Join Early Retirement Today

My Individual Stock Picks
Old 07-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My Individual Stock Picks

Hello,

I used to have over 20 picks but have far less now due to taking profits and home improvement expenses this past year. Attached are my 7 individual stock holdings (2 are ETF's). Any reason that you think I should not be holding on to any of these companies? Thanks!

-Raymond
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Stock Picks.JPG (3.5 KB, 102 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Electronic Arts
Old 07-07-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Electronic Arts

Read about Electronic Arts here:

Electronic Arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See the criticism section.

PE 40

I'm not sure I would make this part of a retirement portfolio that is not highly diversified.

I AM NOT A FINANCIAL PROFESSIONAL!!!
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT!!!

(Fair warning.)

Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I found this on Goodyear:

Avoid Investing in These Cash-Gobbling Turkeys (General Motors, Northwest Airlines, Goodyear Tire, Nortel Networks) at SmartMoney.com

What do you think?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Oooops?

Automakers brace for more hard times to come - BloggingStocks

Toyota makes fantastic cars. I buy them and love them.

I'm sure they will weather this financial meltdown better than the "Big Three".

I'm not sure I would invest in the automobile industry just now.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Why wouldn't you invest like this:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/mutualfund/03/043003.asp

I have been reading Scott Burns for years.

I am out of the market now but if I go back in I think this is the way I will do it.

Is it time to get back in?

Who knows.

I don't think we have seen the bottom yet.

This is why:

1. Too much uncertainty in the Presidential election and how it will affect the economy. Obama - "Democrats are bad for business?"; McCain - "100 more years of war?". Uncertainty, uncertainty, uncertainty.

2. What if Ron Paul and a lot of other people are right on the currency issue? What the "The Fed" continues to bail out Wall Street at the expense of Main Street. What if our currency really is worthless and the rest of the world starts to behave accordingly? I think that explains some of what we are seeing.

3. GM is going bankrupt. Why? Lots of reasons including me buying Toyota cars. The main reason is that GM's pension and healthcare obligations to several decades of retirees are "money in the bank" to inside players in the bankruptcy process. The post-bankruptcy GM will have a completely different cash flow picture. Unfortunately, so will the retirees. GM is big news but the "bankruptcy" ploy is going on all over the nation with any company that has substantial retirement obligations. These poor souls will be selling any stock that they own and not buying any more. On the plus side, the dealmakers will have to do something with their profits - maybe they will put some of it back into the stock market!

4. We will soon start to see local governments going bankrupt. Think about a small municipality that uses mostly real estate taxes to generate income. Their police, fire, and city workers have been gleefully retiring in their 40's after 20 years of service for decades. When these towns start to see red ink they always scream Well have to cut back on fire and police!!!! Well have to close all the schools!!!! We must raise taxes!!! You never hear We have to abandon the retire-in-your-40s-after-twenty-years-of-service benefit for city employees!!! Raise taxes on top of $5 gas, $200,000 negative equity in your house, and one spouse out of work? Well see.

5. I have a generally negative attitude.

When I do start to get back in I will be "couch potato"-ing it with one of the newer 5 or more fund formula's using Vanguard ETF's. - but remember, I have no idea what I am talking about.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

one more thing ....

Someone is going to bomb Iran ....

Whatever happened to all of those missing Soviet nukes?

"I have a bad feeling about this." - Indiana Jones

Will someone please buy the world a Coke before it's too late??
Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal3 View Post
Why wouldn't you invest like this:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/mutualfund/03/043003.asp

I have been reading Scott Burns for years.

I am out of the market now but if I go back in I think this is the way I will do it.
The 10 year return on the Couch Potato Portfolio is 4.48 percent per year right now. Which is why Scott Burns is always changing his investment recommendation allocations. The "sophisticated" Couch Potato Portfolio has fared even more poorly at 4.01 percent per year, over tha last 10 years.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
The 10 year return on the Couch Potato Portfolio is 4.48 percent per year right now. Which is why Scott Burns is always changing his investment recommendation allocations. The "sophisticated" Couch Potato Portfolio has fared even more poorly at 4.01 percent per year, over tha last 10 years.
I think this says very little about Scott Burns, but a lot about the concept of set it and forget it index investing.

Ha
Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #9

Yeah, Scott Burns' portfolios have done just fine when he's gone back after the fact and "altered" them. He has gone from his couch potato formula of do it yourself, to now working directly (or is it indirectly?) with an investment firm. That ought'a tell ya' something.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Yeah, Scott Burns' portfolios have done just fine when he's gone back after the fact and "altered" them. He has gone from his couch potato formula of do it yourself, to now working directly (or is it indirectly?) with an investment firm. That ought'a tell ya' something.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm open to better ideas!

Just checking though ... do/did any of you make a living as a financial adviser/broker/etc?

Hal
Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm open to better ideas!

Just checking though ... do/did any of you make a living as a financial adviser/broker/etc?

Hal
Art G and I do...........

Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

What do you think about Popowich's picks?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #14

Quote:
That ought'a tell ya' something.
Something made him get up off the couch! funny...

popowich, unless you have other holdings like some kind of mutual/bond funds in a 401k or something, this seems like too few stocks to be well-diversified (it depends on weighting of SPY, too). outside of SPY you have energy, cars 'n' tires, and tech. There are a lot of other sectors out there AND you have close to no int'l. and no bonds at all. Unless you have some inside-track knowledge I would say relying on only 4 US stocks plus Toyota outside of your S&P and energy indexes is kinda risky (I have no particular opinion on any single element).

I would read up some on asset allocation; many here recommend "The Intelligent Asset Allocator""
The Intelligent Asset Allocator
Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

MELI...A great buy soon?

Great call Art!!

Maybe Pop should just follow your advice.

Hal
Old 07-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
Hello,

I used to have over 20 picks but have far less now due to taking profits and home improvement expenses this past year. Attached are my 7 individual stock holdings (2 are ETF's). Any reason that you think I should not be holding on to any of these companies? Thanks!

-Raymond
You must like roller-coasters............

Old 07-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Great call Art!!

Maybe Pop should just follow your advice.

Hal

LOL! And then you wonder why I didn't respond to your post asking for my advice. So, I'm guessing you looked over all my picks, noticed that most of them worked quite well, then took the one that was down this morning (no long term investment strategy for you), and picked out my stock that had a maximum loss of $3 and change, in an attempt to take a shot at me.
Did you even bother to note the money I made quite a bit on it the first time or in your rush to point out my mistake, that was too heavy of reading?
BTW, isn't this your moniker?
I AM NOT A FINANCIAL PROFESSIONAL!!!
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT!!!

You're not allowed to ask me any more questions. I find you unworthy.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a nice guy.

I did not do what you described.

I just looked at the original buy rec and the first sell rec.

Lot's of people recommend buys but never tell you when to sell.

You did.

Nice profit, short investment.

It was a genuine compliment.

I did not spend all afternoon researching your performance in order to spear you.

I did not read any further in the thread so I am unaware af anything after the first sel rec.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Linear - Oldest First

Thread Display ModeHere you can choose the display mode for threads. For a full explanation of the modes, please view this help page. Linear - Oldest First Linear - Newest First Threaded Hybrid Thread Display Mode:

Linear - Oldest First

I will change this to newest first. I suppose that is how you view the threads?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #20

Well then forgive me for jumping to conclusion.
I guess I'm jumpy from another thread.