Join Early Retirement Today

Pcrix
Old 12-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pcrix

I'm sure many of us hold PCRIX in our portfolios. Did anyone notice that the ER went from .74 to 1.21 in the last few months?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #2

Hmmmm... didn't notice because I haven't been watching it. I've owned it for 4-5 years. Bought it in the good ole days when it was trading around $16

Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #3

I like that fund and would like to buy some but the minimum investment is $5M!! I know there are some wealthier folks on this board but for that to be just part of a portfolio is way beyond me.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
I like that fund and would like to buy some but the minimum investment is $5M!! I know there are some wealthier folks on this board but for that to be just part of a portfolio is way beyond me.
Hey, not me. I'm as broke as the next guy.... Vanguard and many others can get you in that fund for a few thou' as a minimum.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Hey, not me. I'm as broke as the next guy.... Vanguard and many others can get you in that fund for a few thou' as a minimum.
Interesting, I called Wells Fargo and they didn't offer a way in under the $5M min for me.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I decided to use DBC for my commodities: best combo, IMHO, of low
expense, minimal transaction fee, and lack of credit risk. Do not hold
it in a taxable account, or you will be hating life come tax-time.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #7

Anybody else think this is a buy now?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #8

I would think so, I'm down about 50K.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hard to see this as a speculation vehicle; its realy more suited to a long term portdolio diversifier and inflation hedge.

For a speculation, I like onshore natural gas producers a lot better.
"To be a man means that you are brave, loyal and true. When you are in the wrong, you own up and take your punishment. You don't take advantage of women. As a husband, you support and protect your wife and children. You are gracious in victory and a good sport in defeat. Your word is your bond. Your handshake is as good as your word... When the ship goes down, you put the women and children into the lifeboats and wave good-bye with a smile." C Murray
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think the ER changed, it is still 0.74 last that I checked. But I think the larger number somehow represents total operating costs of the instruments they use. I posted the question on Bogleheads forum but never really got a fully satisfactory answer.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I posted this in June, 2009 on raddr's board just after I bought PCRIX for the first time, after thinking about it forever. I thought these reasons might help folks think about their purchase. I now keep 5% of my portfolio in PCRIX, I bought a bit more since the post below, and I don't have any plans to modify this percentage in the near term (the 0.74% expense ratio institutional version available to Vanguard investors for, I believe, 25K minimum purchase).

If you go by history, you can actually take the investment in PCRIX out of bonds, and still have a safer portfolio. Larry Swedroe recommends instead to take it out of equities, thus reducing the risk and average return of your portfolio (basically, decreasing the potential for outsize portfolio returns as a trade for decreasing the possibility of very low returns).

Kramer
Quote:
After a long time examination of the evidence for futures, I am still not sure. That being said, I finally took the plunge last week and put 4% of my portfolio in them (PCRIX). I already had about 2% of my portfolio in precious metals (VGPMX).

I thought it might be instructional to lay out my own reasons. I personally have a more compelling case for investing in commodity futures than most people. Without most or all of these special factors, I would probably still be holding back.

1) I have extra need for protection against dollar weakness because I am retired and spend most of my time outside of the USA spending something other than dollars. 2) My portfolio is weighted toward value stocks, which have a lower historical correlation to futures than ordinary stocks. 3) Since I no longer have a job, do not own a home, have no inflation-adjusted pension (or social security at this time), and must maintain private health insurance, I am much more susceptible to inflation than most working people *and* most retirees. 4) Where I spend the most money, in developing countries, energy prices have a much greater effect on local inflation than in developed countries. 5) One of my future key assets, social security, is denominated in dollars. So my portfolio is even more dollar-heavy than it appears. 6) It is difficult for me to overweight foreign stocks because I do not receive all of the foreign tax credit due to my tax situation, which effectively increases their expense ratio for me (so only about 40% of my equities are non-USA). 7) I had room in tax deferred for the futures fund.

Also, as Larry Swedroe recommends, I went slightly longer duration with my bonds when I added futures to my portfolio.

I should mention that I am not negative on the future of the dollar whatsoever, I just like to diversify when possible. Even with the futures in there, my portfolio is still only about 26% non-dollar. That is mostly because all my bonds are dollar-denominated. But half of those are inflation-linked (TIPS and I-bonds) so that helps, too. Also, there is a high likelihood that much of my future spending will be in dollars. I still have not found a foreign bond fund that meets all my standards.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hard to see this as a speculation vehicle; its realy more suited to a long term portdolio diversifier and inflation hedge.

For a speculation, I like onshore natural gas producers a lot better.
Hedging is where I'm headed. Might look like speculation when I'm done. Trimming stocks and a position in gold makes sense to me now. I think the world has gone
Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hedging is where I'm headed. Might look like speculation when I'm done. Trimming stocks and a position in gold makes sense to me now. I think the world has gone
My allocation to PCRIX is 5%. Haven't added or subtracted lately. Would like to own "some" gold, but would rather have bought at $300/oz. Don't think there's much upside at $1200...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
My allocation to PCRIX is 5%. Haven't added or subtracted lately. Would like to own "some" gold, but would rather have bought at $300/oz. Don't think there's much upside at $1200...
My PCRIX slice is less than 5%. I haven't ever added. Its about time. As far as gold goes IMHO its got as much upside as the market has downside.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My PCRIX slice is less than 5%. I haven't ever added. Its about time. As far as gold goes IMHO its got as much upside as the market has downside.
When my rebalance bands were smaller, I added/subtracted occasionally. Also lowered allocation from 10% to 5%, somewhere in the $12 range...

Think 5% provides the diversification I am seeking.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote