Near All Time Highs - who's going to pull the trigger?

wmc1000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With Dow and S&P nearing all time highs today is everyone going to continue the ride or will some of you take some money to the sidelines?

I will continue to write out-of-the-money covered call options on specific ETFs or stocks.

I am not going to sell indiscriminately, because there are many sectors that are still beaten down badly, and have not recovered to their norm. Energy and metal mining are two examples.

..............take some money to the sidelines? And do what:confused:?

my standard response to DW is "hookers and blow" - of course I'm joking

we will be getting a nice wire this week from a property sale in WA - I'd like to get the house paid off

last time I got out of my gold fund I paid off my house

Last edited:
Sold about 5% of assets which had reached a recent high. Most of what I sold was purchased at a market dip in late August last year and was intended as a short term investment only.

Am considering selling more to move toward a more conservative asset allocation while prices are good. However my best guess is I'll end up letting the rest ride since I won't need that money for years anyway so it can ride out a market drop if one comes.

Anything I sell goes into bond funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Some may possibly consider taking the cash from the current run back up and wait for the next fed rate hike to potentially cause a drop and then rejoin the battle. I have about 20% in total market mutual fund that I am considering closing out today to cash. Have seen about a 10% increase since I bought in earlier this year.

Some may possibly consider taking the cash from the current run back up and wait for the next fed rate hike to potentially cause a drop and then rejoin the battle.
You may need to be prepared to wait for quite a while. I think the fed is crawfishing on another rate hike any time soon.

Haven't really paid any attention to the market for several months and read about the near all time high. I'm gonna let it ride.

I am taking some profits off the table to pay for an extensive house renovation project next year.

Haven't we set like 70 new all-time highs since 2009? How do I know which one is It?

If any money goes to the sidelines any time soon for us, it'll be to look for better value options which would mark a strategic shift. I'm not there yet.

Or, we could rely on a rhyme, if only I could recall which one is always correct.

sell in May - then go away
sell in June - before the swoon
sell in July - don't ask why
sell in August - before it go bust

I also sold 5% of assets at S&P 2100 to get to 65/32/3 AA. The rest can ride.

For the most part, will let my investments ride. The only thing I've done is to move my son's 529 plans out of the market very recently as this has become a short term investment horizon. One starts college in the Fall, the other is only a year behind. And they were invested less than 20% in equities.
Have them in either short term corporate bond fund or stable value fund.

Knowing how clever I am about market timing, the best thing for me is to do nothing.

With Dow and S&P nearing all time highs today is everyone going to continue the ride or will some of you take some money to the sidelines?
Continue the ride by all means.

Though it's always moved in fits and starts, isn't the market supposed to hit new highs ongoing? Hasn't it always hit new highs, in the USA at least? There have been hundreds of new highs in the past 10 years, do you wish you'd gotten out - and when would you have "rejoined" with confidence?

113-years-of-the-dow_0-1.jpg

Mostly doing nothing.

Starting yet another DIY study on stocks, see if I can torture the data until it confesses. Experiment with machine learning.

Continue the cash covered put writing program, to get a bit of income while the market continues upwards, and buy at a discount when it doesn't.

I am actually buying more. My monthly allocation. I have had a buy in for a while, and the market keeps climbing higher. At some point in the next week, I will buy at market 50% of my allocation. Then, the rest before the 23.

I always set a buy for ~1% below the market on around the first of the month.

remember the thread where some of us were front loading in January?

Back
Top Bottom