Join Early Retirement Today

Ouch, ouch ouch, DPO never again!
Old 09-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ouch, ouch ouch, DPO never again!

So I made a mistake. I'll be the first to admit. My pride and finances took a small hit.

I invested in WORK (Slack Technologies) DPO Direct Public Offering. Got in at 40 the morning they went Public...and unfortunately today I am getting out at around 20.

Lesson learned. Stick to my damn Asset Allocation strategy along with buying the whole market. Thankfully I only invested 1% of my total portfolio in this seemingly unprofitable and terribly managed DPO.

Learn from my mistake! I thought I had enough info to make an educated buy but I was soo so wrong. Mrs kgtest is not happy with me.

Happy Friday!!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #2

We've all done it. Life is like school except first you get the test and then you get the lesson.

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
We've all done it. Life is like school except first you get the test and then you get the lesson.
I have to remember this one!
Old 09-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #4

Don't feel bad, I went "all in" for a grand on an Elio.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My record with individual stocks...buy high, sell low. It is a hard lesson to learn, and some of us (me) have to keep re-learning it.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You're not alone, I had a handful of co-workers who think Slack is the greatest software ever and were sure the stock was going to be a big hit so they jumped in on the initial offering. They learned that there isn't a for-certain correlation among product quality, product popularity, and stock prices. I still hear them complaining about how "wrong" the market is on the stock.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #7

Well if it was only one share it was a cheap lesson. 100 a little pain. 1000 ouch. 10,000 or more OMG .
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
So I made a mistake. I'll be the first to admit. My pride and finances took a small hit.

I invested in WORK (Slack Technologies) DPO Direct Public Offering. Got in at 40 the morning they went Public...and unfortunately today I am getting out at around 20.

Lesson learned. Stick to my damn Asset Allocation strategy along with buying the whole market. Thankfully I only invested 1% of my total portfolio in this seemingly unprofitable and terribly managed DPO.

Learn from my mistake! I thought I had enough info to make an educated buy but I was soo so wrong. Mrs kgtest is not happy with me.

Happy Friday!!
Being able to talk about it, both with the Missus and here, is a good sign. We all have done dumber things, although not everyone ‘fesses up.

IPIC theaters did their IPO early last year, and offered DPO shares to customers with memberships. It looked appealing.

Last week they declared bankruptcy.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #9

Yeah, I doubled down twice on MCI-Worldcom on the way down to zero.....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #10

Ya never know. It could pay off in the long run. I/DPOs are so over-hyped anything could happen.

I’m looking at a big loss on MJ, an ETF of cannabis companies currently down 30% so I’m doubling down, of course!
Old 09-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good chance to harvest some gains at no tax since the those gains are offset by the WORK losses.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #12

"One" of my big ones was Enron. Dropped so fast it defied the laws of gravity.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I just learned of this stock from this thread. I have never bought any IPO or DPO. But that does not mean I have not lost 50% on a single stock.

In fact, even if you only hold MFs, you also have lost plenty more on stocks held by the MFs and you just don't know about it.

Lemme see. GE is still a component of the S&P 500. High of 41+, and hanging on at 9 today. There are more like it in the S&P, but the smaller companies do not get the headlines.

The saving grace is the OP only put 1% of his investable assets in WORK. Yep, diversification is how we survive. The OP should not beat himself up too badly.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

If you only invested 1% then you did not make a mistake, you were pretty conservative and prudent. Especially if this was a product and company (management team & financials) you were knowledgeable about, which would normally generate oversized optimism.

Based on anecdotal observations (no data to back this up) it does seem that the stock prices of young/new companies are much more volatile than more mature companies. That it often takes many quarterly reports before investors get comfortable with the predictability of future revenues and the management team.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #15

I would question " Invested In " . Speculated in ? Before buying any stock, know specifically why YOU are buying it, and any sale, why are you selling it.

Most IPO's drop after the initial spash. 6 mo out is usually a better time to evaluate for purchase.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:13 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

1/10 of 1% would be a better rule of thumb. Or nothing at all.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:21 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Happy Friday!!
Happens to everyone hope it was a small amount. Keep in mind your stock dropped 50%. It is quite normal to have the whole market correct 30-40% every few years. How would you feel then?

If the answer is bad, adjust your asset allocation now while you can.
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:36 AM   #18

Why not buy more? If you liked it at 40, you should love it at 20.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Why are you getting out now? A desire to lock in a loss?

I guess you learned a not too expensive lesson. Stuff happens.

The title you use seems to suggest that you won't speculate on DPOs again, yet you wrote "this seemingly unprofitable and terribly managed DPO" which seems to imply that you think this particular DPO is an outlier.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are not alone, same rationale, my honey LOVES it, and I had done so well on my other IPOs that I just threw some money at it. The biggest issue is that Microsoft has been so agressive since the IPO which makes it a bad bet and I too got out at a lost.

For me it is still a win because I have another position with a huge gain I want out of and this loss will be able to allow me to leverage almost completely out of that and still keep my ACA subsidy.

karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote