Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Hi All,

I'm still holding MJ - mainly so I can talk about it at COCKTAIL parties ... the irony!

I’m looking at MJ also. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I should add that we have medical dispensaries opening up all over recently here in MD. They are in upscale locations. I think the reference to this being a commodity product are way off. A colleague that is going through a 2nd round of cancer was telling me about his experience. The product has dozens of variations depending on the medicinal requirement.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with you jazz regarding true medicinal extracts but what I see are three major market components.

Medicinal uses as you say will be a high end, targeted use market.

Retail will have two audiences. There will be some home growers that will primarily need equipment to support their hobby. Quality of their product will vary by skill and devotion to the effort. The point I was making to foxfire5 is that in the retail/homegrown market there will be more people that would simply purchase from a retail outlet. Large scale production should have economies of scale, a more consistent experience, and potential branding opportunities over small scale/individual producers.

Support services is the third segment. It includes everything from lighting and fertilizers up through industrial properties for production.

JMO
Old 02-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
The product has dozens of variations depending on the medicinal requirement.
Do they have clinicals to back this up or is it a bunch of stoners just making it up.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Do they have clinicals to back this up or is it a bunch of stoners just making it up.

Israel, not having been manipulated for political and financial gains for decades, is so far ahead of the U.S. in medical research and Cannabis it makes us look pathetic in comparison.

This is just one tiny bit of the huge amounts of information available:

https://www.israel21c.org/is-cannabi...w-wonder-drug/

I have friends and relatives with M.S. and other debilitating conditions that have been prescribed medical grade Cannabis and, they have found huge relief as well as managed to get off of other toxic prescriptions and their related negative side effects.
EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Marijuana stocks
Old 02-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Marijuana stocks

Quote:

I don’t know about clinical results but I can’t imagine it’s a bunch of stoners given the level of professional investment. State economies are factoring revenue from medicinal and tourist spending. There was fierce competition for a few grow house licenses required for the state of MD. I expect the price will leave plenty of room for the illegal market to thrive.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some, obviously it's been difficult given that cannabis currently has no medical benefits according to the feds. Other countries are blowing by the US in research!

There's many reports of incredible changes in the lives of people with disease that we have no treatments for(Parkinsons, seizures... )..My personal experience was dropping 180 opioids and 90 benzodiazepines monthly. But yeah, I'm just a stoner.

Of course there's no evidence when it was put on the level 1 schedule. Despite the fact people have used the plant for thousands of years for medicine. Recently the WHO recommended removing cannabis from schedule 1 status. Despite the fact it has no medical benefits, the FDA recently approved.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/01/healt...ion/index.html

CNN)Epidiolex, the first cannabis-based medication approved by the US Food and Drug Administration, is now available by prescription in all 50 states.
The twice-daily oral solution is approved for use in patients 2 and older to treat two types of epileptic syndromes:*Dravet syndrome, a rare genetic dysfunction of the brain that begins in the first year of life, and*Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, a form of epilepsy with multiple types of seizures that begins in early childhood, usually between ages 3 and 5.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

No clinicals in the US. The US is still a knuckle-dragger on this issue, and Federal laws effectively block research and trials. So anecdotal will have to do for now.

Anyway - my wife has been using medicinal MJ since last summer. Vape pen with a cartridge of high CBD, low THC oil. She has RA. It has totally changed her life for the better. No high, either.
Proteus126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #29

Now that Martha Stewart is involved it may have an impact on the suburban housewife market.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Now that Martha Stewart is involved it may have an impact on the suburban housewife market.
Looks like all the 2020 candidates are supporting the end of prohibition at the federal level.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Except the one running for re-election ...
Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #32

My earlier post describing this as a commodity was not intended to minimize the technology involved. Just wait until Scotts/Miracle Grow (hint they already are), Monsanto, or a behemoth like Cargill get involved. The pre IPO guys will make the big bucks while they take the buyouts.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Except the one running for re-election ...

Here's a piece giving the positions on some of the likely 2020 candidates regarding marijuana decriminalization/legalization.

From the article:
Quote:
President Donald Trump supports decriminalizing marijuana but believes legalization should be left up to the states — and reportedly made efforts to rein in Sessions' war on legal marijuana.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
My earlier post describing this as a commodity was not intended to minimize the technology involved. Just wait until Scotts/Miracle Grow (hint they already are), Monsanto, or a behemoth like Cargill get involved. The pre IPO guys will make the big bucks while they take the buyouts.
If Miracle Gro gets involved in growing or producing cannabis, the opportunities for creative branding and naming individual products will be endless.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

As much as I hate to assume, I would expect Scott’s to be involved (at least passively) in this market. In fact SMG stock is a significant holding in the MJ ETF that I plan to use as my core holding for this sector.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If Miracle Gro gets involved in growing or producing cannabis, the opportunities for creative branding and naming individual products will be endless.

Uh, you mean like this? :

https://www.leafly.com/explore/sort-...e/sort-popular

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBirdly View Post
Names are good but smells intrigue me. Someone needs to explain how they get Girl Scout Cookies, Thin Mint Cut to smell like thin mints! That's amazing. It's awesome when a tender tells you something is cheesey and it smells like cheese.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got a good amount in MO for a few reasons

1) they sell a product cheap to make with huge markup

2) they have a lot of experience working with gov't regulators - both influencing & being influenced

3) they have significant interests in Cannabis industries
Old 03-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Names are good but smells intrigue me. Someone needs to explain how they get Girl Scout Cookies, Thin Mint Cut to smell like thin mints! That's amazing. It's awesome when a tender tells you something is cheesey and it smells like cheese.

If I remember the story correctly TJ Cinnamons had the idea to pipe the aroma of baking rolls outside its locations. Not sure about the particulars of their demise but they were a big thing there for a while.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #40

This an an interesting article to consider. I’ve never built a business that could potentially be as large as these big names in the industry. Anyone have an opinion on the best strategy at this point of the market? I lean towards the Aurora/Canopy approach.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-...160000079.html