Personal Portfolio Management Software

Bryan Barnfellow

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am considering purchasing Fund Management (FM) to manage my portfolio of stocks. It appears to be feature rich and costs $89 for a license. Anyone using it? Many thanks.

-BB

I am considering purchasing Fund Management (FM) to manage my portfolio of stocks. It appears to be feature rich and costs $89 for a license. Anyone using it? Many thanks.

What features are you looking for?
Are all of your stocks at one brokerage? If so, what is lacking there?
Most on this forum are DIY.

I use M* Portfolio Monitor coupled with Googlefinance (Google Sheets) to monitor my portfolio. Not sure what else I'd need to make decisions on investments.

I looked a long time for something that would work well for this and the best I could find was Fund Manager and Portfolio Slicer. Of the two I have stopped using Portfolio Slicer and will track everything with Fund Manager. Both have nice displays of data, but PS is completely manual data entry while FM supports lots of brokerages. After sampling programs over the last couple years these were the only two that were even close to what I wanted in PM software.

FM isn't perfect, but the guy who runs it has been incredibly responsive in helping with technical issues. I would like to see some features added that I'll suggest to him, but on the whole I regard the $90 as money well spent as it has 90+% of what I want to see. And, most importantly, handles multiple accounts from different places very well.

I looked a long time for something that would work well for this and the best I could find was Fund Manager and Portfolio Slicer. Of the two I have stopped using Portfolio Slicer and will track everything with Fund Manager. Both have nice displays of data, but PS is completely manual data entry while FM supports lots of brokerages. After sampling programs over the last couple years these were the only two that were even close to what I wanted in PM software.

FM isn't perfect, but the guy who runs it has been incredibly responsive in helping with technical issues. I would like to see some features added that I'll suggest to him, but on the whole I regard the $90 as money well spent as it has 90+% of what I want to see. And, most importantly, handles multiple accounts from different places very well.
That's a great first post. Welcome to E-R!

I don't want any software logging into to any of my accounts anywhere with any credentials whatsoever. Nope.

Do folks actually give out account numbers, usernames, and passwords to third or fourth party software so that they can hack into your acccounts just to download a few numbers?

I manually enter the few transactions I make. I prefer that.

Someone who thinks "they" don't already know all that. How quaint.

I don't want any software logging into to any of my accounts anywhere with any credentials whatsoever. Nope.

Do folks actually give out account numbers, usernames, and passwords to third or fourth party software so that they can hack into your acccounts just to download a few numbers?

Yes, they do. And, if they ever read all that pesky fine print that came with the account, they would discover that by handing out usernames and passwords to third parties that they have waived any security guarantees or recourse to recover identity theft losses related to the account.

Oh, sure, maybe GigaBank Inc will feel generous and make them whole anyway. And maybe it will rain pennies from heaven...

I would contact Beiley Software and ask them about the security posture of the software. According to the website, they've been in business since 1993.

Maybe Sand101 knows more about the security that the software maintains for your private information.

Sorry, no idea. I assume no different than Mint, PersonalCapital, Quicken, etc. However, these days there are extra security measures that are possible to take, and should be taken, with sensitive accounts. One should assume at some point that passwords can be cracked.

Most of my stuff is with Fidelity and they offer a front end 2 factor login scheme as well as a transactional lock on the back end that kicks in if an attempt is made to move monies. I'm sure other big places have stuff like this.

I don't have the two factor installed, but absolutely have the second locked in and is one of the reasons I chose Fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom