Join Early Retirement Today

Name an arcane industry
Old 02-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Name an arcane industry

I Googled for "is an arcane industry" to see if I can learn something about an industry that few others would pay attention to that would give me an advantage. From the search result page I'm seeing things like arms trade, insurance, real estate, and coal. Not what I had in mind. Could someone name an actual arcane industry?

I just tried "arcane discipline" and I'm getting stuff on magic.

And I tried "no scientific journal on" and found geocryology and graphene. I'm just fishing. Maybe something will sound like a good area to explore for investment opportunities.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Selling expensive scientific or medical equipment such as a MRI machines, X-ray machines, or gas centrifuges, or ....

I will say that many of these things don't make any money for shareholders who are really just taken advantage of. I just read a bankruptcy report on a company that separated water from oil via microwave technology. It was a penny stock company, but the CEO and CFO paid themselves quite well from the venture capital that they got.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

The need for energy storage inspires many arcane inventions. Perpetual motion is another.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

A nearby company makes the slide mechanisms that let you insert a center leaf or two in a dining or kitchen table. The company has been in business since 1889.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Man, you are just bouncing off the walls with these investment ideas!

Throw enough stuff against the wall, and maybe something will stick? Sure, something must click, but by then you are watered down by all the other ones that didn't work.

That 'brilliant' hedge fund manager is losing his bet to Warren Buffet, who just stuck his money in the S&P 500. But you are going to do better with some arcane google searches? Wake up and smell the coffee.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think the time has passed for a ground floor investment in Pac-Man.

Oh, I thought you said 'arcade' industry.

-ERD50
Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

A guy I knew liked to put his money in penny stocks. His particular interest was in mom-and-pop gold miners, and it looked like there were a lot of them in Canada. Even if they found any gold, who would be there to see that they did not put it all in their pocket? I don't know how transparent these companies are in their book keeping, but that did not deter this guy. Well, he was still trying when I last saw him 5 years ago.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Why don't you just use the stock screens that a brokerage like Fidelity provides? There is awesome data mining that you can do there.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That 'brilliant' hedge fund manager is losing his bet to Warren Buffet, who just stuck his money in the S&P 500.
I just bought more ONEQ (tracks NASDAQ) yesterday and I still haven't bought a single stock. I just rejected one today because a magazine somewhat related to the business dropped in circulation in the last reported cycle. I made this note of my research:

Quote:
CTAS - more socially responsible than average - sells sports uniforms & does maintenance

http://sportseventsmagazine.com/asse...y_2016_BPA.pdf

AVERAGE ANNUAL AUDITED QUALIFIED CIRCULATION AND CURRENT UNAUDITED CIRCULATION STATEMENTS

July - December 2013: 16,615
January - June 2014: 16,641
July - December 2014: 16,640
January - June 2015: 16,648
July - December 2015: 16,639
January - June 2016: 16,443
I'm bouncing things off the walls in my research only and I invest very carefully.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
.... I just rejected one today because a magazine somewhat related to the business dropped in circulation in the last reported cycle. ...
And anyone else following the industry knows this too, and has already acted on it. It's not like everyone needs to know it, just enough traders buying/selling on that info to affect the price. For example, TSLA has bounced around a lot lately on all sorts of news/views. Now, If I owned the stock, but didn't read the news for the past month, and didn't buy/sell, the stock still jumps around. It's not enough to just be more informed than the average investor, you need to be more informed (and right) than the traders.

It's naive to think you can out think other traders, and predict the future (much of what they think won't actually happen).

In the mean time, SPY has more than doubled since my last purchase, and I haven't done bit of research on it.

-ERD50
Old 02-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A guy I knew liked to put his money in penny stocks. His particular interest was in mom-and-pop gold miners, and it looked like there were a lot of them in Canada.
Downtown: Defunct VSE had colourful history

Quote:
By 1969, the VSE broke the $1 billion trading barrier. The RCMP estimated in 1973 that 20 to 30 per cent of stock, mostly mines and junior industrials, were manipulated. A Brown Farris and Jefferson report in 1978 found the odds of losing were five times out of six.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

This guy I described always dreamed that one of these days, his beloved gold miners would hit a motherlode. I asked him what would be the chance his miner skipped town with that gold, and he could not answer.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Pssht. Who needs industry? Back in the latter part of 1999 we bought gold coins so we could pay off anyone that really needed bribing. Paid $425/oz. Gold dealer now pays $1257/oz. Think it got to about $1800/oz earlier, but $1257 now. That is what? About 11%/year?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've got a few gold coins as keepsake. I also paid a bit above $400, but it was in 1992 or 1993.

From $400 to $1257 over 24 years, that's a measly 4.9% per year. And inflation has not been accounted for.

PS. Cumulative inflation over the last 24 years is 75%, so that the $1257 is only $1257 / 1.75 = $718. The return is 2.5% / year. Hoorah!

Old 02-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Haberdashery
moneyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Check printing.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #17

Millinery
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyviking View Post
Haberdashery
That's how Truman lost his shirt.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #19

Speaking of arcades, the video game industry is arcane in that for every title hit there are dozens if not hundreds of misses. Pick the game company that will produce a few more hit titles than other companies, and you'll be raking in the bucks.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Check kiting?