Loving the up and up of markets these days

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Man its been a very nice market for sometime now and I like it a lot. I'm not sure what is feeding it and driving it so nicely. What is your take on the strength of the market these days?

Corporate earnings dropped from 2015 to 2016. The outlook for corporate earnings has improved since it bottoming out in mid 2016. The improvement started late 2016.

Once the stocks take off, buying begets more buying. In other words, good old greed.

Last edited:
Corporate earnings dropped from 2015 to 2016. The outlook for corporate earnings has improved since it bottoming out in mid 2016. The improvement started late 2016.

Once the stocks take off, buying begets more buying. In other words, good old greed.

Yes, that, plus the economy is actually improving some at present, and investors perceive that the new administration is going to be more business friendly.

We definitely need to keep politics out of the discussion, please. :)

Close to historically low interest rates doesn't hurt either.
IOW: The only game in town

Last edited:
The U.S. dollar is still the most stable and reliable home for international investment. Our economy is quite good compared to the rest of the world and our stock market has significantly outperformed the international markets in recent years. For those reasons, I overwhelmingly stick with domestic ETFs and other U.S. investments.

Having said that, my feeling is that prospects are very mixed - earnings growth is not stellar, "free" money is going away, and our domestic market is not the bulwark of consumption it used to be. A lot of corporate earnings comes from offshore, so we are vulnerable to the global economy like everyone else. I find the current affairs in China and Europe to be worrisome and the new norms of market volatility excessive. And lastly, while the [transitional] energy sector takes a powder, relatively meagre U.S. Corporate profits are being boosted by industries like technology and health care that are also notoriously fickle. Huge financial industry profits don't necessarily make me feel good either.

Up cycles are usually followed by down cycles, so I'm not getting too excited about this run. Just when I start to get excited I'm making real money is usually when I get killed. I think there will be a big correction sometime later this year and I'm protecting my profits with a bunch of stop-loss orders that I review and adjust regularly.

Last edited:
... I think there will be a big correction sometime later this year and I'm protecting my profits with a bunch of stop-loss orders that I review and adjust regularly.

That's what we all think, but react differently.

Some do nothing. Some rebalance. Some do stop orders. I write out-of-the-money covered calls.

PS. I used to do trailing stop orders. But then, I got some luck with covered calls that did not get exercised, so have been doing that. Should think of doing trailing stops again.

Last edited:
I'm loving it but not taking it for granted. I've done the calculation on the impact of a 20% correction from the current levels to my portfolio, and it still keeps me above my FI level. So I'm cautiously happy. :)

If earnings per share are up after the buy-back, that means the shares are worth more, and I don't think that is bad.

If the earnings per share are still down, now, that's something else.

... I'm protecting my profits with a bunch of stop-loss orders that I review and adjust regularly.

I'm a 'never say never' kind of guy, but I would never use a stop loss order.

You can get taken out on a wild swing, like the flash-crash. Just make a note, and sell low if you want to violate the 'buy low, sell high' philosophy.

-ERD50

I would use only trailing-stop-limit orders. They may not get me out at all if the market drops right through the limit, but that would be the same as not doing anything.

And I would use it only on stocks that I feel that they are topping out.

Last edited:
Besides rebalancing once a year my investing strategy is: 1) look everyday when the markets are on an upward streak; 2) don't look on all other occasions.
I've been looking lately!!

Thanks for responding and I'm glad no political issue was posted. Interesting replies to what is driving these times and I appreciate all your knowledge in financing.

Last edited:
Somewhere, I read that institutional investors are not buying much, but it is individual investors who are now piling in. Also, money starts coming out from fixed income to go to equities. Buy, buy, buy!

If I find it again, will post the link here.

Man its been a very nice market for sometime now and I like it a lot. I'm not sure what is feeding it and driving it so nicely. What is your take on the strength of the market these days?

I love it!! :D

Honestly I don't think anybody actually has the slightest clue as to why the market does what it does. Look at the financial pages! Their predictions are worse than a Magic 8 ball. But who cares; we are on a roller coaster having the time of our lives and we know how to make money when the market is down as well as when it is up. Meanwhile I sure love looking at my numbers. :D

:dance: :clap: :dance:

Of course I am taking advantage of the bull market to prepare for the next bear. I am gradually reducing my bare bones monthly expenses a little here, a little there. And, I am taking care of big irregular expenses that need to be taken care of, rather than putting them off.

