Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I played around with options and Roths awhile back.

I split a traditional IRA into several Roths via conversions, then set up purchases of put and call options on some volatile stocks (I think at the time Netflix, Amazon, Apple and a few others). I recharacterized the losers and kept the huge gainers, thus paying minimal tax on the conversion and ending up with a big Roth. It had a lot of risk but I ended up with something like a $20,000 taxable conversion and a $45,000 Roth, but I lost about $1,000 in pre tax money overall.

I don't know if the above made a lot of sense now that I read it, but it was like this:

$60,000 traditional IRA, 0 basis
split into 6 Roth conversions, $10k each
two won, with wins of $25k and $20k
four lost, with total losses of $26,000 ($14,000 back into traditional after recharacterizing all four)

So I ended up with a Roth with $45k in it, $14k in a traditional, and $20k taxable conversion instead of $45k. At our 33% bracket, I saved a bit over $8,000 in taxes vs converting straight up $45k (but since I lost $1k of the original $60k, I guess I only "saved" about $7,000.)

Too messy IMO.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
This is self-dealing and is clearly illegal in an IRA.
I've read a number of different pages on "self-dealing", and can't seem to find any definition that would put this in that category. They all point to making a deal that will screw over a client for your own benefit.

one example :
self-dealing
NOUN
  1. the benefiting or attempting to benefit from a financial transaction carried out on behalf of somebody else

I also read through this, but a bit deep for me:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicq85.pdf
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
I've read a number of different pages on "self-dealing", and can't seem to find any definition that would put this in that category. They all point to making a deal that will screw over a client for your own benefit.
Your IRAs can't buy or sell assets from you or your family members.

https://www.trustetc.com/self-direct...ed-individuals

Retirement Plan Investments FAQs
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #24

To get around self-dealing, margin, other things that can get an IRA invalidated, how about you use ETFs that are mirrors (ie long/short) of each other? Or maybe you could find an ETF that implements you desired option strategies.

It may not be perfect but it may have much lower legal risk.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote