Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #1701
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So I thought I should comment on DGS again today. It is trading below where I bought it on June 5th and well below where I sold it on June 6th. I still own the same number of shares I owned on June 4th.

One may well ask: Since it is trading lower than you bought it the other day, why not buy more again today? That is, if the price on Tuesday was good enough to buy, why not buy again at a lower price available on Thursday?

I thought about this inconsistency and I can only say that today on Thursday, DGS is doing what everything else is doing. It is not bucking the daily trend with other foreign ETFs and emerging markets ETFs down quite a bit. It is not sticking out like a sore thumb which it did a couple days ago on Tuesday. So I just don't feel compelled to buy any DGS shares today.

Now what would make the whole EM sector stick out to me would be a drop today in the 3% or so range which I suppose could still happen. A 3% drop over 2 or 3 days would not stick out and I wouldn't want to buy any shares then either. 933

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #1702
Give me a forum ...

OK, I succumbed to some temptation. Late this afternoon I sold a Total US Stock Market Index ETF and bought some DGS anyways below the price I paid on June 5, but also fewer shares than I bought back then. No commissions and no taxes for either of these trades.

I guess this was a compromise to myself since it was an equity for equity trade and towards getting my portfolio back into the US:foreign balance that I desire. But what tipped me over the edge was that I sold SPTM which was up more than VTI was down at the time. Both SPTM and VTI are total US stock market index ETFs, so should move about the same. When they move differently, my brain perks up. This could be my downfall though.

I have some DGS available to sell with no commission tomorrow or in the near future if DGS goes up spectacularly.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #1703
Give me a forum ...

It should be an interesting week with the FOMC meeting, the NK meeting, and the dissing of the major trading partners of the USA. And if that isn't stressful enough, I intend to buy a new car this week, too.

So I will probably end up selling equities in my taxable account to get the cash for the car, but I see lots of 0%-interest loan incentives, too. 267

Good luck to all this week!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #1704
Give me a forum ...

So all the news is out and nothing really happened, except I bought a car with a loan of 0% interest.

I did put the max I could though on my 2% cash-back credit card to get a little kicker. I sold some shares of VV large-cap index) in order to pay off most of the upcoming credit card charge early. 690
Old 06-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #1705
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
OK, I succumbed to some temptation. Late this afternoon I sold a Total US Stock Market Index ETF and bought some DGS ....
So this trade back on June 7th was a bust. DGS is down about 2% and Total US Stock Market is up slightly since then.

It's a small hole, but a hole nevertheless. I don't have any ideas right now that would fill in the hole. 005
Old 06-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #1706
Give me a forum ...

Time for a short update or spin on the recent trades. The DGS I bought on 6/7 is down more than 5%, so that is a total bust. So how I can spin this to make me feel better? Here goes ...

Three things:

1. The total return of DGS held for all of 2018 so far YTD is listed as -5.48% at morningstar.com. My return is -3.65%, so almost a full 2% better because of market timing.

2. I sold DGS in a Roth at a profit back in February and bought is back in a tax-deferred account. So I got those gains tax-free, but the subsequent losses will reduce my future taxes in that tax-deferred account.

3. The overall portfolio is still ahead of most of its benchmarks. It does lag a benchmark that has no foreign equities which makes sense since international stocks are a sore spot right now. Things could be worse I suppose.

The above does make me feel enough better, that I might buy some more DGS later this week.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #1707
Give me a forum ...

This morning I did a little reinvesting of dividends that were recently paid. It is nice that the markets dropped since things went ex-dividend, so I get to use the money to buy at lower prices.

But no major purchases ... just a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

One problem with ETFs is that the ex-dividend date and the payable date are separated by 5 days and during those 5 days I have to be careful when checking my asset allocation numbers to include the cash that will be appearing. But with the recent market swoon and the dividends, I think I am underweight in equities, so I need to buy more. I just wish there was a big dump that would make me want to do that.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #1708
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
How much for the newsletter?

When you get informercial finished please post it. Make sure to include some hot girls in the commercial since I doubt there will be many viewers otherwise.

sorry i am a Betty White fan

a great cheese-cake will win me

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #1709
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
sorry i am a Betty White fan

a great cheese-cake will win me
Why are you trashing up LOL's investment thread with this?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:12 PM   #1710
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Why are you trashing up LOL's investment thread with this?
Ha! Ha! You have to go back to the very beginning of this thread to see the reason for Betty White.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #1711
Give me a forum ...

It is probably time for an update to the Market Timing Newsletter.

Basically, I have made no transactions since the last posting of transactions in early June except for some token reinvestment of dividends. I spent the June quarterly dividends on vacations, a bit for part of a new car, summer college tuition, so they were not really reinvested.

The portfolio was cooking along ahead of its benchmarks until today when international equities dropped almost 2% and domestic equities dropped about half a percent.

The portfolio has almost 50% of equities in international which are down about 4% for 2018 while US equities are up 8%. Despite this 12% difference in return, earlier market timing in 2018 kept the portfolio ahead of the benchmarks until today. Now the portfolio slightly trails its benchmarks.

So what is going to happen? I cannot predict the future, so I don't know. I don't have any trades planned though, so I am just sitting tight right now. I may have to rebalance into international though next week which is not looking to me like a good move. 554