade happens about every 30 minutes or so.

Update about 20 min before the market close: EWX recovered nicely throughout the day as oil prices seem to have risen, too. I've sold about half the EWX I want to sell. I used the money to buy bond fund AGG. I still have a limit order in for the rest of the shares of EWX and it might get filled here in the next 20 minutes … you never know.

I like that the REIT fund VNQ dropped today, too. So I bought some shares with the money from selling VEA the other day.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #1092

I moved some of my money into bonds as well, but Wellesley is my bond choice fund. I finally got paper from Vanguard to trade options. I've been too busy to get to it. Now I will have more trading options in my IRA.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #1093

This morning, I rack my brain to understand the term helicopter money by Draghi, what exactly does it mean? Any idea?

Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #1094
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This morning, I rack my brain to understand the term helicopter money by Draghi, what exactly does it mean? Any idea?
Google is an amazing tool...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_money
Old 04-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #1095
Give me a forum ...

Recently, Bernanke was called "Helicopter Ben" when he mentioned the quote by Friedman from 1969. Fedup apparently missed this period.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #1096

No I was here on earth, just not always conscious. I need to read that link and try to understand more. This sounds like it's on top of QE.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #1097
Give me a forum ...

The money I didn't lose by selling equities the past few days, I lost anyways by buying VNQ too soon.

There's only one solution to the problem: Double up on VNQ. So I will sell some bond ETF shares and buy more VNQ later today.

Update: Orders executed.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #1098

Ibb went up, everything else is down. This is mild though and expected.
Edit to add tomorrow will be ugly, GOOGL stock is down $40 after hours.
Hang in there for a wild ride.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #1099
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Edit to add tomorrow will be ugly, GOOGL stock is down $40 after hours.
Hang in there for a wild ride.
I have to say that if anybody ELSE had posted this, then I would be worried. But based on your recent track record, I'm looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #1100

Quote:
I have to say that if anybody ELSE had posted this, then I would be worried. But based on your recent track record, I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Haha, I'm practicing my career as a fortune teller.