Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #21
gone traveling

The subject reminds me of the definition of economist as provided by Laurence J. Peter:

"An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today."
joylesshusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Audrey's point reinforces what never ceases to surprise me. While the following is anecdote, not data, at several points I've been a bit stunned at how quickly the markets "correct," sometimes after many years of underperformance.
1) I just looked at the portfolio and noticed Fidelity International Small Cap. It's in a Brokerage 403b that I started in March 2012 and was one of the worst performers in the account. However, this year it's up more than 30% and passed the other funds in 5 year performance (Fidelity Small Cap Discovery last year was the leader by quite a bit; it's not done well this year.)
2) I also have held Vanguard International Value in DW's rollover IRA for almost 10 years--another underperformer, compared both to international and of course to US large caps. This year, again, 30%. I had an International Growth fund and wanted to try the Value premium; luckily I remembered this intent.
3) In 1999, to "smooth" out the volatility of Fidelity Select Biotech, I bought Select Healthcare, which had done well at lower volatility. It, frankly, sucked for about 4-5 years. Again looking at it in another Brokerage 403b started about 5.5 years ago, it has been the best performer for the last 5 years.

I like to look at 10 year returns for funds rather than shorter terms (the problem with this is that often the management has changed). And looking at 10 or 15 year returns reinforces that the international diversification and the small and value premium often requires a lot of time to work--much longer than most peeps have the patience to realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep. I've definitely had some asset classes lag for 3 years, rebalancing into them year after year, then lol and behold, bam! they surge way ahead of the others and its time to trim. That always feels rewarding.

But I do notice many folks have usually given up on that asset class by the three year mark and put the funds into something else.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote