Join Early Retirement Today

Opinion on NLY?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Opinion on NLY?

Owners of NLY? I bot this @ 17.50. It has started sliding down. Even though it pays good dividend, is it worth keeping for long term or should I take $500 loss & get out of it? Your opinion will be appreciated.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sell after the next dividend if you think the price will hold until then. I have some NLY but haven't paid much attention to it lately.

R

Old 05-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh6675 View Post
Owners of NLY? I bot this @ 17.50. It has started sliding down. Even though it pays good dividend, is it worth keeping for long term or should I take $500 loss & get out of it? Your opinion will be appreciated.

I own 225 shares at 17.90. I plan on keeping it and reinvesting the dividends as long as I can.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

i wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole. looks like a HIGH risk venture.

"The company invests primarily in mortgage pass-through certificates, collateralized mortgage obligations, agency callable debentures, and other mortgage-backed securities representing interests in or obligations backed by pools of mortgage loans."

have you done any dd on their portfolio?

but who really knows, when they suspended mark to market....all transparency disappeared.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by endthefed View Post
i wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole. looks like a HIGH risk venture.

"The company invests primarily in mortgage pass-through certificates, collateralized mortgage obligations, agency callable debentures, and other mortgage-backed securities representing interests in or obligations backed by pools of mortgage loans."

have you done any dd on their portfolio?

but who really knows, when they suspended mark to market....all transparency disappeared.

NLY's portfolio is entirely agency MBS, very plain vanilla stuff backed by the feddle gummint. It is quite liquid and marked to market at least daily. The real risk with NLY and its brethren (AGNC, CMO, ANH, MFA, etc.) is that they are levered and have interest rate bets on. Credit risk is negligible.
"To be a man means that you are brave, loyal and true. When you are in the wrong, you own up and take your punishment. You don't take advantage of women. As a husband, you support and protect your wife and children. You are gracious in victory and a good sport in defeat. Your word is your bond. Your handshake is as good as your word... When the ship goes down, you put the women and children into the lifeboats and wave good-bye with a smile." C Murray
brewer12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
NLY's portfolio is entirely agency MBS, very plain vanilla stuff backed by the feddle gummint. It is quite liquid and marked to market at least daily. The real risk with NLY and its brethren (AGNC, CMO, ANH, MFA, etc.) is that they are levered and have interest rate bets on. Credit risk is negligible.
well dc/nyc has shown no limit on bailing out fannie/freddie -- so good to go on that.

i noticed the leverage. wonder if their borrowings are floating rate? could be a good short when the fed is finally forced to raise rates.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by endthefed View Post
well dc/nyc has shown no limit on bailing out fannie/freddie -- so good to go on that.

i noticed the leverage. wonder if their borrowings are floating rate? could be a good short when the fed is finally forced to raise rates.
Most of the MREITs use 30 to 90 day repos to finance their MBS, but most/all hedge to some degree with interest rate swaps. I do not follow NLY that closely, but ANH (which I have an interest in) has about half of its borrowings swapped out to match assets, with the rest being floating rate.
"To be a man means that you are brave, loyal and true. When you are in the wrong, you own up and take your punishment. You don't take advantage of women. As a husband, you support and protect your wife and children. You are gracious in victory and a good sport in defeat. Your word is your bond. Your handshake is as good as your word... When the ship goes down, you put the women and children into the lifeboats and wave good-bye with a smile." C Murray
brewer12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Put the MReits in an IRA and just let the compounding magic work. Check the last call to see their swap book & spreads and go from there. I personally dont see rates moving materially for another year+ for whatever thats worth.