This responsibility (to prepare for the next bear) doesn't dampen my enthusiasm or happiness with how my portfolio is doing these days. This is so cool!

It is nice to make almost as much in the first month, doing NOTHING, as I made in my highest income years!

Why the market is up? No idea. More buyers than sellers?

Yeah Baby!

Now making more dough sittin on my tookas that I ever did working.

Making more dough than I'm spending and I'm trying to spend more every day.

Gotta Blow More Dough - :)

I'm a 'never say never' kind of guy, but I would never use a stop loss order.

You can get taken out on a wild swing, like the flash-crash. Just make a note, and sell low if you want to violate the 'buy low, sell high' philosophy.

-ERD50
Everyone is different. I don't obsess over my stocks and ETFs on a daily basis. I prefer to buy and hold, but I'm uncomfortable with the current economic climate and think it's somewhat a house of cards. Since 2009, Corporations have been cutting expenses to the bone to make their numbers [and line their pockets] and there's not a lot of fat left to cut to keep EBIT high - certainly not on the wage side. And low wages don't bode well for consumer demand and discretionary spending - especially as interest rates start to climb.

My security blanket are open limit orders, 12.5% off my current price which keeps me in the black for this cycle. Strictly in case of emergency and not an amount likely to happen on a short swing. I am not super active with my funds and I prefer having an automated emergency backup plan, than finding out with a three hour time difference on the West Coast that the markets have gone into the toilet. I was on an 18-hour flight to Malaysia when it happened in '09 and watched the TV monitors helplessly in the KL airport as the world economy collapsed. Maybe next time I'll be on a cruise ship...

Since I'm not an insider, i'd rather be out comfortably and live to play another day. When it happens I can always get back in when I'm ready. I admit it is crude, but it's strictly for asset protection, since I don't trust Wall Street and think they will be screwing us again soon. If everything goes south and later turns out super, then I shouldn't have anything to worry about. If not, at least I'll have cash to invest in the wreckage. [That's the reason why 70% of my portfolio is in rental real estate.] We'll see how it works out... :flowers:

Edit: Looked into institutional investment levels and found this fascinating article... http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-13/institutional-investors-are-terrified-asset

Last edited:
It is nice to make almost as much in the first month, doing NOTHING, as I made in my highest income years!

Why the market is up? No idea. More buyers than sellers?

That is something and that was always my goal was to live of off my interest from investments.

There are always the same numbers of buyers as of sellers. But they now agree that the fair price for the transaction should be higher than what it was a month ago.

I've never gained enough in 1 month to equal one year of pay.

But my gain of 4.3% YTD is higher than what I plan to spend for 2017. Of course it may just evaporate before I spend it, or after I spend it for that matter. :)

If it disappears before I spend it all, then I will lose my enthusiasm, and spend less. If it disappears after I spend it, darn, I will curse, then tighten my belt next year. Either way, I will not like it, but then I am not telling you anything unexpected.

Last edited:
NW-Bound >>> I also never made more in one month then what I made in one year working but have done well so far. Since I retired just short of 10 months ago I have gained as much as I would of hoped for in 25 years. With SS and what I gained so far in 10 months I could live out my days with out ever spending any of my portfolio. I also know it could go south fast and I could be trying in the next 25 years to get to where it is at today also.

This just feels so 2007, with a hint of 1999.

I was looking at CSCO today. After hours (good reaction to earnings report) it finally exceeded its 10 year high price. Last time it was above $33 was September of 2007, and you can see a little mini run-up in the price over just a few months in the summer of 2007.

Of course this new after market high of $33.5 is still 58% below the cray $80 peak it hit in early 2000. A few months later it was knocked down to $16, and spent most of the next 15 years below $25.

Quite a poster child for the tech boom and bust. At least they are still in business.

This just feels so 2007, with a hint of 1999.
I know the feeling. It's almost a little bit eerie. Soon it may be blue light special time again. (or not). :)

At least it doesn't (yet) seem like 1928-1929. I was reading about that tonight, and apparently between May 1928 and September 1929, the average prices of stocks went up 40 percent. On May 1, 2016 the Dow was 17774. It would have to reach 24884 by September, 2017 in order to be up 40 percent.

Back
Top Bottom