Join Early Retirement Today

Longest bull market ever?
Old 09-23-2016, 02:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Longest bull market ever?

Longest Bull, Ever? | Meb Faber Research - Stock Market and Investing Blog

Current bull market is the 3rd longest ever, 89 months and up 185%. If we can go to next March, it will be longest ever, although the 1921-29 market went up almost 500%.

What, me worry?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Looking back, sure am glad I decided to throw a big chunk of cash into the market in 2010 that had been sitting idle. Probably the best financial decision I've ever made. Even when we get the inevitable correction, hard to complain about 7 straight years of generally good performance.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
gone traveling

continuous bull market? NOT!!! I moved 359k to s&p500 acct. lost 38k in two months. it has taken me a year to make it back, just now breaking even after 18 months. so i had a big bear in the middle of my bull.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
continuous bull market? NOT!!! I moved 359k to s&p500 acct. lost 38k in two months. it has taken me a year to make it back, just now breaking even after 18 months. so i had a big bear in the middle of my bull.
Markets are not usually defined by individual results.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Markets are not usually defined by individual results.
Agreed. Doesn't it take a recession, to determine the end of a bull market? And I believe a recession is counted as two consecutive quarters of negative growth?

in my case, I did well in 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013. Lost a little in 2011. 2014 was mediocre. 2015 was almost flat. 2016 has been good, so far.

But, if you plot it out on a graph, even though it's jagged, the line has been trending up. I had a quick dip in 2011 where I dropped about 14% in a month, but still ended the year down only about $1000. I heard the market did a quick 10% correction in late 2014, but I guess I'm diversified enough that it didn't hurt me that bad. Or maybe it fixed itself quickly enough that my records don't show it, as I only keep data from the last trading day of the month.

And, I think there was a point early this year where I might have been about 9-10% off a peak in 2015, but again, it corrected fairly fast.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Agreed. Doesn't it take a recession, to determine the end of a bull market? And I believe a recession is counted as two consecutive quarters of negative growth?

in my case, I did well in 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013. Lost a little in 2011. 2014 was mediocre. 2015 was almost flat. 2016 has been good, so far.

But, if you plot it out on a graph, even though it's jagged, the line has been trending up. I had a quick dip in 2011 where I dropped about 14% in a month, but still ended the year down only about $1000. I heard the market did a quick 10% correction in late 2014, but I guess I'm diversified enough that it didn't hurt me that bad. Or maybe it fixed itself quickly enough that my records don't show it, as I only keep data from the last trading day of the month.

And, I think there was a point early this year where I might have been about 9-10% off a peak in 2015, but again, it corrected fairly fast.

Technically it does not require a recession.... it just means the index goes down 20%.... but that usually comes because of a recession...

Now, I do think it was close a time or two, but not sure how close...

Bear Market Definition | Investopedia

What is a 'Bear Market'

A bear market is a condition in which securities prices fall and widespread pessimism causes the stock market's downward spiral to be self-sustaining. Investors anticipate losses as pessimism and selling increases. Although figures vary, a downturn of 20% or more from a peak in multiple broad market indexes, such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) or Standard & Poor's 500 Index (S&P 500), over a two-month period is considered an entry into a bear market.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #7

It has been a good ride last 89 months, although not a totally smooth one. Just like it has always been over the past 100 years in stock market. With some years better than others, some mid-term corrections (but below 20%), the overall avg return is good over a longer period. Probably the number one reason why some allocation with a fixed income portion is advised, along with diversification of the equities portion. I guess I don't get as concerned when playing on the house's money.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ya sure ain't gonna get rich with 1% in CD's.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Looking back, sure am glad I decided to throw a big chunk of cash into the market in 2010 that had been sitting idle. Probably the best financial decision I've ever made. Even when we get the inevitable correction, hard to complain about 7 straight years of generally good performance.

Me too. I have another chunk of cash that I wish I had put to work last year but I can't complain.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:12 AM   #10

I don't think a bull market is going to end because of a date. I think they end when sellers outnumber buyers over a period of time, and also generally at a relative high in bullish sentiment. I do not see that level of bullishness now. We have also recently broken above a near two year consolidation. The situation still seems favorable at present to me, but I am also not a market timer so I am not doing anything about it in either direction.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Longest Bull, Ever? | Meb Faber Research - Stock Market and Investing Blog

Current bull market is the 3rd longest ever, 89 months and up 185%. If we can go to next March, it will be longest ever, although the 1921-29 market went up almost 500%.

What, me worry?
Eventually it's got to end. It always does. What goes up, must come down (and what goes down, always seems to come back up, too). As for the timing? I have no clue.

I am just so grateful to have had this bull market during the first seven years of my retirement. I probably owe my Dream Home to the bull market, because I don't think I would have dared go for it had things not been so ideal thus far.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote