Join Early Retirement Today

Mutual funds VS ETFs
Old 09-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Mutual funds VS ETFs

From your experiences what are the subtle advantages and disadvantages of each?
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All explained right here -> ETFs vs mutual funds - Bogleheads

The main issue that I see is that many folks have severe anxiety issues in setting limit prices for their ETF transactions. With mutual funds, one is guaranteed a fair price on every order. Not so with ETFs unless one thinks a little bit.

Or more subtly, one cannot take advantage of the person on the other side of a trade with a mutual fund, but sometimes one can take advantage of the person on the other side of a trade with an ETF. That's why I like ETFs an awful lot, though I think both have a place in one's portfolio.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

See also: Wild Trading Exposed Flaws in ETFs - WSJ
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like ETF and mututal funds....use both. I'm an index person, like the low cost of ETF funds, their flexibility and greater availability. Now I buy a little stock each month, buy a little extra when the market dips a couple of percent and ONLY buy what I don't intend on selling for years to come UNLESS the market changes in a way unknown to anyone today.

So.....lately I set up an ETF buy, price it 2.% below current price, leave the option open for a week or two and if I get it , fine, it not no loss. If I did the same with a mutual fund I would get market closing price, not my price. I think I've made significant money the past couple of months doing this. It is work, however, I enjoy it and do it.

On the other hand, when the market is dropping you could take a significant loss by selling at market. you HAVE to put in a minimum price so that doesn't happen to you. If you don't want to do this, don't use ETF funds.

Oh yes, I like Schawb and Vanguard high yielding dividend ETF funds. I'm earning over 2.5% tax advantaged money and they are much better than CD rates. EFT dividend funds offer many good choices......I'm buying them on every dip!
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
So.....lately I set up an ETF buy, price it 2.% below current price, leave the option[buy limit order] open for a week or two and if I get it , fine, it not no loss.
[…]
Oh yes, I like Schawb and Vanguard high yielding dividend ETF funds. I'm earning over 2.5% tax advantaged money and they are much better than CD rates. EFT dividend funds offer many good choices......I'm buying them on every dip!
If you have a limit order in place, do you not have to have the cash available to buy those shares in your brokerage account or somewhere? That money is not earning over 2.5% tax-advantaged money -- unless you have some spectacular cash sweep account available. Or maybe you are doing something else?
Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
If you have a limit order in place, do you not have to have the cash available to buy those shares in your brokerage account or somewhere? That money is not earning over 2.5% tax-advantaged money -- unless you have some spectacular cash sweep account available. Or maybe you are doing something else?
Yup......I have money in a short term bond fund......I pay for my EFT buys the same way I do mutual fund buys. I'm looking for investment growth along with dividends ........so, over the long term my return should be much higher than just the tax enhanced dividends.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
If you have a limit order in place, do you not have to have the cash available to buy those shares in your brokerage account or somewhere? That money is not earning over 2.5% tax-advantaged money -- unless you have some spectacular cash sweep account available.
The 2% price advantage on the buy is 2% absolute. Supposing it takes a week to fill, that's a 2% in a week.

The 2.5% you mention earning on cash is an annual rate. That is 2.5% per year.

I can afford to keep money earning nothing at all if it's going to get me a 2% per week benefit.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
So.....lately I set up an ETF buy, price it 2.% below current price, leave the option open for a week or two and if I get it , fine, it not no loss. If I did the same with a mutual fund I would get market closing price, not my price. I think I've made significant money the past couple of months doing this. It is work, however, I enjoy it and do it.
That's actually a pretty good strategy. I've recently switched my 457 to ETFs so all new payroll contributions go into a sweep account anyway (plan administrators eliminated index fund only options in the core plan so ER went up by around 0.5% on average). So far, I've just done market orders every couple months or so but I think setting a limit order at 1-2% below market is a better way to go. If I can boost returns a wee bit with some minor dirty market timing, why not?
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
The 2% price advantage on the buy is 2% absolute. Supposing it takes a week to fill, that's a 2% in a week.

The 2.5% you mention earning on cash is an annual rate. That is 2.5% per year.

I can afford to keep money earning nothing at all if it's going to get me a 2% per week benefit.
Right! What's not to like about a 2% every week for 104% a year!

Of course, money earning nothing is not going to get you a 2% per week benefit.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Right! What's not to like about a 2% every week for 104% a year!

Of course, money earning nothing is not going to get you a 2% per week benefit.
Not quite 104% a year unless you do "week trading" on your entire portfolio.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:27 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

etf bond funds can be a very volatile compared to the under lying assets unlike etf stock funds .

etf bond funds can be a lot more volatile because you can short them , have stop losses and they trade at times at pretty big premiums and discounts .

the fidelity total bond fund ftbfx is identical to the etf version fbnd .

but the ups and downs of the etf can run 2x the regular fund .

the other day the etf was down .75 while the fund was only down .38%

quite frequently you will see wide spreads between the etf bond fund and the open ended version if available .

for fun watch the two fidelity total bond funds daily or watch fcor vs fidelity corporate bond fund , also the same exact fund .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I agree that bond ETFs may have liquidity issues as noted by folks like Rick Ferri and others. I see the main issue is that when one wants to rebalance from bonds to equities on a day that equities have reallly tanked, then it is possible that one will not get a fair price (close to the NAV) for the bond ETF, but one would get a fair price for the bond mutual fund since its NAV is determined after the market close.

The Fidelity bond ETF FBND is -- in my opinion -- not an ETF to ever consider owning since the average daily volume is ridiculously low to begin with. FBND looks to be more an experiment for Fidelity and not a serious effort.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

even bnd vs the vanguard open ended total bond fund has decent spreads at times .

yesterday saw a .09 return on vbtlx vs only .02 on bnd . at times the spread has been even greater percentage wise .

buying a bond etf at a premium and selling at a discount can widen things as well as the spreads .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote