Pgx

No, you don't understand me correctly.

I'm pointing out that there are other discussion boards where your ideas are much less likely to be evaluated or even critiqued on their merits. If you want more adulation (or less criticism) then you should go there.

The lack of response you've noted was from people who didn't have anything nice to say or who didn't care about your chosen topics, so no one said anything. You asked, and now you're getting answers-- yet you're defensively rebutting the comments that you asked for and flinging counter-accusations.

I don't particularly care whether you or anyone else follows my line of reasoning. I'm objecting to your characterization of the board's treatement of its members. I don't appreciate your snippy little comments about "pretty please" or "3000 posts" or "cold shoulders" or the other pejoratives you're directing at us. If you're feeling that you're not being treated well then look to yourself. It's not the board's behavior-- it's yours.

Pretty common tactic-- criticizing or even attacking when your posts don't stand on their own merits. Take a good look in the mirror...

Nord, if you'll notice the thread you'll see that I'm not having a problem with the board, I seem to be having it with you. [Personal comments removed by Moderator].
A) I've never asked for adulation.
B) I'm not defensively rebutting anything. I'm holding a discussion with others who offer up their viewpoint and I'm responding in kind.
C) I'm not flinging a thing, and certainly not counter accusations.
D) It seems quite a few people are in agreement that newbies have to work their way in here.
E) I have no problem with the board behavior, I have a problem with you labeling me again and again.

To be honest, if you never responded to me again, I'd find it in my heart to overlook it. You want to be the board bully, I get it. I've seen your type plenty of times.

By BSSC: Topic please, which is PGX

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Art thanks for explainations.

A couple of last questions for you. Are you retired and what is your age?

I am a fundamental investor, primarily focused on dividend stocks for income, but not adverse to being a dirty rotten market timer. I am ignorant of technical analysis, having sworn off chart reading early in my investing career. Not saying that it is bad just, saying that for somebody who already has their nut, it entails more risk than I want.

As for options I do make use of them, but 90%+ of the time I write options. I found I lost money when I was in my 20s buying options. Typically, I write long out of the money calls on stocks I own. Lately I have been writing puts on banks that I'd be happy to own. So I have been eyeballing the 40%+ implied volitality of GOOG puts, and trying to convinced myself that owning a couple hundreds shares of GOOG in my IRA wouldn't be a bad thing... Perhaps you've met the guy selling you some options :)

clif,
I'm 49 and not what I would consider retired.
To be honest, I don't do nearly as much option trading as I used to. I used to do quite a bit of index option spreads and straddles, usually on a short term basis. I've also done some strangles on individual stocks.
Writing long out of the money options is a great strategy, as long as you don't mind giving up the stock occasionally.
Just my opinion, but I'd wait a tad on that Google stock if I were you.

As to your annuity postings... I can not see the benefit of a variable annuity... and IIRC, neither can Scott Burns. However, there IS some compelling case for an immediate paying annuity to someone who is not as financial astute to protect them from the downside.... and since you already have paid all your money, there is no 'upside' in the annuity. Maybe some with your other investments, but not the annuity itself.

There's no upside in a VA? I didn't know that.......:D

I believe TP is talking about there being no upside on a SPIA.

To be honest, even though I work at a financial company that sells variable, fixed, and indexed annuities, I have no idea how any of them work. Considering that I get the commission paid into my annuity, is this worth investigating... especially if I'm youngish?

Somebody should start a variable annuity thread. We haven't had a good flame fest here in, oh, about 30 minutes. :)

I looked at Vanguard's offering, and it didn't look terrible. Fees were reasonable compared to most. I assume the tax treatment is a potential pitfall.

Somebody should start a variable annuity thread. We haven't had a good flame fest here in, oh, about 30 minutes. :)

I looked at Vanguard's offering, and it didn't look terrible. Fees were reasonable compared to most. I assume the tax treatment is a potential pitfall.

LOL! OK, here goes nuttin'. Allianz right now has got a product that gives a raise annually (without annuitizing) on any upswing of the market, even if the value doesn't reach it's previous high. Discuss....

