Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2016, 05:17 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From 5/21/2015 to 2/11/2016, the S&P lost 14%. That certainly counts as a correction.

Even now, it still has not recovered to the old high. They will say that the correction has ended when the market recovers the loss.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
So being 2% off of a high = 'correction' ?
The columnist is not being precise in his use of words. Whatever he needs to attract readers seems to be ok.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #123
gone traveling

Market coming up on 2 years of flat.

He explains his definition of correction early in the article. "an analysis of the 35 bull markets in a calendar maintained by Ned Davis Research. Focusing on the Dow Jones Industrial Average, I calculated the length of the longest correction within each of those bull markets (defined as the number of days it took for the market to surpass a previous high)"

I do agree he took some poetic justice in his selection of market terminology. Perhaps a better term would be a "bull market pause".

It's either a bull correction (or pause as I suggest as a better term) or the end of this bull cycle (thus a bear cycle) which would probably attract even more raised eyebrows and possibly fewer readers ...

Hope and optimism vs doom and gloom
Old 05-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Hope and optimism vs doom and gloom
Sounds like bipolar disorder.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #125
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sounds like bipolar disorder.

What? On Wall Street? Say it ain't so !!

The market goes down until it goes up -and then- it goes up until it goes down. Unless it goes sideways for a while.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

The widely accepted definition of a correction is a 10% drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
From 5/21/2015 to 2/11/2016, the S&P lost 14%. That certainly counts as a correction.

Even now, it still has not recovered to the old high. They will say that the correction has ended when the market recovers the loss.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #127
gone traveling

Quote:
The widely accepted definition of a correction is a 10% drop.

Yes.. Indeed.

And I also think if we remained 10 percent or more BELOW prior market high we would still be in a technically defined bull market correction.

Since we are still below prior highs but *less than 10 percent off of those highs *. we might be "recovering from the bull market correction".

Or we might have killed the bull in the process.

traders market ... Except that even volatility is anemic.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

The quoted article has a chart showing that in the past corrections, the market would recover to its previous high well within 12 months. And the average "recovery" time is only 5 months. That is amazingly short.

And the point the author is making is that this time the recovery is longer than average.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #129

All my stocks or stock groups went up big today and yesterday. I should go away more often.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The quoted article has a chart showing that in the past corrections, the market would recover to its previous high well within 12 months. And the average "recovery" time is only 5 months. That is amazingly short.

And the point the author is making is that this time the recovery is longer than average.
^ exactly why I wanted to share that article.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
All my stocks or stock groups went up big today and yesterday. I should go away more often.
Today, the S&P is up 0.70%, while my stocks are up 1.02%.

Yesterday, the S&P went up 1.37%, and my stocks were up 1.43%.

But when the S&P dropped, my stocks usually dropped more.

What went down more rebounds more. That's what one gets with high-beta stocks.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What went down more rebounds more. That's what one gets with high-beta stocks.
It's always sweet when the market goes your way and your choices do better then the alternate choices. Also, it's a consolation prize when your choices do less worse then the alternates on bad days.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

A weird market...Common stocks jumping and threat of a rate hike, one would think the preferreds would sag a bit. They have been jumping too. People keep climbing in searching for yield. Some of mine went up a couple bucks in past week and they were already past call and above par..Since they are income issues why wait all year for the dividends when you can snag 6 months to 2 years worth right now....Bye Bye... And buy something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
... Also, it's a consolation prize when your choices do less worse then the alternates on bad days.
I wish that were true more often. My high-beta stocks go more than the total market in both directions. But I like to play with fire. I am only 60% in stocks, but the total portfolio behaves like 100% stock.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Same here. Individual portfolio up ~5% in two days. Just hit a new all-time high.

Which makes me wonder: when exactly in May are we supposed to sell and go away
Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Right after a 5% move in two days?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Right after a 5% move in two days?
lol

or maybe it's just a myth?

https://portfoliosolutions.com/lates...d-go-away-myth
Old 05-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #138

From a net worth standpoint, I'm at an all-time high as of last night's close. However, when you take into account additional investments, I'm still probably down about 1-2% from my last peak set in May 2015.

However, if you count a "correction" as a 10% loss or more, I don't think there's been a period since that May 2015 high that I, personally, have been down 10% or more. I only keep month-end numbers in my Excel spreadsheet, so I guess it's possible that there may have been a mid-month period where I briefly had a 10+% loss?

Earlier on in the year, in January or February, I think, I might have been down about 7.5%, net worth-wise. So, factoring in additional investments up to that point, I guess I could have briefly gone over that 10% threshold.

The last time I can remember what I'd consider a serious correction was back in 2011. From July to August, I lost about 15%. And I didn't gain it all back until sometime in early 2012.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #139

So, I was looking at this thread. Based on the SPY close today @ 209, compared with the close two years ago, May 23 @ 190, plus the divs, it looks to me like total return has been around 14%, or 7% per year. Below the long term average but definitely not flat. Not bad, actually. Problem solved?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

+1 Actually a tad over 7%/year... much ado about nothing. Even if you start in mid July 2014 as the OP says he had in mind when he characterized it as flat it is about 5%/year... no great shakes but still not flat.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote