Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Longest bull market ever?
Old 09-23-2016, 02:10 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
gcgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 879
Longest bull market ever?

Longest Bull, Ever? | Meb Faber Research - Stock Market and Investing Blog

Current bull market is the 3rd longest ever, 89 months and up 185%. If we can go to next March, it will be longest ever, although the 1921-29 market went up almost 500%.

What, me worry?
__________________

__________________
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. YB
gcgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Sojourner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 665
Looking back, sure am glad I decided to throw a big chunk of cash into the market in 2010 that had been sitting idle. Probably the best financial decision I've ever made. Even when we get the inevitable correction, hard to complain about 7 straight years of generally good performance.
__________________

__________________
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
kitesurfer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: jax
Posts: 210
continuous bull market? NOT!!! I moved 359k to s&p500 acct. lost 38k in two months. it has taken me a year to make it back, just now breaking even after 18 months. so i had a big bear in the middle of my bull.
__________________
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
continuous bull market? NOT!!! I moved 359k to s&p500 acct. lost 38k in two months. it has taken me a year to make it back, just now breaking even after 18 months. so i had a big bear in the middle of my bull.
Markets are not usually defined by individual results.
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Markets are not usually defined by individual results.
Agreed. Doesn't it take a recession, to determine the end of a bull market? And I believe a recession is counted as two consecutive quarters of negative growth?

in my case, I did well in 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013. Lost a little in 2011. 2014 was mediocre. 2015 was almost flat. 2016 has been good, so far.

But, if you plot it out on a graph, even though it's jagged, the line has been trending up. I had a quick dip in 2011 where I dropped about 14% in a month, but still ended the year down only about $1000. I heard the market did a quick 10% correction in late 2014, but I guess I'm diversified enough that it didn't hurt me that bad. Or maybe it fixed itself quickly enough that my records don't show it, as I only keep data from the last trading day of the month.

And, I think there was a point early this year where I might have been about 9-10% off a peak in 2015, but again, it corrected fairly fast.
__________________
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Agreed. Doesn't it take a recession, to determine the end of a bull market? And I believe a recession is counted as two consecutive quarters of negative growth?

in my case, I did well in 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013. Lost a little in 2011. 2014 was mediocre. 2015 was almost flat. 2016 has been good, so far.

But, if you plot it out on a graph, even though it's jagged, the line has been trending up. I had a quick dip in 2011 where I dropped about 14% in a month, but still ended the year down only about $1000. I heard the market did a quick 10% correction in late 2014, but I guess I'm diversified enough that it didn't hurt me that bad. Or maybe it fixed itself quickly enough that my records don't show it, as I only keep data from the last trading day of the month.

And, I think there was a point early this year where I might have been about 9-10% off a peak in 2015, but again, it corrected fairly fast.


Technically it does not require a recession.... it just means the index goes down 20%.... but that usually comes because of a recession...


Now, I do think it was close a time or two, but not sure how close...













Bear Market Definition | Investopedia


What is a 'Bear Market'

A bear market is a condition in which securities prices fall and widespread pessimism causes the stock market's downward spiral to be self-sustaining. Investors anticipate losses as pessimism and selling increases. Although figures vary, a downturn of 20% or more from a peak in multiple broad market indexes, such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) or Standard & Poor's 500 Index (S&P 500), over a two-month period is considered an entry into a bear market.
__________________
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,510
It has been a good ride last 89 months, although not a totally smooth one. Just like it has always been over the past 100 years in stock market. With some years better than others, some mid-term corrections (but below 20%), the overall avg return is good over a longer period. Probably the number one reason why some allocation with a fixed income portion is advised, along with diversification of the equities portion. I guess I don't get as concerned when playing on the house's money.
__________________
After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says, W-T-F...

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 2,193
Ya sure ain't gonna get rich with 1% in CD's.
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Looking back, sure am glad I decided to throw a big chunk of cash into the market in 2010 that had been sitting idle. Probably the best financial decision I've ever made. Even when we get the inevitable correction, hard to complain about 7 straight years of generally good performance.

Me too. I have another chunk of cash that I wish I had put to work last year but I can't complain.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:12 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DrRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,590
I don't think a bull market is going to end because of a date. I think they end when sellers outnumber buyers over a period of time, and also generally at a relative high in bullish sentiment. I do not see that level of bullishness now. We have also recently broken above a near two year consolidation. The situation still seems favorable at present to me, but I am also not a market timer so I am not doing anything about it in either direction.
__________________
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir
DrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Longest Bull, Ever? | Meb Faber Research - Stock Market and Investing Blog

Current bull market is the 3rd longest ever, 89 months and up 185%. If we can go to next March, it will be longest ever, although the 1921-29 market went up almost 500%.

What, me worry?
Eventually it's got to end. It always does. What goes up, must come down (and what goes down, always seems to come back up, too). As for the timing? I have no clue.

I am just so grateful to have had this bull market during the first seven years of my retirement. I probably owe my Dream Home to the bull market, because I don't think I would have dared go for it had things not been so ideal thus far.
__________________

__________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself; do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

― B. Lee








W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the longest you've ever stayed awake? simple girl Other topics 68 10-16-2009 06:18 PM
Longest post I've ever made on net One-Zero Hi, I am... 26 10-09-2007 06:58 AM
Bull Market runnerr FIRE and Money 21 06-02-2007 01:17 PM
New Bull Market Bikerdude FIRE and Money 17 04-21-2007 01:52 PM
The Gold Bull Market johnlw FIRE and Money 38 05-14-2006 05:03 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.