Join Early Retirement Today

NASA FCU CDs
Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NASA FCU CDs

NASA FCU has a CD special. They have a back door for membership. The 49 mo rate is 2.30.
I know it's not as good as NFCU but it's easier to qualify for membership and beats most 60 mo CDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

Not bad. Keep those recommendations coming! I have a lot of CD's maturing this year at my credit union, and their rates aren't great (1.83% for 5 year) so I will be looking for new cd opportunities. I already have a Vanguard account, so I will be checking out Vanguard Fixed Rate investments today.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I just signed up for a 5 year cd with Fido. 2.3% interest. You also have the option of taking 10% a year without a penalty if you need it or want it. No stipulations on this one.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
I just signed up for a 5 year cd with Fido. 2.3% interest. You also have the option of taking 10% a year without a penalty if you need it or want it. No stipulations on this one.

I don't see this on the Fido CD tab. Is it a brokered CD? Who is the issuer or is there some other way to identify this offer?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like the FIDO deal is a brokered CD. See https://www.fidelity.com/fixed-income-bonds/cds.

I am in the process of opening/funding the NASA 2.3% 49 mos CD. The interesting thing is that you can withdraw funds and only pay a 6 mos penalty on the amount you withdrew. So, you do not need to split a large CD amount into smaller chunks in case you want to get at a subset of the money like you do with most CDs. And you do not need to be associated in any way with NASA to open an account.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I don't see this on the Fido CD tab. Is it a brokered CD? Who is the issuer or is there some other way to identify this offer?
It is called SPDA. I was in Fido's office on Friday looking for a "safe" place to put some of the funds in my IRA. This is what he told me about. I think he said they have to do it you can't. So guess that would mean it was brokered. Hope that helps. Interest rate paid is going down this week he said.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #7

...as a bonus the NASA FCU cards have cool space pictures on them.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Quote:
It is called SPDA. I was in Fido's office on Friday looking for a "safe" place to put some of the funds in my IRA. This is what he told me about. I think he said they have to do it you can't. So guess that would mean it was brokered. Hope that helps. Interest rate paid is going down this week he said.
An SPDA is an annuity not a CD. One is FDIC insured, the other may be backed by your state guaranty association (SGA). Fidelity's "CD-type" annuities can be found here: Guaranteed Rates for Tax-Deferred Fixed Annuities (SPDAs) Available Through Fidelity

You can get a 3.10% 5 yr annuity outside Fidelity. MYGA Rates
The "CD-type" annuity rates on that page do usually get updated around the first of each month.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
An SPDA is an annuity not a CD. One is FDIC insured, the other may be backed by your state guaranty association (SGA). Fidelity's "CD-type" annuities can be found here: Guaranteed Rates for Tax-Deferred Fixed Annuities (SPDAs) Available Through Fidelity

You can get a 3.10% 5 yr annuity outside Fidelity. MYGA Rates
The "CD-type" annuity rates on that page do usually get updated around the first of each month.

Thanks for the clarification and additional info.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum