Join Early Retirement Today

multi-stock quote site
Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

multi-stock quote site

I've been unable to find a simple web site that can remember from day-to-day a list of, say, 20 stocks I specify, and show me the current price of all. I don't want to use a brokerage site since those typically require a secure login, and if left open in a browser such access becomes a security concern. I don't mind a quick login so the site can pull up my stock list. Do any such sites exist?
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Administrator

You can create a MyYahoo page that will track portfolios for you. You can customize the information, see a news flow for all the securities, get intraday prices with volume and such, and closing prices.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Google finance: Google Finance: Stock market quotes, news, currency conversions & more
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yahoo, Google, and Market Watch all do it pretty well. You can even build your own ticker tape with the stocks you want that scrolls on your tool bar.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Use Excel
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Use Excel

If you are somewhat versed in working with Microsoft Excel, this can be done in a decent way.

I am using a home version of Microsoft Office 2010. Not sure if there are more recent versions, or if there was a similar function in older versions.

Open a new workbook.
Select a cell where the upper LH corner of the data will appear.
Go to the 'Data' tab, select 'Existing Connections'.
Select 'MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes', and click 'Open'.
It should show the cell you have selected, click 'OK'.
Enter the string of ticker symbols that you want to look up. For Example 'VZ, CAT, MO, F'
Check the box 'Use this value/reference for future refreshes', then 'OK'
It will put in a table with a line for each of the stocks, and quote data.
Off to the side, I put a string of cells that point to the 'Last' quote in the table. Basically, the cell will say something like '=L13' At the top of this list, I put '=TODAY()'.
When you refresh the data 'Refresh All' up in the menu bar', all of the quotes should update.
Next, I select the column of data, starting with the date down to the last quote. 'Copy'
Go to a separate sheet where you want to archive your data. Select the cell to the right of the last date when you grabbed quotes, and 'Paste Special, Values'. This will paste the date plus all of the quotes.
If you are very conversant in Excel, you can write a macro to do the refresh, cut and paste with one button stroke. But this is not too cumbersome.
One page with the data you are tracking, another sheet for the lookup function. Or you could put it all on one sheet. I prefer to have my history on the first sheet, and the look up function on the second.
If this is all babble, sorry about that.
ER Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #6

Fireball - thanks, that is cool, I don't use Excel much and didn't realize that was possible. Don't care for the formatting/colors MSN uses by default, so I'll study how to tweak that.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have a Mac? If so, there is a dashboard stock quote widget that is quite impressive. Just press the F4 button on your mac and you got your quotes in your face.

Press F4 again and the dashboard goes away. Put other things in the dashboard such as a weather app, a calendar, a clock, etc.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Do any such sites exist?
As mentioned by sailor, whatever question you're asking the answer is "Google".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you use Google Docs, you create a new spreadsheet and call price of any stock (and much more!) using formula like this for Apple: =GOOGLEFINANCE("AAPL", "price")

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity has a Mac widget too

Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - Fidelity Market Monitor Widget
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #11

The Bloomberg app works for me and is pretty painless.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

freestockcharts.com
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote