Join Early Retirement Today

Nibbling along the edges?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to mostly cash the beginning of the month. I find myself nibbling a bit today and have bought around 10% (SPY). Anybody else thinking we are close to a bottom?

NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not yet, we've had some technical damage here. We've broken the 100 day on SP 500 (at least Intra-day), let's see if it can regain it or ...

Having said that, I bought some GTX today @ 15.37. It is a HON spin-off. Why? I think spin-off's/spin-out's in general do well, and I got a little bit via my HON holding and wanted a bit more (to give me more incentive to watch it).

ETA: I'm trying hard not to nibble here, having trouble keeping my keys off the keyboard. I actually hope to pick up some emerging markets and Japan, but really need to stay away as they are very likely to fall overnight due to the wash out domestically today. (Emerging markets because I think I am underweight there and Japan because I think the market there technically looks better than it has in many many years even decades).

copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #3

Not yet. I have close to 75-80% in cash. But I did have some cash covered puts though. But I worry if we have a deal with China then it’s going to see saw.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #4

The profit taking feels about done, but historically this time of year is tricky.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Not buying anything yet. Would like to see AMZN fall some more so I can buy some before end of year holiday numbers push it up.
If Brk/b drops below $200, I'll make a big splash in it though.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
ETA: I'm trying hard not to nibble here, having trouble keeping my keys off the keyboard. I actually hope to pick up some emerging markets and Japan, but really need to stay away as they are very likely to fall overnight due to the wash out domestically today. (Emerging markets because I think I am underweight there and Japan because I think the market there technically looks better than it has in many many years even decades).
I am sure you know it, but the Nikkei has been trading in "lockstep" with the Dow for sometime. I have heard traders say that they expect it to outperform in the near future.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #7

Nothing yet. The percentage drop is still insignificant. However, I did venture to the dark side and did my October VTSAX Roth conversion today. Usually it's later in the month.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I knew it wouldn’t be long before we started seeing some posts from the people that went to cash a week or two ago.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #9

Never occurred to me that this thread was going to be about money. Talk about being disappointed!
Old 10-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
I knew it wouldn’t be long before we started seeing some posts from the people that went to cash a week or two ago.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
Wish I was (today), glad I'm not (longer term, e.g. 1 year). Sitting at somewhere between 65 and 66 % equity after today.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #12

I will probably buy a bit more today (10%). Interesting factoid. The day after a big move like yesterday:
51% of the time the market moves up 1% the following day.
49% of the time the market moves down 2% the following day.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Never occurred to me that this thread was going to be about money. Talk about being disappointed!

My rebalance bands (+/- 10%) haven’t tripped, so steady as she goes. VGK (Europe has been trending lower for a while, seemingly unrelated to the current swoon) is at 8.5% now. My reit has dropped more recently with the rise in rates, but is at 8.0%, so just watching.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I put in an order for total international. I had some extra $$ from a maturing CD that was going to the muni fund before the dip.
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #15

I hope not! I have a big influx of cash, roughly 10% of invested assets, coming in just about two weeks. More down please!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I will probably buy a bit more today (10%). Interesting factoid. The day after a big move like yesterday:
51% of the time the market moves up 1% the following day.
49% of the time the market moves down 2% the following day.
Appears, it is the latter this time. I will definitely buy (10%) between now and the close!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In order to nibble, you've got to have teeth, er, cash.

Just look to see that I have 26.7% in cash. But I have already bought the last couple of weeks, a bit early. Somewhat reluctant to throw more money into the ring.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #18

I will buy more if VTI is less than $137. I sold out at $144 sometimes in Spring. Now it’s lower than that.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #19

I bought a really tiny amount of BUD today.

The market is going to have to get down to near the lows of the year for me to be interested in doing anything significant.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I bought a really tiny amount of BUD today.
A 6-pack?

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote