Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Picked up some OLP last few days. They announced an offering 15.13 and then repriced the offering at 15.85, share price took a big hit and is now recovering. Yield is near 8% at this level. Share offerings are a normal way REITs raise money to fund acquisitions. Current Share price is a discount to the offering price.
This might be great, but it is not exactly a blue chip reit. I think management is reasonably good and honest, but they mostly own run of the mill big box and other generic properties.

It may not matter within our lifetimes, but there is a long term trend to online retailing that will represent a headwind.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This might be great, but it is not exactly a blue chip reit. I think management is reasonably good and honest, but they mostly own run of the mill big box and other generic properties.

It may not matter within our lifetimes, but there is a long term trend to online retailing that will represent a headwind.

Ha
They are small, I grant you that. They continued their dividend through the recent downturn. They have been busy making new acquisitions while many other REITs were still trying to stop the bleeding. Their tenant quality seems to be just fine at this point, people are still going to go to office depot or pep boys etc to buy what they immediately need. But you do have a point long term. That is one of the reasons I only own one other retail reit. For now the short term and intermediate term, I'm buying and will sit on a 8% yield and likely price appreciation until OLP is more fairly valued.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #23

Picked up some NOK today. Got hit pretty bad with news that they are hooking up with Microsoft for operating system. 4% yield, likely price appreciation as investors realize that NOK didn't deserve the beating.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, I bought 200 shares of CSCO under $19. Right now its not paying a dividend, but they announced they would.

I am still looking around for some really undervalued companies.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bode316 View Post
Well, I bought 200 shares of CSCO under $19. Right now its not paying a dividend, but they announced they would.

I would say that some of the cheapest things I own that pay a dividend and are not volatile small caps are LOW and AHL. The former is ready to gear up for growth as retail spending recovers and management has been buying back stock to beat the band. Dividend growth over the past 5+ years has been quite impressive. The latter is a consistently profitable company that never got itself in trouble durng the crisis and continues to pay a nice dividend, build book value and buy back stock. AHL trades at roughly .75 book value.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bode316 View Post

I bought some too. 1125 shares at 19.11. Last time they disapointed I bought at 19.54 and sold at 21.75 and made $1872. I hold a position and buy and sell to lower my cost basis and to add to my position. I have a sell in at 21.85 for 1000 of those shares.
kbst
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbst View Post
Hi BUM,
What's a trad? BTW my wife retired last Febuary and I semied in July so we've been going down to the island about a week a month ever since. We ate at the senior center for the breakfast special in September and thought we would have seen you. We might have seen your wife.
I guess you're up north with the new grandchild from reading some of your threads. What an awful year to be in NY for the winter. We're going to try and go to KB around the end of the month for a week or so.
Best,
kbst
Trad is short for Traditional IRA. Congrats on your new retirement status. DW and I are off pancake breakfast duty. Maybe we can hook up at Jack Mackerals any Wednesday (tonight for example). Its 40% off nite!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Trad is short for Traditional IRA. Congrats on your new retirement status. DW and I are off pancake breakfast duty. Maybe we can hook up at Jack Mackerals any Wednesday (tonight for example). Its 40% off nite!!!!!!
Bum,
We're coming down on the 23rd and will probably stay about a week. We always enjoy a good deal so Jack Mackerals on the 23rd? 7 PM?
kbst
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbst View Post
Trade your Roth. Invest everything else. It's easier accounting.
kbst
I trade in a Roth IRA and a regular IRA (rolled over from 401k). The regular brokerage I keep blue chips.

Do you have to worry about the accounting for a traditional ira? Is it taxed like a 401k such that the tax rate is based on the amount withdrawn, and not the stock gains?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingmywords View Post
I trade in a Roth IRA and a regular IRA (rolled over from 401k). The regular brokerage I keep blue chips.

Do you have to worry about the accounting for a traditional ira? Is it taxed like a 401k such that the tax rate is based on the amount withdrawn, and not the stock gains?
eatingmywords,
As far as I know your traditional IRA will be taxed as income when you withdraw it. So you don't have to keep up with anything you just have to pay taxes on everything you withdraw. I trade my SEP also but not as much as my ROTH. Your not taxed on anything on your ROTH.
kbst