Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe
Revisiting this this thread with some thoughts after 10 months. In that time, MVIS popped into the $3s, and has recently come back down into the $2.40s. 1-year returns have been 26.9%, although that's mostly due to the SONY announcements early last year.

They've got a deal in place with SONY and Sharp is releasing a product in Japan w/ their tech (not sure how well it will sell), and a number of products incorporating their technology are starting to come out. They also had an arrangement with Pioneer a few years ago, first glance at a video from CES that I saw, it looks like Pioneer is bringing back their laser scanning tech in a HUD, now that green lasers are more widely available. The Lenovo Smart Cast projector phone concept from last year also might be using their technology. I read on a review site, I believe, that they're targeting June 2016 for release, but who knows.

Sony has restructured, and they're spinning off a different company, Sony Semiconductor (IIRC, that becomes formal on April 1), which focuses on the successful image sensor portion of their business as well as pico projection. Sumitomo (partnered w/ Sony) has created a tiny package that contains RGB laser diodes. And, STMicro is in the standalone pico projector that Sony is currently selling.

Last year, Sony put in a $14.5 million order in March. Sony's fiscal year goes from April-March. It's obviously still high-risk, and I know that risk is a dirty word for many people. There's a large number of shares shorted, which makes me wonder what they know that I don't. I suspect that it's based solely on historical performance. Institutional ownership is nice. My timeline/target may be off, but I'm still bullish on the prospects in the next few months, and over the next few years.

Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!