Join Early Retirement Today

Lost Money in the Markets? Wall Street Thinks It's Your Own Fault
Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Lost Money in the Markets? Wall Street Thinks It's Your Own Fault

Here's an interesting article with this title

https://news.fidelity.com/news/news....13345679&IMG=N

All the more reason to stay away from Full service brokers and/or rogue financial advisors.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Administrator

Pretty scary article, I agree.

Wall Street can think what they want. I'm just small potatoes to people like that, and there is no way I would hire someone to make my investing decisions for me.

Nobody cares as much about my money as I do. For me, it's DIY all the way, through Vanguard.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My brother uses MStanley and seem to believe all this broker(FA) says. When I came for a visit, he even introduce me to him. Over dinner I told them I am a big fan of Jack Bogle, and that's it. And added, whatever stocks I buy I do it my own way. The conversation didn't go very far.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

So if I understand that last case correctly, the brokerage firm has gone to court to overturn the arbitration result. The "binding" arbitration agreements they force customers to accept when opening an account are binding that customers accept the arbitration results but not binding on the brokerage to accept the results, even when they stack the arbitration panels with industry insiders. This is begging for legislative action.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Excerpt from the linked article in the OP:
Financial firms can be aggressive in arguing that losses are someone else's fault. Consider the document that Oppenheimer & Co. filed with Finra on Jan. 2 in response to a complaint by an 85-year-old widow.

The widow had claimed that, over a 3- year period, she lost $65,000 from churning and unauthorized trading in her $186,000 account and paid $101,000 in commissions.

In its answer, provided to me by the woman's Kansas City, Mo., lawyer, Diane Nygaard -- arbitration filings are not available to the public -- Oppenheimer cited market volatility as one reason the portfolio turned down. But the firm also pulled out the ratification defense: Because the widow never complained about unsuitable investments, she thus gave her blessing to what was going on.

Note the above numbers that I made boldface. Does it mean that the 85-year old now has $186K - $65K - $101K = $20K left? YIKES!

Her broker was playing the roulette on the market with the client's money. I guess for him, the thrill beats going to Vegas, and at somebody else's expense to boot.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Note the above numbers that I made boldface. Does it mean that the 85-year old now has $186K-$65K-$101K = $20K left? YIKES!
Apparently so. I used to arrest people who did that kind of thing. Evidently it is legal if a brokerage does it.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I find that I sleep better knowing that my S&P fund is generally safe and sound. Returning almost as much as any 'high dividend' stock portfolio. And there are no fees from a FA. That certainly beats a FA being able to pick stocks.

And I am beating the market...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I find that I sleep better knowing that my S&P fund is generally safe and sound. Returning almost as much as any 'high dividend' stock portfolio. And there are no fees from a FA. That certainly beats a FA being able to pick stocks.

And I am beating the market...
How does a S&P fund beat the market? The appropriate market comparison would be the S&P 500 index. Your fund should trail that by the expense ratio.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Wall Street can think what they want. I'm just small potatoes to people like that, and there is no way I would hire someone to make my investing decisions for me.

Nobody cares as much about my money as I do. For me, it's DIY all the way, through Vanguard.
And full auto! Vanguard Target Retirement.

heh heh heh - Now being male - never over $5 on a football game or 5% of total retirement stash on 'a few good stocks'. Of course 'good stocks' can only be bought during football season.

And yes the Wife MADE ME watch the World Series! Saint's won also.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Definitely scary.

Although I do have almost everything in Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 VFORX so it appears I'm quite content paying Vanguard 0.10 bp to make investing decisions and do rebalancing for me.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #11

Does a person that manages to get a lower return than some benchmark lose money in the market even though their return was >= inflation?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

Can't say I'm surprised at all, just more routine pilfering, happens all the time to the uniformed and trusting souls who give their money to others to manage.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have lost money and it IS my own fault. I have proven many times I am perfectly capable of losing my own money, thank you. I do not have to pay someone to do it for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1 and a bit more.

I don't even talk with the Vanguard representative assigned to me. The last one I communicated with (before he left and got replaced), I exchanged emails and said "Don't call me, I'll call you" . DIY all the way here too.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I have lost money and it IS my own fault. I have proven many times I am perfectly capable of losing my own money, thank you. I do not have to pay someone to do it for me.
+1. Many of my hot stock from ~2000 are no longer listed. Others I sold at a loss have gone on to soar.

The S&P is a much better alternative for me.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
+1

I paid someone who then in turn paid managers to lose my money for a while.

Alas, I couldn't afford how good they were at it and had to go back to my own, less effective rate of wealth destruction

Seriously, at that point in my life I paid someone to manage my money but mowed my own lawn. Now I manage my money and pay someone to mow my lawn. Much better use of both my dollars and my time!!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah. Why find new ways to lose money when the old ones were working so we'll!

Seriously though... I wish there was better general education here. The people who make money on transactions can spend so much on marketing and advertising that they can really get the word out. No one makes money saying "reduce fees, taxes and transaction costs" . I learned it the hard way but I was pretty young and since then stopped paying experts.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app