Join Early Retirement Today

Next Dividend Purchase
Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Next Dividend Purchase

Hello,

First off, I'm 27, and I like to invest in dividend stocks.

Currently I own a little over 100 shares of the following stocks. (all in 401k or Roth)
MO, PFE, BMY, DOW, AA, APA, WM, GE, MSFT, UA, BP, UL and a few others.

I am interested in EPD, (enterprise products) which is an MLP. I am thinking about buying 100 shares. For some reason I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. I think Natural Gas is the future, and these guys are probably the biggest pipeline distributor in the U.S.

Just wanted a second opinion, or possibly maybe another idea.

Thanks All

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Be careful about buying an MLP in a 401k or IRA. There are tax peculiarities associated with these things that make them most suitable for taxable accounts. If you do buy an MLP in a taxable account, you will have to deal with a K1 at tax time, which is a nuisance.

"To be a man means that you are brave, loyal and true. When you are in the wrong, you own up and take your punishment. You don't take advantage of women. As a husband, you support and protect your wife and children. You are gracious in victory and a good sport in defeat. Your word is your bond. Your handshake is as good as your word... When the ship goes down, you put the women and children into the lifeboats and wave good-bye with a smile." C Murray
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I may be wrong, but i thought unless you made $1000 a year off of the dividends, you wouldnt have to report it?

Do you have any other dividend stocks you would recommend?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The limit is not on dividends, but on "unrelated business taxable income" (UBTI) which may have little to do with the amount of dividends you receive. As a general rule, I would not buy an MLP in an IRA or 401k.

I will leave dividend stocks as an exercise for the reader, as it is not my investing style, generally speaking.
"To be a man means that you are brave, loyal and true. When you are in the wrong, you own up and take your punishment. You don't take advantage of women. As a husband, you support and protect your wife and children. You are gracious in victory and a good sport in defeat. Your word is your bond. Your handshake is as good as your word... When the ship goes down, you put the women and children into the lifeboats and wave good-bye with a smile." C Murray
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ok, I get what you are saying. I will look a little closer into that.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bode316 View Post
I may be wrong, but i thought unless you made $1000 a year off of the dividends, you wouldnt have to report it?
In general, every piece of paper that reports your investment income is also sent to the IRS for their computer matching. Even if it's not considered "reportable", you still might get an IRS letter (and perhaps a state letter too) inquiring about it.

It's just one more hassle in your mailbox, and it's one that produces an adrenaline jolt which instantly elevates my heartrate.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no advise but I just want you to know that my son (age 26) has owned EPD for a few years and it has been a very good investment for him. It's not in a retirement account and he reinvests to dividends.

The only negative is waiting for the K-1 form. It does not come in Jan. like a W-2 or 1099.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #8

I agree with your thoughts about nat gas being the future. . I just wish I knew how much future we are dealing with.
A stock I like (and own) is SE. It is in the pipeline/distribution business so it doesn't bounce with the price of gas (so much.)
Nice 4% div that has a habit of rising once in a while.
I know you are talking about a retirement account, but FWIW to others, SE has a great div reinvestment program. Great defined as very low fees and small minimums.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

SE does look good, pretty close to EPD. I will take that into consideration.

So far, I have been buying stocks for about 8 years, and good paying dividend stocks seem to be really profitable for me. Especially since I have 30 years to keep building them. (I know dividends can change, or be removed, I'm not that naive)
Old 01-24-2011, 04:10 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

The unrelated business taxable income (UBTI) becomes an issue once you go over the $1000 limit. At that point the custodian of your account must pay tax on whatever is above the $1000 level from your account. Please keep in mind that most of the income you receive from MLP's is unlikely to be UBTI and in many instances you can see a negative UBTI (which can be deducted from your overall positive UBTI in your account). In the case of 100 shares of EPD, it is very unlikely you will even get close to the $1,000 level of UBTI. I have owned several MLP's in my IRA, for the past 10+ years and have never come close to the $1000 limit of UBTI. If it is a worry, try looking at KMR and EEQ. Their distributions are in additional shares, so eliminate the UBTI issue.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Have you looked at VZ? Over 5% dividend yield and it's had great growth lately too. I was glad I owned it today.

T pays an even higher dividend, but I'd stick with VZ, personally.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I take the easy way out...VHDYX.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

I own 110 shares of vz, and really like it. I got in at around 23.

I am also looking at JNJ, on top of the MLP's I have mentioned.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Be careful about buying an MLP in a 401k or IRA. There are tax peculiarities associated with these things that make them most suitable for taxable accounts. If you do buy an MLP in a taxable account, you will have to deal with a K1 at tax time, which is a nuisance.
K1's are a PITA. I recall enjoying the divvies from Suburban Propane. But the paperwork took the fun out of it.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Trade your Roth. Invest everything else. It's easier accounting.
kbst
Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbst View Post
Trade your Roth. Invest everything else. It's easier accounting.
kbst
Hi kbst,
I started converting my trad to a roth last year at little or no tax consequence, since other interest and dividend income is scarce. Sometimes its good to be "poor".
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I picked up some ABT. Got knocked hard, now trading near 52 week low. Seems like a gift at this level.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
I picked up some ABT. Got knocked hard, now trading near 52 week low. Seems like a gift at this level.
I have been purchasing shares of ABT this week also. I hope you do well with your investment.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Hi kbst,
I started converting my trad to a roth last year at little or no tax consequence, since other interest and dividend income is scarce. Sometimes its good to be "poor".
Hi BUM,
What's a trad? BTW my wife retired last Febuary and I semied in July so we've been going down to the island about a week a month ever since. We ate at the senior center for the breakfast special in September and thought we would have seen you. We might have seen your wife.
I guess you're up north with the new grandchild from reading some of your threads. What an awful year to be in NY for the winter. We're going to try and go to KB around the end of the month for a week or so.
Best,
kbst
Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Picked up some OLP last few days. They announced an offering 15.13 and then repriced the offering at 15.85, share price took a big hit and is now recovering. Yield is near 8% at this level. Share offerings are a normal way REITs raise money to fund acquisitions. Current Share price is a discount to the offering price.