I believe TP is talking about there being no upside on a SPIA.

To be honest, even though I work at a financial company that sells variable, fixed, and indexed annuities, I have no idea how any of them work. Considering that I get the commission paid into my annuity, is this worth investigating... especially if I'm youngish?

Well, keep in mind you'll pay 3% a year or so in internal expenses..........does that change your mind??

LOL! OK, here goes nuttin'. Allianz right now has got a product that gives a raise annually (without annuitizing) on any upswing of the market, even if the value doesn't reach it's previous high. Discuss....

Start a new thread if you want to do that, not a place for that in this area, a VA is not stock analysis........;)

Texas,
Glad to hear some are reading.
I think I could make a very viable argument as to why annuities are worthy, but this doesn't seem like the thread for it. Actually, on this site, there doesn't seem like a good place for it.

If I recall correctly, in the thread discussing the tendency of Firecalc to show unnerving intermediate dips in one's portfolio, there was some discussion about the possibility that an immediate annuity could dampen the volatility/provide a baseline income and therefore let one feel more secure. So the issue does occasionally get discussed. But you are right, most of us here view annuities with a jaundiced eye.

If I recall correctly, in the thread discussing the tendency of Firecalc to show unnerving intermediate dips in one's portfolio, there was some discussion about the possibility that an immediate annuity could dampen the volatility/provide a baseline income and therefore let one feel more secure. So the issue does occasionally get discussed. But you are right, most of us here view annuities with a jaundiced eye.

aka - da floor:

Social Security
non cola pension
and my favorite - current yield of my portfolio. Plus a cheap bastard(and proud of it) can make this 100 - 200% of my expenses cause I've been practicing for 14 years in ER.

I did get the literature from Vanguard on variable annuities circa 1993/94 and passed.

heh heh heh - a new thread telling me how they got more competitive of late might be of interest to some.

P.S. my Vanguard expense ratio is 0.20 or so - I haven't looked in a while.

Last edited:
aka - da floor:

Social Security
I'll be lucky to see any of my SS, so have fun........:D

non cola pension
What's that?? Hmmmm....I don't have one of those........;)

and my favorite - current yield of my portfolio. Plus a cheap bastard(and proud of it)
I'm with you in this area...........

As far as "more competitive", it is not so based on internal cost, which will be troublesome to most on here............:D:D

I would encourage everyone to buy a VA or FIA from Allianz. Not only are they a great company, but our bonus pool is based on sales.

Sorry, but fixed and index annuities make no sense any more. Oh yeah, just my opinion.

First tell me how you plan to spend the bonus?;)

As it's found money and not factored into the household budget, I'll probably blow it on something like emergency savings or yet another CD ladder. Maybe a happy hour for my new favorite VA salesperson.

As it's found money and not factored into the household budget, I'll probably blow it on something like emergency savings or yet another CD ladder. Maybe a happy hour for my new favorite VA salesperson.

Hmmmmm. What state did you say you were in?

Nord, if you'll notice the thread you'll see that I'm not having a problem with the board, I seem to be having it with you. [Personal comments removed by Moderator].
A) I've never asked for adulation.
B) I'm not defensively rebutting anything. I'm holding a discussion with others who offer up their viewpoint and I'm responding in kind.
C) I'm not flinging a thing, and certainly not counter accusations.
D) It seems quite a few people are in agreement that newbies have to work their way in here.
E) I have no problem with the board behavior, I have a problem with you labeling me again and again.
To be honest, if you never responded to me again, I'd find it in my heart to overlook it. You want to be the board bully, I get it. I've seen your type plenty of times.
By BSSC: Topic please, which is PGX
As I said, my issue is with your pejorative comments.

"Board bully", eh? And yet you're the one being moderated.

I'm done with this. You have a nice life now...

As I said, my issue is with your pejorative comments.

"Board bully", eh? And yet you're the one being moderated.

I'm done with this. You have a nice life now...

By more than one moderator...........:)

Back
Top Bottom