Pigs Get Slaughtered and .....

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What's the other half of this old stock market saying?

Pigs being those folks who won't sell when the stock is high, hoping for it to go even higher, and hold on as it drops and finally sell near the bottom (the slaughtering).

Last edited:
"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered."

"It's hard to start a war without plenty of dry powder"..............:)

Of course all those sayings are countered by "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent"

Which I take to mean it *could* continue to go up for the next decade while your dry powder gets positively desiccated. :blush:

I don't know. Dr. Doom (Nouriel Robini) who called the financial crisis crash thinks stocks have room to run for the next two years.

Is he supposed to be a good forecaster? All the articles I see online seem to show he is frequently quite wrong.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

I have never understood what this expression means. Would someone be kind enough to explain please ?
It means don't be greedy. A wise person once wrote

This idiom is used to express being satisfied with enough, that being greedy or too ambitious will be your ruin.

I have never understood what this expression means. Would someone be kind enough to explain please ?

Even though for many people, the word "pig" may be completely synonymous for "hog", there is a general difference:

The words "swine," "hogs," and "pigs" refer to animals of the porcine family or pig family. The term swine can also refer to the pig family in a general way, and "pig" can be used in referencing young animals. "Hog" will generally refer to animals at or nearing market weight or finished for market.
That would mean someone who is being a 'pig' is still being somewhat reasonable in their desire for more (capital gains), whereas a 'hog' is trying to get far fatter......and since farmers fatten up their livestock right before taking them to the slaughterhouse to maximize how much they weigh (and maximize how much they get for selling the animal), 'hog' is used more for when a pig is fattened up and who's imminent future includes being slaughtered.

So if you're being a 'hog' in trying to get every last cent in gains by letting it ride again and again despite already having pretty decent gains, you may be on the verge of getting slaughtered by a huge drop in price after the large run-up.

Last edited:
Another similar investing truism-
No one ever lost $$ by taking a profit.
Many a nice gain has been lost by holding an investment too long & suffering a major downturn.

Another similar investing truism-
No one ever lost $$ by taking a profit.
Many a nice gain has been lost by holding an investment too long & suffering a major downturn.

Well, I went ahead and "pigged out". Since I have the time now to be a Capitalist Pig full time, I noticed that a stock I bought a long time ago had just about doubled in the last 4 years. So I moved a nice chunk of it into a "safer" bond fund. If the stock goes up from here, that's great. If it drops, I can say "whew, just got that profit in time!". :flowers:

Well, I went ahead and "pigged out". Since I have the time now to be a Capitalist Pig full time, I noticed that a stock I bought a long time ago had just about doubled in the last 4 years. So I moved a nice chunk of it into a "safer" bond fund. If the stock goes up from here, that's great. If it drops, I can say "whew, just got that profit in time!". :flowers:

Congrats.
I've also sold some stocks whose recent gains took them to valuations (PE, PS, etc) that I felt were too high by their historical standards. I sleep a bit better locking in some of those gains. While overall US market might have a bit more room to run, there are still the haunting memories of Nikkei 39,000 (1989, now ~13,000) or Nasdaq 5,400 (early 2000, now 3,300). Nothing says that stocks which run up must stay at those higher prices ;)

I took the profits from my riskier investments this week and moved the proceeds to cash. I've now got about 90% historically stable funds and 10% cash so if there is a downturn I've got funding to make additional investments.

I certainly don't consider myself skilled enough to even consider timing the markets but I figured since I had very little in cash this would be a good time to establish a reserve.

Hi, think I should have replied to this thread. I quickly explained some technical analysis, historical market facts, strategy followed by most individual investors, crowd psychology and the forecasts and results achieved based on putting it all together using most of the time "paid for analysis". Well I got slaughtered. It is as it is, anyway, I'm heavy into cash now waiting for what should be a rather large downward correction, actually crash. I see some respondents here have taken the same position. The thread is "something to ponder..." Excuse typos in thread, not running spell check and not a good typist either. All the best - nice replies on the saying.

Hi, think I should have replied to this thread. I quickly explained some technical analysis, historical market facts, strategy followed by most individual investors, crowd psychology and the forecasts and results achieved based on putting it all together using most of the time "paid for analysis". Well I got slaughtered. It is as it is, anyway, I'm heavy into cash now waiting for what should be a rather large downward correction, actually crash. I see some respondents here have taken the same position. The thread is "something to ponder..." Excuse typos in thread, not running spell check and not a good typist either. All the best - nice replies on the saying.

Should mean some more room to run.

What's the other half of this old stock market saying?

Pigs being those folks who won't sell when the stock is high, hoping for it to go even higher, and hold on as it drops and finally sell near the bottom (the slaughtering).

It depends what the meaning of 'high' is. For me, 'high' is temporal. For my 5 year money, 'high' is now, and I moved all of that to cash the other day. For my 15 year money, it is all into stocks - whatever 'high' is in 2026 will be what it is. The trick will be soothing DW in each downturn between now and then.;)

Hey sailfish, you know, even tough other people may not look at it like this, but it will be the ones that did not get slaughtered who will have $ to buy when stocks are low and get the economy moving again. More likely, we'll be vilified - there has to be someone to blame.

Back
Top Bottom