Market coming up on 2 years of flat.

papadad111

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yawn...

Approaching 2 years of the 2K grind... A few little loop-de-loops has been about it...

Nice to wring our hands and do nothing ...

Collect that 2.5% dividend.. And keep waiting.

Two years of a 1 percent annualized real return after inflation ...

Bogle so far is proving to be correct !

Yawn...
Approaching 2 years of the 2K grind... A few little loop-de-loops has been about it...

Nice to wring our hands and do nothing ...

Collect that 2.5% dividend.. And keep waiting.

Two years of a 1 percent annualized real return after inflation ...

Bogle so far is proving to be correct !

Considering I am in the final stages of adding to the portfolio, I like the flat years. I assume it is a consolidation phase, and will go up a bunch after I FIRE...:dance:

If not, and we head for a period of 20+ Japan style markets :nonono:

I am retired and I am not unhappy with the market at all. Dividends keep trickling in from time to time, and the market has not been too alarming so that is nice too.

Here is a graph of the Dow for the past 2 years obtained from Yahoo Finance. It doesn't look too terribly flat to me. But then, I guess the overall movement hasn't been too extreme.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 89
Here is a graph of the Dow for the past 2 years obtained from Yahoo Finance. It doesn't look too terribly flat to me. But then, I guess the overall movement hasn't been too extreme.

+1

Quick check of the S&P500 over the past 24 months shows a move from ~ 1880 to today's 2055. That's a 9.3% increase. Nothing to write home about, for sure, but not what I would consider "flat".

first time we hit 2k SP500 was summer (July) 2014. Here we are 22 months later and we are 58 points higher. Closing jn on 2 years of flat. (Ok for u engineers, up a couple percent over two years).

Those quarterly dividend checks do seem extra special these days !

Well, look at that chart over 2 years. The market god gave us 3 chances of making 8 to 10% each time. Whoo wee!

Market timing is tempting, and can be really lucrative. Just don't time it wrong! :)

It doesn't look too terribly flat to me.

Look at it over the last 5 years or so and the flatness will pop right out at you :eek:

Attachments

• S&P500_5yr.GIF
    S&P500_5yr.GIF
    20.9 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Does anyone have a chart for the next 5 years?

It doesn't look too terribly flat to me. But then, I guess the overall movement hasn't been too extreme.
Look at it over the last 5 years or so and the flatness will pop right out at you :eek:

To me that looks pretty bumpy in the past two years! :2funny: I guess it's all in how we look at it. I suppose the bumpiness could be a lot worse. And yes, I agree that like I said, the *overall* movement hasn't been too extreme in the past two years.

I assume it is a consolidation phase, and will go up a bunch after I FIRE...:dance:
Please let this be true.

Everyone in the forum, repeat after me, "This is a consolidation phase, and will start going up a bunch very soon". :D

I'd have to look at my records to be sure, but from two years ago to now, I might be up about 4-5%, total. It certainly wasn't flat along the way, as there have been some peaks and dips, some markets did well while others dropped, etc. I know I made about 5.6% in 2014, maybe 1.6% in 2015, and the last time I checked was up maybe 1.5% this year. However, most of my gains in 2014 came early on in the year. I think I topped out in July of that year, and finished the year a bit below that level.

Yo yo?

Yo yos are good for you. Embrace yo yos. Yo yos cause greed, then fear, then greed, then fear...

So, you go: sell, then buy, then sell, then buy...

Be careful you are not out-of-sync and go: buy, then sell, then buy, then sell...

I refrain from buying after the s&p500 reached 2000. I did sell cash covered puts last week. I might as well profit from the market going sideways. I won't have time to trade. I will be traveling. No access or sporadic access to the Internet is not good for trading. I babysit my trades.

Last edited:

The same chart in Euros (my currency) went up, up.

and then down ..

I have only been active in my company 401k for the last 20 months, I'm up ~2.6% today, have been up as much as 12% and down about the same. I had the fantastic luck of one huge purchase happening on the lowest day the S&P 500 has had in those 20 months. Not trying to time the market, it's just the day the corporate bonus paid.

Here is my decades chart updated through yesterday's close. Shows some flatness over the recent year (dark blue line).

M* puts the SP500 performance at -0.6% for the last year, but +9.9% for 3 years.

5kewd4.jpg

I swear, I'll take my 401K money from my employer when I leave in a few months and put it in an IRA investing in high dividend income funds. Capital appreciation has been flat for a while and I'll take the dividends anytime.

To me that looks pretty bumpy in the past two years! :2funny: I guess it's all in how we look at it. I suppose the bumpiness could be a lot worse. And yes, I agree that like I said, the *overall* movement hasn't been too extreme in the past two years.
As long as the lid is firmly on that Whee! jar we are all good...

So, you think you can keep the Wheenie, er, the Genie inside the bottle?

Our net worth hit a peak exactly a year ago. So for us, it seems like it's only been flat (to down) for a year, not two.

Our net worth hit a peak exactly a year ago. So for us, it seems like it's only been flat (to down) for a year, not two.

Yup.

And if you own any meaningful amount of international equities in your portfolio that flatness over the past year looks a bit more like down-ness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom