Join Early Retirement Today

Pigs Get Slaughtered and .....
Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pigs Get Slaughtered and .....

What's the other half of this old stock market saying?

Pigs being those folks who won't sell when the stock is high, hoping for it to go even higher, and hold on as it drops and finally sell near the bottom (the slaughtering).
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered."
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #3

Ah. Thanks, Onward !
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Also there is a similar, though slightly different saying,

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
Quote:
This idiom is used to express being satisfied with enough, that being greedy or too ambitious will be your ruin.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Thank you, W2R !
Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

That's the one I know. Love that saying....................
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #7

Pork bellies on sale!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:

Yep.

I am now very heavy cash waiting on the side-line for good buying opportunities. Bring on the bear.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"It's hard to start a war without plenty of dry powder"..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Of course all those sayings are countered by "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent"

Which I take to mean it *could* continue to go up for the next decade while your dry powder gets positively desiccated.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #11

I have never understood what this expression means. Would someone be kind enough to explain please ?
Quote:
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #12

I don't know. Dr. Doom (Nouriel Robini) who called the financial crisis crash thinks stocks have room to run for the next two years. After that watch out. First time I think I have seen him be positive but of course he says it is the Fed. I am not one to fight the Fed and QE (what number are we on?). Oh that's right, it is into perpetuity, $85 billion a month until....

Dr. Doom Nouriel Roubini Thinks There Will Be a 'Party' for Asset Prices Over the Next Two Years - GuruFocus.com
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Pork bellies on sale!
I smell bacon......
Bacon, bacon,Bacon, BACON!!!!!!
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
I don't know. Dr. Doom (Nouriel Robini) who called the financial crisis crash thinks stocks have room to run for the next two years.
Is he supposed to be a good forecaster? All the articles I see online seem to show he is frequently quite wrong.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I have never understood what this expression means. Would someone be kind enough to explain please ?
It means don't be greedy. A wise person once wrote

Quote:
This idiom is used to express being satisfied with enough, that being greedy or too ambitious will be your ruin.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Even though for many people, the word "pig" may be completely synonymous for "hog", there is a general difference:

Quote:
The words "swine," "hogs," and "pigs" refer to animals of the porcine family or pig family. The term swine can also refer to the pig family in a general way, and "pig" can be used in referencing young animals. "Hog" will generally refer to animals at or nearing market weight or finished for market.
That would mean someone who is being a 'pig' is still being somewhat reasonable in their desire for more (capital gains), whereas a 'hog' is trying to get far fatter......and since farmers fatten up their livestock right before taking them to the slaughterhouse to maximize how much they weigh (and maximize how much they get for selling the animal), 'hog' is used more for when a pig is fattened up and who's imminent future includes being slaughtered.

So if you're being a 'hog' in trying to get every last cent in gains by letting it ride again and again despite already having pretty decent gains, you may be on the verge of getting slaughtered by a huge drop in price after the large run-up.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #17

Another similar investing truism-
No one ever lost $$ by taking a profit.
Many a nice gain has been lost by holding an investment too long & suffering a major downturn.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Another similar investing truism-
No one ever lost $$ by taking a profit.
Many a nice gain has been lost by holding an investment too long & suffering a major downturn.
Well, I went ahead and "pigged out". Since I have the time now to be a Capitalist Pig full time, I noticed that a stock I bought a long time ago had just about doubled in the last 4 years. So I moved a nice chunk of it into a "safer" bond fund. If the stock goes up from here, that's great. If it drops, I can say "whew, just got that profit in time!".
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Well, I went ahead and "pigged out". Since I have the time now to be a Capitalist Pig full time, I noticed that a stock I bought a long time ago had just about doubled in the last 4 years. So I moved a nice chunk of it into a "safer" bond fund. If the stock goes up from here, that's great. If it drops, I can say "whew, just got that profit in time!".
Congrats.
I've also sold some stocks whose recent gains took them to valuations (PE, PS, etc) that I felt were too high by their historical standards. I sleep a bit better locking in some of those gains. While overall US market might have a bit more room to run, there are still the haunting memories of Nikkei 39,000 (1989, now ~13,000) or Nasdaq 5,400 (early 2000, now 3,300). Nothing says that stocks which run up must stay at those higher prices
Old 05-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
gone traveling

I took the profits from my riskier investments this week and moved the proceeds to cash. I've now got about 90% historically stable funds and 10% cash so if there is a downturn I've got funding to make additional investments.

I certainly don't consider myself skilled enough to even consider timing the markets but I figured since I had very little in cash this would be a good time to establish a reserve.
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote