Join Early Retirement Today

Market coming up on 2 years of flat.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
gone traveling

Market coming up on 2 years of flat.

Yawn...

Approaching 2 years of the 2K grind... A few little loop-de-loops has been about it...

Nice to wring our hands and do nothing ...

Collect that 2.5% dividend.. And keep waiting.

Two years of a 1 percent annualized real return after inflation ...

Bogle so far is proving to be correct !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Yawn...
Approaching 2 years of the 2K grind... A few little loop-de-loops has been about it...

Nice to wring our hands and do nothing ...

Collect that 2.5% dividend.. And keep waiting.

Two years of a 1 percent annualized real return after inflation ...

Bogle so far is proving to be correct !
Considering I am in the final stages of adding to the portfolio, I like the flat years. I assume it is a consolidation phase, and will go up a bunch after I FIRE...

If not, and we head for a period of 20+ Japan style markets

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Administrator

I am retired and I am not unhappy with the market at all. Dividends keep trickling in from time to time, and the market has not been too alarming so that is nice too.

Here is a graph of the Dow for the past 2 years obtained from Yahoo Finance. It doesn't look too terribly flat to me. But then, I guess the overall movement hasn't been too extreme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (22.9 KB, 89 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Here is a graph of the Dow for the past 2 years obtained from Yahoo Finance. It doesn't look too terribly flat to me. But then, I guess the overall movement hasn't been too extreme.
+1

Quick check of the S&P500 over the past 24 months shows a move from ~ 1880 to today's 2055. That's a 9.3% increase. Nothing to write home about, for sure, but not what I would consider "flat".
Old 05-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
gone traveling

first time we hit 2k SP500 was summer (July) 2014. Here we are 22 months later and we are 58 points higher. Closing jn on 2 years of flat. (Ok for u engineers, up a couple percent over two years).

Those quarterly dividend checks do seem extra special these days !
Old 05-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, look at that chart over 2 years. The market god gave us 3 chances of making 8 to 10% each time. Whoo wee!

Market timing is tempting, and can be really lucrative. Just don't time it wrong!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
It doesn't look too terribly flat to me.
Look at it over the last 5 years or so and the flatness will pop right out at you
Attached Images
File Type: gif S&P500_5yr.GIF (20.9 KB, 562 views)
Old 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone have a chart for the next 5 years?
Old 05-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
It doesn't look too terribly flat to me. But then, I guess the overall movement hasn't been too extreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Look at it over the last 5 years or so and the flatness will pop right out at you
To me that looks pretty bumpy in the past two years! I guess it's all in how we look at it. I suppose the bumpiness could be a lot worse. And yes, I agree that like I said, the *overall* movement hasn't been too extreme in the past two years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I assume it is a consolidation phase, and will go up a bunch after I FIRE...
Please let this be true.

Everyone in the forum, repeat after me, "This is a consolidation phase, and will start going up a bunch very soon".
Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #11

I'd have to look at my records to be sure, but from two years ago to now, I might be up about 4-5%, total. It certainly wasn't flat along the way, as there have been some peaks and dips, some markets did well while others dropped, etc. I know I made about 5.6% in 2014, maybe 1.6% in 2015, and the last time I checked was up maybe 1.5% this year. However, most of my gains in 2014 came early on in the year. I think I topped out in July of that year, and finished the year a bit below that level.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #12

Frankly, it's too much of a yoyo for my comfort level.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yo yo?

Yo yos are good for you. Embrace yo yos. Yo yos cause greed, then fear, then greed, then fear...

So, you go: sell, then buy, then sell, then buy...

Be careful you are not out-of-sync and go: buy, then sell, then buy, then sell...
Old 05-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #14

I refrain from buying after the s&p500 reached 2000. I did sell cash covered puts last week. I might as well profit from the market going sideways. I won't have time to trade. I will be traveling. No access or sporadic access to the Internet is not good for trading. I babysit my trades.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Does anyone have a chart for the next 5 years?
Sure. You can have it in 2021.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #16

Quote:
The same chart in Euros (my currency) went up, up.

and then down ..
Old 05-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

I have only been active in my company 401k for the last 20 months, I'm up ~2.6% today, have been up as much as 12% and down about the same. I had the fantastic luck of one huge purchase happening on the lowest day the S&P 500 has had in those 20 months. Not trying to time the market, it's just the day the corporate bonus paid.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Here is my decades chart updated through yesterday's close. Shows some flatness over the recent year (dark blue line).

M* puts the SP500 performance at -0.6% for the last year, but +9.9% for 3 years.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #19

Even if the indices are flat, if the market has a 2% dividend yield it's beaten the pants out of being in cash.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I swear, I'll take my 401K money from my employer when I leave in a few months and put it in an IRA investing in high dividend income funds. Capital appreciation has been flat for a while and I'll take the dividends anytime.