Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On July 11, about 3 months ago, the S&P 500 was at 2,774 which is a little lower than yesterday when it was at 2,785 after the so called "market plunge." Of course in July the market was on it's upward march, but the point is it was at the same level as it is now. I don't understand how people get concerned about a "market plunge" but were unconcerned 3 months ago when the market was at the same level.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
On July 11, about 3 months ago, the S&P 500 was at 2,774 which is a little lower than yesterday when it was at 2,785 after the so called "market plunge." Of course in July the market was on it's upward march, but the point is it was at the same level as it is now. I don't understand how people get concerned about a "market plunge" but were unconcerned 3 months ago when the market was at the same level.
I agree, as long as the prior date for comparison purposes is fairly recent, as opposed to some ancient date many years ago. Three months is definitely recent enough.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #43

I sold some stock a couple of weeks ago to fund the next two years of spending (sitting as cash in Vanguard Prime MM). That combined with this drop has caused my U.S. stock allocation to hit a rebalancing limit.

Today I'll place an order to move some of my 401(k) bond allocation to U.S. stocks.

This is my first official rebalance since ER

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #44

If I were DCA’ing, I woul be like the OP and want to put a little more in now. Maybe a reasonable acceleration would be to double up on the next buy? I don’t know, but I’d probably put some extra in now.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53anddone View Post
I own 30 or so individual stocks and simply add to them when the price is right. The price is still not right for most but some are getting closer.
All pay dividends and nothing fundamental has changed that would affect that for my holdings.
A step toward a buying opportunity plain and simple.
I invest in a very similar way. It’s been working for 8 years, no problems. If I have some cash, I buy when the market drops.
DeborahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #46

I took a little nibbling through options. I can’t remember when I sold early this year, but I might get it back a little cheaper.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Also, the S&P was at about 2,720 at the beginning of the year. So we’re essentially flat at this point. Of course there was a lot of volatility this year. No worried yet. Of course at less than a 50% equity AA, I don’t worry too much anyway.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I bought a few dow stocks yesterday (several times). Not a lot (~$100k) and I may buy again today (and DCA them) if it takes another big drop.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Either you all have nerves of steel or there is some whistling in the graveyard going on. I don't like it when $40k vanishes in a week. My morning mood is not improved when I go to Discover online bank to check on a fund transfer and see this message:
Account service is limited at this time.
Some of our website features are currently unavailable.

Any previously scheduled transactions, bill payments, and loan payments will process as normal
Your balance and account history has been updated as of 10/11/2018
You can view 45 days of account history
New funds transfers and loan payments cannot be scheduled
We appreciate your patience and regret any inconvenience.

Makes a big ol' chicken man want to start stuffing the mattress rather than counting on digital cash representations.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It could be a bad metaphor. This guy was on Tesla autopilot when it happened.

I don't own or plan to own any Tesla car or stock

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #51

Well first off, I assumed it plunged because of me... ie I was out doing a framing inspection on my new home and while I do have 25% down payment in a Mutual Fund, I failed to take out my extra 10% reserve as I told myself to.. so Karma is just messing with me as that 10% just happens to be EXACTLY what I lost in the market yesterday.

Seriously, it was a blip, I do expect some softening before the election and of course people's fear of the trade wars and the Fed tightening, that's a lot of factors making various people all fidgety.

I'd be ok DCA right now as I like the volatility. I expect by the time the election is done, everything will be baked in and then there isn't as much opportunity.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Either you all have nerves of steel or there is some whistling in the graveyard going on. ....
A 4%-5% drop, and you are talking about "nerves of steel" or "whistling in the graveyard"?

Get a grip! Many of us handled the 2008 drop w/o getting all weak kneed. I re-balanced what turned out to be near the lows. Yes, bought more stocks when they were down ~ 40%.

So far, this is just a blip of noise. Very likely, if you didn't look for a week or two, you wouldn't even suspect anything happened. That is yet to be seen, but you can't judge on a single digit blip.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #53

Quite a reversal compared to the peak for me, yet not a really big hit compared to Jan 1st.
  • Tracker worldwide +3% (peaked at +9%)
  • Tracker emerging -11% (peaked at +6%)
  • Individual +2% (peaked at +11%)

All in EUR.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #54

Quote:
Either you all have nerves of steel or there is some whistling in the graveyard going on. I don't like it when $40k vanishes in a week.
I lost 20+% in one morning on 10/19/87, and that was AFTER the market went down 3.8% on 10/14/87, and 2.4% down on 10/15/87 and 4.6% on 10/16/87.

Yesterday was a "pimple on the a** " of that. I survived that day and so did the US economic expansion that was happening at that time.

=
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I lost 20+% in one morning on 10/19/87, and that was AFTER the market went down 3.8% on 10/14/87, and 2.4% down on 10/15/87 and 4.6% on 10/16/87.

Yesterday was a "pimple on the a** " of that. I survived that day and so did the US economic expansion that was happening at that time.

=
I purchased a put on the market on Friday before the market plunge on Monday 1987. Now I know why, there’s several days of down in the market.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I don't own or plan to own any Tesla car or stock
I think Tesla cars are OK. Just keep your eyes wide open, hands on the steering wheel, foot on the brake, like Musk said.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post

The 1987 crash was scary but those were quite different economic times. For example, the yield on the 10 year Treasury was 8.9% (the 3 mo Treasury was 5.5% !!). Real bond returns were highly positive. So it paid to move to bonds over stocks in those days. Just saying this because there were true underlying reasons for many to move out of stocks besides just pure panic ... and there was plenty of pure panic.

My Plan B is only effective when variables associated with recessions of the past are present. That is not the case now. So I'm sitting tight.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I don't like it when $40k vanishes in a week...
That's 1/2 of what I lost just yesterday. And of course I do not like it.

You have more in real estate, while I only invest in equities. So, your pain is just from a paper cut.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't care less and am doing nothing as a result.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #60

When we had the bump in late January-early February 2018 I did some soul searching and decided I was not comfortable with my AA. It wasn't predicated on a belief that the market was about to crash, but after assessing my needs, and what would happen if the market continued to climb, or stay put, or fall back, I found an AA that seemed to better suit my situation, and my personal risk tolerance.

i guess I hit the sweet spot, because this isn't bothering me.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote