Join Early Retirement Today

Moody's downgrades banks
Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Moody's downgrades banks

Quote from the link from Bloomberg.com below:

"The downgrades leave Citigroup Inc. (C) and Charlotte, North Carolina-based Bank of America Corp. (BAC) as the lowest-rated banks among the 15 at Baa2, two levels above junk."

Credit Suisse Cut 3 Levels as Moody

This is scary stuff. BAC and C two levels above junk? Have we become too accustomed to the shock and awe of this economy? Where's my tin foil hat?

Someone please talk me down off the ledge....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This was not a surprise and had already been discounted by the market. The fact that Morgan Stanley was cut only two notches rather than three was greeted positively in after-hours trading.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a "dirty market timer", even though I confessed to a gut feeling to "get out" on Halloween 2007 when it felt like stocks were optimistically priced relative to what it looked like lay ahead. I confess I'm starting to get that feeling again. it feels like the economy is slowing down again and the banks are facing trouble again... deja vu all over again? Not to mention Europe, especially Greece. Still, I don't see anything nearly as bad as what happened in 2008-09.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
This was not a surprise and had already been discounted by the market. The fact that Morgan Stanley was cut only two notches rather than three was greeted positively in after-hours trading.
I agree with you and have followed these bank stocks. Still kind of a shock to see this report.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how much this will affect interest rates (if any)?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Funny thing is that the banks are in better shape today than they were a year or two ago, so why the downgrade? Seems to me that Moody's is just recalibrating their ratings and has probably overcook the recalibration.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
gone traveling

The thing that is upsetting is that this info seemed to leak out before the market closed. If I didn't know better, these things almost seem like carefully choreographed events designed to exact $s from our pockets while padding others. Also, curious that Goldman advises its clients to short the S&P 500 that afternoon as well. Then we have gentle ben and the fiscal cliff to worry about, let alone europe. Not sure this is quite 2008 again, but feels like last August.

Lets hope for a better jobs report at the end of the month
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The thing that is upsetting is that this info seemed to leak out before the market closed. ....
I don't understand. It has been widely reported that Moody's was reevaluating ratings on the big banks and was likely to downgrade them. Was in the WSJ a few weeks ago.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't understand. It has been widely reported that Moody's was reevaluating ratings on the big banks and was likely to downgrade them. Was in the WSJ a few weeks ago.
I didn't realize that, thanks for pointing that out. Makes me feel a little better I think.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I am sure brewer will be along shortly to see his $79.99 tinfoil hat specials..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Funny thing is that the banks are in better shape today than they were a year or two ago, so why the downgrade? Seems to me that Moody's is just recalibrating their ratings and has probably overcook the recalibration.
Or maybe all the "ratings agencies" are now overcompensating since they were all asleep at the wheel up to 2008 or so. Trying to restore their peerless credibility, good luck with that...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Or maybe all the "ratings agencies" are now overcompensating since they were all asleep at the wheel up to 2008 or so. Trying to restore their peerless credibility, good luck with that...
That is sort of what I was trying to say but I was being less direct about it
Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #13

All this ratings stuff shows us is that ratings are only really valid in periods of stability. Say just one bank, BAC or JPM, had been downgraded in 2004; that would have been cause to suspect that there were specific problems. When everyone's in much the same boat, I don't think that the ratings tells us much (and that's without the small matter of these same agencies having rated CDOs as AAA).

The problem is, the inflexible "minimum quality" rules by which fund managers have to work (by law, in many cases, if they're investing public money or pensions) were made in normal times. So a whole bunch of banks just saw their debt move several steps closer to a precipice which might not be real, but will be self-fulfilling when they get there.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
So a whole bunch of banks just saw their debt move several steps closer to a precipice which might not be real, but will be self-fulfilling when they get there.
What do you mean by "self-fulfilling"?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:
I agree that they are in more sound fiscal shape now vs back then (both balance sheet wise, and in terms of fewer unknowns about the future). I wonder if it's a more deliberately timed delay vs an accidental one? Imagine if, as the carnage was happening in 2009, Citibank and BofA were suddenly taken down to BBB - that would surely have set off an even greater net of uncertainty and disaster.

Although, perhaps the ratings agencies used as a reasoning for the higher ratings in 2009/2010 that the Feds were doing anything and everything in their power to prevent disaster (an implicit political "guarantee", if you will), which helped prop up their ratings back then? Kind of like how, in the heydays of the 90s/early 2000s, the municipal bond insurance companies helped create AAA-rated issues out of B+/A- issuers?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
......Although, perhaps the ratings agencies used as a reasoning for the higher ratings in 2009/2010 that the Feds were doing anything and everything in their power to prevent disaster (an implicit political "guarantee", if you will), which helped prop up their ratings back then? Kind of like how, in the heydays of the 90s/early 2000s, the municipal bond insurance companies helped create AAA-rated issues out of B+/A- issuers?
Probably not. Since the feds let Lehman die, they could well have let any of the other big banks dies as well (and probably would have).
Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
gone traveling

Big Bank contagion spills over to munis thanks to Moody's

It will be interesting to see the affect today, if any.

PressTV - Moody's downgrades $64bn of US muni debt